Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Another Spyder review with some comparison to 1st gen Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015 | 10:25 AM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Another Spyder review with some comparison to 1st gen Spyder

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...s-really-more/

Also more pictures...
Old 12-10-2015 | 01:25 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Very interesting review. I really liked the 987 Spyder, but I'm too tall for it so it was never an option for me. Sounds like those with a 987 have an a winner or unicorn if you will. I will take the 981 with the extra inch of leg room and another inch if you take the standard seats and be happy myself, but I'll always wonder what I'm missing.
Old 12-10-2015 | 03:56 PM
croctor
Intermediate

New owners posting on this site seem to be very pleased with the Spyder.
Journalists need an angle when writing their story and that's all I'm seeing here
Old 12-10-2015 | 04:00 PM
bassie81
Racer

And what a comparison it is.....

I haven't had a change yet to drive a new one but if this turns out to be the general opinion amongst porsche enthousiasts old spyders are a true gem, and a bargain at this price level.

Snap one up while you can!!
Old 12-10-2015 | 11:21 PM
kskpsu
Instructor

Originally Posted by croctor
New owners posting on this site seem to be very pleased with the Spyder.
Journalists need an angle when writing their story and that's all I'm seeing here
Yep. All articles, positive or negative, are editorials and subjective. I remember a tester at Motor Trend concluding how much he hated the BMW 1M. I have one, and I adore it. So do many other owners and members of the media. The 987 Spyder had its share of dissenters...possibly more than the 981 Spyder. Find what resonates with you, make it your reality, and enjoy. For me, the 981 is everything I've ever wanted and took my 987 nice to have thoughts to a new level...must have.
Old 12-11-2015 | 11:14 AM
RossL
Rennlist Member

I think this reviewer is suffering from nostalgia. I just sold my Cayman R for a Boxster Spyder and while the R isn't a previous gen they are very similar. The Boxster Spyder is better in every way apart from the steering feel. The steering feel is definitely lacking but I'm nitpicking because compared to any other car, the steering is great.
Old 12-11-2015 | 12:13 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RossL
I think this reviewer is suffering from nostalgia. I just sold my Cayman R for a Boxster Spyder and while the R isn't a previous gen they are very similar. The Boxster Spyder is better in every way apart from the steering feel. The steering feel is definitely lacking but I'm nitpicking because compared to any other car, the steering is great.
You are absolutely right. The steering feel, when driven back to back, will be the only area (tangible or intangible) where 987 Spyder would better 981's. Panorama's review of 981 base (X73, PTV) against 987 Spyder confirmed it. I have read about many 987 owners, like yourself, jumping ship to 981 Spyder and echoing your comments. In fact, I had just closed a deal on a 987 Spyder and about to fly out to LA to take delivery when the Panorama article came out. After reading it, I canceled the deal! Now, waiting on 981!

At the same time, would I swing for a 987 Spyder if I can financially wing it? Absolutely! Sadly, I am not affluent enough! Oh, one more thing 987 has which is better: handbrake!

Last edited by spyderphile; 12-11-2015 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Added content.
Old 12-11-2015 | 02:57 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Ugh, so true on the hand brake! I hate the electronic brake!
Old 12-11-2015 | 05:22 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

That was a great read! The author has an enormous amount of respect for the new model, it's just that the older model was more to his liking. They are different cars and both are great, each will have their own fan base.

Personally I really identified with his review. I have not driven the new model, so I don't have an opinion there, but his review of the old model is spot on. I've owned a lot of wonderful cars (see signature) and driven even more and IMO the 987 Spyder is really special. Even compared to the GT3 that is parked next to it in the garage. It's a great example of the sum being greater than the parts. You don't expect it to be as much fun as it is, but it just works in a truly wonderful way.
Old 12-11-2015 | 09:49 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jakermc
That was a great read! The author has an enormous amount of respect for the new model, it's just that the older model was more to his liking. They are different cars and both are great, each will have their own fan base.

Personally I really identified with his review. I have not driven the new model, so I don't have an opinion there, but his review of the old model is spot on. I've owned a lot of wonderful cars (see signature) and driven even more and IMO the 987 Spyder is really special. Even compared to the GT3 that is parked next to it in the garage. It's a great example of the sum being greater than the parts. You don't expect it to be as much fun as it is, but it just works in a truly wonderful way.
That's exactly how I interpreted the article as well. Porsche's in general will always improve performance with each new model but that doesn't mean the previous models are no longer worth owning. Each model has it's unique characteristics, nuances and appeal. Having driven many cars over the years I genuinely believe the 987.2 Spyder is a special car, it connects with the driver in ways I haven't experienced in any other car. Ideally I would like one of each as I believe the 981 Spyder would satisfy my craving for more power!

In the end it really comes down to personal preference and what you really want from the car.
Old 12-12-2015 | 02:43 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Glad someone is still giving the 987 Spyder some love. I must admit that I do have some curiosity to trade up. But this...

"Perhaps the '16 Boxster Spyder's greatest sin is that where the previous iteration was a purist car, this one comes across as more of a marketing exercise."

I bought the 987 Spyder sight unseen, over the phone, no test drives and never sat in the buckets either. I guess I have to drive the 981 Spyder first.
Old 12-12-2015 | 05:44 PM
Sven76
Pro

Very fair and honest review, made it very clear which car is the "better" one and why he still likes the other...
Old 12-12-2015 | 08:19 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

My buddy owned a 987.2 Spyder and he allowed me to drive it at Sebring raceway for a parade lap a few years ago. Granted the speed possible in such a situation wasn't that great, so I couldn't asses the performance. What I do recall is the engine sound was nowhere near as nice as what I enjoy with my recently delivered 981 Spyder. Not 30 minutes ago a guy in the next lane told me at the traffic light that he'd been listening to my car from behind and he loved the sound of my engine. He said it sounds "way better than a Mustang". I told him thanks, but to be fair, the GT350 with that flat plane crank V8 sounds just as good in it's own right.
Old 12-12-2015 | 08:48 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
My buddy owned a 987.2 Spyder and he allowed me to drive it at Sebring raceway for a parade lap a few years ago. Granted the speed possible in such a situation wasn't that great, so I couldn't asses the performance. What I do recall is the engine sound was nowhere near as nice as what I enjoy with my recently delivered 981 Spyder. Not 30 minutes ago a guy in the next lane told me at the traffic light that he'd been listening to my car from behind and he loved the sound of my engine. He said it sounds "way better than a Mustang". I told him thanks, but to be fair, the GT350 with that flat plane crank V8 sounds just as good in it's own right.
No doubt that Porsche has improved the exhaust note on the 981.

As far as generating a realistic assessment on a car, it's very difficult to do that with a short drive of someone else's car where you need to be mindful of taking it easy. Best way to evaluate is a driving school or rental where you feel comfortable flogging the car without concern of offending anyone.
Old 12-13-2015 | 12:23 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Considering the difference between a 3.4 versus a 3.8 that is understandable. However with sport exhaust my venerable 3.4 sounds great too me. When I fire up my 911 3.3 with the Billy Boat exhaust it holds it own any of the new Porsche exhausts outside the GT3/RS's.

FYI I heard a new Mustang Cobra that is arriving soon and I have heard nothing better than that engine and exhaust in a very long time. Ford did wonders with that engine.

Quick Reply: Another Spyder review with some comparison to 1st gen Spyder