Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Is 981 Cayman R (thereby, Spyder) Imminent?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 12:05 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Is 981 Cayman R (thereby, Spyder) Imminent?

I was reading the latest issue of 'evo' magazine, in which they were listing new models coming in '14. One of them is Cayman R. Are they mistaking GTS for R? The brief story was clear about Porsche Motorsport's hand in tuning it. 'evo' is not the kind of magazine that publishes random speculations; and, they know the difference between GTS and R. The spy shots of supposed-GTS have been clear. So, what's the deal? Is Porsche about to pull off a fast one on everyone?

cheers. henry.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:28 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems to me the Spyder has been enthusiastically received, no reason to believe it's a dead product line, however, if it was that would only make it that much more special.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

I imagine no one knows for sure.

Remember, the Cayman R and Boxster Spyder were the last versions of the 987.2 platform. So far, we only have the 981. No facelift yet. Although there were a couple 'limited editions' of the 987.1, so who knows?

Also - there will always be something newer and better on the horizon. Buy what you want now. Otherwise you will be forever waiting.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
I was reading the latest issue of 'evo' magazine, in which they were listing new models coming in '14. One of them is Cayman R. Are they mistaking GTS for R?
Yes, they are. No Cayman R for MY2014 or MY2015. After .2 981 facelift in MY2016? Who knows? But the 981 GTS is going to be everything the 987 Cayman R was...and MORE! What I don't expect to see in the 981 (even .2 version) is the Spyder's light-weight (13 lbs or so) manual 'Bimini' top. I personally don't think Porsche will truly make a light-weight version of the 981 Boxster! And that manual top was an integral part of the formula for making the Spyder the lowest weight Porsche model in recent history! But they might do a limited edition Boxster & Cayman (call it Spyder, Cayman R or gts sport) & give it more power towards the end of the .2 981 production run. They normally will do this to boost sales as interest wanes & a new Boxster/Cayman platform is just over the horizon!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS. Do you remember the recent Pistonheads' interview of Walter Röhrl where he was quoted as saying he has already ordered a new Boxster Spyder?

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...er-spyder.html

You can't believe all that is written in the automotive media.
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2014, 10:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,657 Likes on 2,325 Posts

R and spyder: for sure
but diluted, fat and gentrified for the not so purist.

eudardo, when is GTS coming? i have deposit down, but as you know, dealers know a lot more than you do..... right... ha
Old 03-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
R and spyder: for sure
but diluted, fat and gentrified for the not so purist.

eudardo, when is GTS coming? i have deposit down, but as you know, dealers know a lot more than you do..... right... ha
Beijing Auto Show in April (next month!). That was supposed to be the official 'debut', with production to start probably as MY2015 981's roll into production at Zuffenhausen and Osnabrück in June. But what do I know....I am just sipping Ardbeg here in Carmel & mostly reading about how the 991 gt3 boys are crying re: the Stop Sale & No Drive over at their Rennlist forum!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 03-15-2014, 01:01 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

My favorite Porsche at the moment, if they sell them light weight and stripped. Let's hope it's not just 15HP and spoilers......

They will probably **** it up too..
Old 03-15-2014, 02:13 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Mooty will gut them out and make them light weight and stripped for you. He will even store it for you on the west coast.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:14 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What Ray said about newer and better is quite on point. Additionally, everyone has an opinion, a guy in this months Excellence was defending the 911/ 964 against the magazine bashing it over and over and IMO he made some very good points. Then this week when yahoo talked about Porsche's return to racing someone had to leave the obligatory "Boxster isn't a real Porsche" post. When pushed about the Spyder version they just downvoted it, in short trying to sway the opinions of people on any subject to me is folly. As Peter Gabriel once sang " I'd rather trust a man who doesn't shout what he's found". I could care less what anyone says about my ride because I like it.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

So if Porsche follows their standard trends then the GTS will be the equivalent of the RS60 that was introduced shortly before the 987.2 to keep interest in the vehicle high. The RS60 to this day has a strong following and it is a very attractive package. Continuing that trend, the Spyder and R would be introduced at the end of the 981.2 production as everyone else has stated. But as Eduardo has noted, will Porsche go as far to put a manual top and unique bodywork? It's tough to say since that was the one thing that prevented the Spyder from becoming really popular.

Mooty's comment does bring up a good point. Porsche has continued to make there cars easier to live with at the cost of losing some of the driving experience. The exceptions seem to be the GT3RS and Spyder which sacrifice daily usability for improved driving feel and capabilities. The Cayman R would also fall into this category assuming A/C was deleted and sport buckets were kept.

Even with all these new models coming out I still love my Spyder. It has never failed to capture my attention both in driving and visual appeal. It still checks off all the boxes of what I dreamed of being the perfect sports car.

Buy what you are drawn to and don't look back. You won't regret it.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:16 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 223 Posts

Agreed.
It's very rare to see any of the publications say a new Porsche isn't as good as the previous model.
Base 981 X73 v. Spyder? The base 981 is a nice car, and maybe better DD due to comfort/refinement. But it doesn't have Spyder/R feel/performance, and their conclusion
immediately made me think there might be other reasons that biased their opinion after being underwhelmed by a test drive in the base car.

Regarding the GTS, power improvements and weight savings, something many haven't been noticing is that the 981
already has the aluminum door advantage the R/Spyder has. In other words, it can't lose those 33lb., nor will many
order it with no A/C or radio/nav etc. That leaves fewer places to lose weight, and along with the corporate leaked 15hp bump,
it's looking like a very mild package, also considering the 991/981/987 9A1 3.4's are the same and can be matched with a DME flash.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:35 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks, everyone. I was reasonably clear about Porsche's product road map. I actually didn't expect 981 Spyder to show up now. For that matter, even GTS is arriving bit early; but, that could be because, 981 platform possibly switching to flat-4 turbo. The 'evo' story is messed up, which is disappointing. At least, I hope that they are right about the part Porsche Motorsports playing a role in tuning the GTS (what they think as R).

We should know real soon about GTS. I am going to wait to see how that turns out. Here in Minnesota, we are gifted with 6-months of winter anyway! So, I am not in a hurry.

cheers. henry.

Quick Reply: Is 981 Cayman R (thereby, Spyder) Imminent?