Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Advice on a used 2012 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 01:49 AM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Advice on a used 2012 Spyder

So I have the chance to pick up a 2012 spyder with under 35K miles.

I've driven it once years ago in PDK, borrowing it with the top down on a perfect day, and honestly, it is still my favorite Porsche, more so than my 997.2 GTS that I recently sold.

My question to those on here who have one is: is it the right purchase for someone who would be buying this car as a 2nd car, but who lives in a place that gets a lot of rain and who would like to drive it more than just weekends -- i.e., mix it in on drives a few days a week to work or on 2 hour trips?

I've heard about the difficulty with the tops and that they can take a while to take down and put back on and have to be stored somewhere else when driving..... is all of that true? Further, how does it drive with the top up? Much noisier than a regular 987 Boxter?
I realize it's not the automated top of my 997.2 GTS or a traditional Boxter, but if it's incredibly tedious to remove and put back on and/or not the best ride when the top is up b/c of road noise or other reasons (especially when raining), I'm not sure it would be the right purchase, as amazing a car I think it is when the top is down.

thanks
Old 09-23-2016, 04:48 AM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The top is part of the charm. Having said that, it does take a minute to take down and put it up. No more. You just have to get used to the routine. It stores very conveniently in the rear trunk. No need to leave it at home. I only drive it when there's no rain forecast, in AZ that's quite often. I'd hate to get caught in rain with the top down as a minute of water can add up. Having said that I frequently drive with just half the top up and can get the back on in a hurry if need be. (the two part system is rather ingenious if you ask me) Also, it is loud with the top up. In many ways more annoying so then when the top is down. I honestly love the whole noise smells, sun top down thing but I keep earplugs in the car for my wife who gets annoyed with the constant sound on long trips. The top is a deal breaker for some people, but for me it is part of it's charm.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:55 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

I have 28,000 miles on our 2012 and have driven it in pouring rain many times. I stays amazingly dry inside. After a very few times doing it you will find putting the top up or down is a snap. It is the highest car Porsche has made in the last almost twenty year and just too much fun to drive. Also even in 100 plus degree weather it stays cool inside and the A/C does not over work.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:34 AM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Default thanks to both of you....

so the top is something you get used to pretty quickly and while it can be driven in pouring rain, it DOES get loud/potentially somewhat annoying in general with respect to interior noise when the top is up .....is what I'm taking away from this.

Another question -- do the 987 Spyders have auto rev matching or is that only only on the 981's?
Old 09-23-2016, 10:45 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Hey Bruinmd - I'll chime in here and I am sure Afshin (marineblue) won't be far behind (I must be up earlier!).

The Boxster Spyder Gen-1, IMO and others, is the sweet spot of Porsches ingenuity and engineering. As you know it is an INCREDIBLY fun car to drive and especially so with the top OFF. I drive mine 99% with the top off. When I have to put it up it's a 30 second job. Once you've done it a few times it's a snap.

Having said this, is it a good daily driver? And my immediate answer is no. With the top down it's a blast, the perfect evening & weekend sports car, but with it up it feels cramped, the cabin routinely fogs up in bad weather, and being very thin (but sturdy) it doesn't hold the heat in too well. It's not great in rush-hour traffic. It's like a spirited dog that you are trying walk on a leash - it does it but under protest. Same with the top. But strip off the top and open it up on the twisties? Whoa. What a car. So much fun.

The perfect combination is a weekend Gen-1 Spyder and a VW Golf (R or GTI) for the daily drive.

Rev matching with the PDK? I can't comment. Anyone?

Hope this helps (buying now TWO cars)

Joel

Last edited by Zeus993; 09-23-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:10 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

As noted by others, I genuinely believe the 987.2 is the pinnacle of what old school Porsche is capable of as it relates to engineering and the use of tried and true technology. I say that because there's no doubt that the new Spyder and GT4 have superior performance due to newer technology and materials. I would consider them the pinnacle of the modern Porsche era.

Having driven and owned a variety of older Porsches I think the Spyder captures the old school look and feel but also offers modern capabilities. The chassis and steering communication/feedback makes the car feel like an extension of your body and driving it at a faster pace makes for an almost out of body experience where the car and driver is melded into one uniform machine.

However it's the old school feel which makes the original Spyder a lesser car when it comes to regular use. I personally couldn't handle it for the type of commuting I do (thousand miles every other week) and I have another car to handle that. Personally I'm fine with that, it makes the drives in the spyder that much more special.

As far as the top goes, in the first 5 years of ownership I rarely used the top but with the sun being so strong here in SoCal I find that I'm using it more often to provide shade. With this new use my perspective on the top has changed.

I think you need to rethink what the Canopy top is all about. Instead of thinking of it as a typical convertible top that provides protection and insulation from the environment think of it as a top that offers the same feel as driving top down but with some weather protection. On those days where you have some dark clouds mixed with sun you keep the canopy on and if it starts to rain you simply put up your windows and you're going to stay dry. The bonus is that with the top up and windows down it's like driving a convertible with top down! The same goes for the hot sunny days where you need some shade. You put the canopy up and windows down and now you have a shaded convertible. The bonus is that the top weighs nothing so center of gravity drops as does the overall weight. It's also easy to maintain in the long run, no moving parts to worry about. It's truly genius. Is it quiet, no but driving a convertible isn't meant to be quiet. Its a way to embrace the environment and bring in the sounds and smells which are missing in a coupe/hard top. If you want quiet buy a Cayman R.

Regarding the auto rev matching, the PDK definitely has it but manual doesn't. In the manual the locations of the shifter and pedals make rev matching very easy so it can be had with some practice.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:23 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
As noted by others, I genuinely believe the 987.2 is the pinnacle of what old school Porsche is capable of as it relates to engineering and the use of tried and true technology. I say that because there's no doubt that the new Spyder and GT4 have superior performance due to newer technology and materials. I would consider them the pinnacle of the modern Porsche era.

Having driven and owned a variety of older Porsches I think the Spyder captures the old school look and feel but also offers modern capabilities. The chassis and steering communication/feedback makes the car feel like an extension of your body and driving it at a faster pace makes for an almost out of body experience where the car and driver is melded into one uniform machine.

However it's the old school feel which makes the original Spyder a lesser car when it comes to regular use. I personally couldn't handle it for the type of commuting I do (thousand miles every other week) and I have another car to handle that. Personally I'm fine with that, it makes the drives in the spyder that much more special.

As far as the top goes, in the first 5 years of ownership I rarely used the top but with the sun being so strong here in SoCal I find that I'm using it more often to provide shade. With this new use my perspective on the top has changed.

I think you need to rethink what the Canopy top is all about. Instead of thinking of it as a typical convertible top that provides protection and insulation from the environment think of it as a top that offers the same feel as driving top down but with some weather protection. On those days where you have some dark clouds mixed with sun you keep the canopy on and if it starts to rain you simply put up your windows and you're going to stay dry. The bonus is that with the top up and windows down it's like driving a convertible with top down! The same goes for the hot sunny days where you need some shade. You put the canopy up and windows down and now you have a shaded convertible. The bonus is that the top weighs nothing so center of gravity drops as does the overall weight. It's also easy to maintain in the long run, no moving parts to worry about. It's truly genius. Is it quiet, no but driving a convertible isn't meant to be quiet. Its a way to embrace the environment and bring in the sounds and smells which are missing in a coupe/hard top. If you want quiet buy a Cayman R.

Regarding the auto rev matching, the PDK definitely has it but manual doesn't. In the manual the locations of the shifter and pedals make rev matching very easy so it can be had with some practice.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the 987.2 spyder. It's so good I own two 987.2 spyders. 1st thing to do is remove the back window panel and the windblocker between the roll hoops. This will allow plenty of air with the windows down and the top still on (more of a sunshade for those in hot climates). If your caught in a downpour, just put the side windows up as the water will not come through the back.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:19 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to give my 2 cents. But I knew Afshin will eventually respond, cause his opinion is probably the most accurate and eloquent about the 987 Spyder.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:24 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Spyder is an awsome fun open car. It is intended to be driven top down. However the top keeps you dry, better than the old speedster tops.

At higher speed (130 km/h+) it will be noisy and can be annoing. In my opinion the top really adds a lot of character to the car.

I would defenitely try it, if you don't like it you can always move on...
Old 09-23-2016, 05:54 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Default LOTS OF GOOD INFO....

thanks. The one I'm looking at is a manual, so that means it won't have rev matching, which is fine. I know the 981's do.

I have been thinking about leaving Porsche for a while after having had a 2007 Cayman S and then a 2011 997.2 GTS cab.........was about to pull the trigger on the M2 (am #1 on my list and production for my order -- if i keep it-- will go through Nov). The M2 has auto rev matching and a light clutch.

I had always considered the Spyder, but thought the top might be a deal breaker, and therefore had given serious thought to waiting on getting a 981 in a few years, given the unreal feedback I've read on that car here on this forum.
I had the chance to pick one up at a great price in Houston a couple of months ago, but turned it down.

What about the clutch on the 987.2 Spyder? Light/heavy? My 997.2 was a PDK, but I know 997's clutches are somewhat heavy, but not overbearing.
How does the Spyder's clutch compare to that?
Old 09-23-2016, 10:43 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bruinmd
thanks. The one I'm looking at is a manual, so

I have been thinking about leaving Porsche for a while after having had a 2007 Cayman S and then a 2011 997.2 GTS cab.........was about to pull the trigger on the M2 (am #1 on my list and production for my order -- if i keep it-- will go through Nov). The M2 has auto rev matching and a light clutch.

I had always considered the Spyder, but thought the top might be a deal breaker, and therefore had given serious thought to waiting on getting a 981 in a few years, given the unreal feedback I've read on that car here on this forum.
I had the chance to pick one up at a great price in Houston a couple of months ago, but turned it down.

What about the clutch on the 987.2 Spyder? Light/heavy? My 997.2 was a PDK, but I know 997's clutches are somewhat heavy, but not overbearing.
How does the Spyder's clutch compare to that?
that means it won't have rev matching, which is fine. I know the 981's do.

IT HAS REV-MATCHING. YOU JUST DO IT MANUALLY.

CLUTCH = PERFECT. NOT HEAVY NOR LIGHT. PERFECT.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:27 AM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Got it-- good to know.

How's the gearing? One of the things on the 981 I've read is how the gearing is a bit tall. How does the 987.2 compare?
Old 09-24-2016, 10:35 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Got it-- good to know.

How's the gearing? One of the things on the 981 I've read is how the gearing is a bit tall. How does the 987.2 compare?
I've never had any attention on it other than 3rd gear is a perfect gear for a spirited run up through the local twisties. In 3rd I can power up , keep the revs between 4500 - 7000 and never hit the brakes. It is fantastic, almost effortless to some degree. The gearing is different than the 981, which many have commented on as being "tall".
Old 09-24-2016, 01:35 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 774 Likes on 357 Posts

I test drove one this morning. I desperately wanted to love it, but it lacked a sense of occasion.

I blame myself, not the car.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:40 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Got it-- good to know.

I think the best response to most of your questions is that there's really nothing that "takes away" from the incredible driving experience. Your mind never really loses focus due to bad gearing, rubbery shifter, dead steering, odd reactions to steering or throttle input or other drawbacks.

I think the one improvement that could help is a bit more music from the exhaust. I wish PSE were slightly louder. Porsche listened to this feedback and the new Spyder makes a glorious sound.

Quick Reply: Advice on a used 2012 Spyder