Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Another Spyder review with some comparison to 1st gen Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 12:59 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

The writer makes perfect sense; Porsches have continued to get faster and more refined over the years. Every Porsche fan will have a different point in evolution that they find to be the right balance.

I had a 987 Spyder and found that while it was great fun in the canyons, the 3.4 lacked power and soul. While the 3.8 with appropriate exhaust tuning seems to have addressed that (at a very steep price premium), the 981 Spyder roof is an evolutionary step too far, IMO. For all its criticisms, the 987 Spyder roof was a fabulous piece of uncompromising engineering.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:24 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

The reviewer: "It's (981 Spyder) is a better faster more capable car" but I like the 987 Spyder better. Huh?

All I can say as someone who has had 6 prevous Boxsters starting with the 986, each new iteration was an improvement. My current 981BS is better in every way compared to my previous 987BS. And the slightly damped steering feel doesn't particularly bother me.

It's interesting the same reviewers fall over themselves with regard to the GT4 which also has electric steering and is less "minimal" than the Cayman R.

Just all around a lot of Spyder hate from the journalists. I haven't read a glowing review yet but that doesn't bother me in the least. I got my allocation. There will be fewer numbers, it will be a rarer car.

The best looking, lightest weight, open top production Porsche with that nice big Carrera S 3.8L engine behind the seats. ill take mine to go.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:26 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

You know it's kind of funny about all this. It's hard to know where the TRUTH lies until you understand that there is no right or wrong, no truth. Is the 964 or 993 a better car than the 997's or 991's? Having driven them both I would say a resounding "hell no". But that's not why we like them. The same goes with the current discussion of the 987.2 Vs. 981 Boxster Spyders. There both fantastic cars yet there is no question that technically the 981 is the better car. It goes faster, possibly corners better, has more doo-dads on the dash etc... but that's not why we like the 987.2 Spyder. Like the 964's and 993's before it we like it for its old school mechanical quirkiness, something very missing in today's digital world. We like it for that brilliantly engineered roof that brings out the rigging up of tents and wind surfing sails in us. We like it for the minimalistic interior, for it's hydraulic steering and design details like the point side windows that rake back to follow the curves of the "power domes. The top design allowed them to do this Vs. having rounded side windows in the 981, so it's less compromised but let's face it, quirky. And on paper is the .2 technically as advanced as the 981? Hell no. And congratulations to those new 981 Spyder owners who are fortunate to own one. They're awesome cars and I personally look forward to driving one. There is no question they carry the Porsche tradition of a road going race car like all the cars before them. And to all the boy racers who own them? Drive 'em like you stole 'em! That's exactly what we .2 Spyder owners do. Welcome to the club.

Last edited by Zeus993; 12-13-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:28 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 255 Posts

I have the factory sport exhaust on my 987 Spyder and think it's a perfect match for the car. It's a bit higher pitched, so it makes the car sound 'fun' and instead of 'mean'. Like I said, a good match. I smile listening to its sounds almost as much as I did driving my old 355 Challenge at Road America, with its sounds bouncing off the walls.

Yes, the car could benefit from more power. But the car I replaced in the garage was a 1978 Triumph Spitfire so I really wasn't trying to scratch that itch. I wanted an old school feel but with modern reliability. From that perspective, I love how the top looks and operates, which can actually be put up faster than the one on the Triumph. But manual enough to feel like I'm going back in time. Just perfect!
Old 12-13-2015, 01:46 PM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Very interesting review. I really liked the 987 Spyder, but I'm too tall for it so it was never an option for me. Sounds like those with a 987 have an a winner or unicorn if you will. I will take the 981 with the extra inch of leg room and another inch if you take the standard seats and be happy myself, but I'll always wonder what I'm missing.
Is Standard Seat's is what it takes for tall people to fit in the newer Boxster/Cayman; talking about the Four Way seat? I remember fitting into the newer 981, at a showroom, I believe that to be the correct designation? Because I sure didn't fit in the older model being six foot five.

I would love a Cayman or used Spyder but if the next Audi TT RS is about the same price as a bespoke Cayman or used you know what I will more than likely go with the Audi since they are finally making their S-tronic a PDK. Don't know if they will just call it the PDK or give it an updated "Duel Clutch" S-Tronic designation! Don't know if the TT RS will land in Geneva or not? More than likely I would think.

Last edited by The New 911; 12-13-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:32 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

having had the 987 Spyder and based on my time with the GT4, I think the 981 Spyder will be closer to ideal for me (especially if the dynamic engine mounts reduces/eliminates the rear axle hop). The only thing that would make the 981 Spyder more ideal is if it were 7/8ths or even 9/10ths the size.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:19 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by The New 911
Is Standard Seat's is what it takes for tall people to fit in the newer Boxster/Cayman; talking about the Four Way seat? I remember fitting into the newer 981, at a showroom, I believe that to be the correct designation? Because I sure didn't fit in the older model being six foot five.

I would love a Cayman or used Spyder but if the next Audi TT RS is about the same price as a bespoke Cayman or used you know what I will more than likely go with the Audi since they are finally making their S-tronic a PDK. Don't know if they will just call it the PDK or give it an updated "Duel Clutch" S-Tronic designation! Don't know if the TT RS will land in Geneva or not? More than likely I would think.
S-Tronic for the TT has been dual clutch ever since the Mk1 TT V6 S line... In fact that model was the first ever production car launched with a dual clutch transmission. I think you are thinking of the entry level automatic.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:52 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by The New 911
The base seat (no extra charge). The one with the manual controls. I think it's called the "Sport Seat"? I'm 6'2" and with shoes taller.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:15 AM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by navanoD
S-Tronic for the TT has been dual clutch ever since the Mk1 TT V6 S line... In fact that model was the first ever production car launched with a dual clutch transmission. I think you are thinking of the entry level automatic.
Great, thanks for the info. Audi didn't bring the Audi TT S RS with S Tronic, only Manual, to the States the first time the RS was available. But the next TT S RS will have it and it will help me from having a $30K Bill on the option's tab when if I was to acquire a bespoke Porsche. Don't know why Audi didn't bring it to the States, The Dual Clutch, the first time. It would have been direct competition for the Boxster's, Cayman's and lower end 911's . A car that cheap doing sub 4, 0 to 60's for less than a tarted up Boxster? It was probably Porsche's Brass calling foul or throwing a fit!

Last edited by The New 911; 12-17-2015 at 03:32 PM. Reason: SS RS had late 60's Camaro on my mind

Quick Reply: Another Spyder review with some comparison to 1st gen Spyder