Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Just got my 987.2 Spyder what should I do about this

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 10:28 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by backeddy
LOL now I NEED that top! I would be the ultimate gag going to Laguna Seca for a track day.....pull in, hop out wearing a full fire suit unpack my jack, tools, helmets etc and then pop that bad boy up and get back in the car....that would be priceless!

As far as my Spyder attitude goes, even with all of the snafu's I am still excited as hell to have this car! I will also now be asking for $$$ for my time and diminished value on the scratch now (thanks!). I stole the car for $46k so I am already ahead, throw in the $9000 top (I know I would never pay that, but somebody DID!) and I am feeling pretty damn good right now!
Score!!

Although the car did not have the LWBS it does have a completely deviated red/black interior, which is something I have only seen twice now and I really wanted (love the red leather, hate red carpets). I will post pics once this dang rain clears up.
Wow! Rare indeed. I know of another 987 Spyder owner who loved the red interior, but passed because he just thought it was too much red and needed black contrasting interior appointments to break things up a bit. If I'm not mistaken, he told me 2011 cars came with all red interiors, but in 2012 they went with red seats, but black carpeting. Good for you to land a car with this contrasting interior you preferred!
Old 10-16-2016, 11:41 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Wow! Rare indeed. I know of another 987 Spyder owner who loved the red interior, but passed because he just thought it was too much red and needed black contrasting interior appointments to break things up a bit. If I'm not mistaken, he told me 2011 cars came with all red interiors, but in 2012 they went with red seats, but black carpeting. Good for you to land a car with this contrasting interior you preferred!
Spot on, the 2011 cars were a sea of red inside and you could tone it down by adding black mats but it was still overwhelming to look at all the red which ultimately prevented me from ordering it. When the 2012 cars came out with the option for black deviating carpet I was banging my head wishing I had waited a couple of months. Mine was one of the last 2011 Spyders and literally the 12's were announced the week my car arrived to port. I like the black interior but the red with black definitely sets the car apart from others.

The carbon top looks cool, definitely a unique piece. Does it weight alot?
Old 10-18-2016, 05:15 PM
RNGRJAG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, only $9K to have your car look like Juggernaut. Cool!
Old 10-18-2016, 11:29 PM
backeddy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL so it looks like superhero? Check.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:15 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I have Black over red. Congrats! That top is wild.
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2016, 01:42 AM
backeddy
Advanced

Wow, every time I see one of these cars I can't believe how luck I am to have one! Now to get my paint correction done!
Old 11-28-2016, 09:03 PM
coffeeycups
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the spyder pick up! Did you get it fixed?
Old 11-30-2016, 02:26 AM
backeddy
Advanced

No not yet....I may just do it myself as I have extensive paint/touch up experience. I will probably this tape it off and fill with 80/20 and wet sand it out. I can live with that I believe. Sucks, because it was the only spot other than minor chips.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:20 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,798 Likes on 864 Posts

Sorry to revive an extremely old thread but going through the 987.2 Spyder threads, I came across this and had to ask some questions. I've never seen anything like this before from Porsche so is this a factory option and if so, how much and what is the option code? I assume the front attaches using the normal attachment but how does the rear end of it attach since there's only the two pegs and the two anchor points on the rear decklid which from the pictures, this hardtop doesn't seem to be using in anyway?
Old 07-30-2022, 11:22 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

No it was not a factory option…definitely aftermarket
Old 07-31-2022, 10:34 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 266 Posts

Here’s the part number in case you’re looking for one:

8465-K56H-FUGLY-NJF8

DaveGee
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveGee:
halfmonkey (08-04-2022), Only1Buck (07-31-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 04:09 AM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

The hardtop is from techart I believe
Old 08-08-2022, 05:23 PM
David Borden
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

I deal with scratches like this a lot. Someone with a lot of experience can make that look much much better but it takes skill to do it.

The way I would address it is too carefully fill in the low spot with black touchup paint using a paint pen that is used for signing artwork. They have an orifice you put a few drops of paint in and they have a tiny tip. Here is an example
Amazon Amazon

Let that dry, then use something like Lanka blob eliminator to level it out. http://www.langka.com/index.php/feat...lob-eliminator

You can either fill it and level it with the blob eliminator and call it good, or only add enough black cover it and then use professional two part clear over it and then color sand or level it with a paint plane such as the Festool LZK-HM.

Again, it takes skill and you can really screw things up if you are not careful but you may find someone local who does this stuff for high end dealers as a living. Call around and ask them for referrals for guys that touchup paint. It may not be perfect, but should be pretty good if they are skilled.

The Lanka solution is pretty easy and you wont damage anything with it so worth a shot. Once you get into sanding or shaving the high spots, that is where things can go wrong.

David

Quick Reply: Just got my 987.2 Spyder what should I do about this