Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

New Spyder Owner Saying Hello

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 07:36 PM
rohitgarewal
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile New Spyder Owner Saying Hello

My journey on picking up a Boxter Spyder or Cayman R started in July last year as I was trading in my Audi S4 (end of lease). I couldn't find the Cayman R I wanted, and no Spyders were available, and my wife convinced me that we needed a sedan, so I bought an AMG E63. Fast forward 1 year, and though I loved the E63 for its comfort, engineering, and amazing V8, I missed having a true 'drivers' car, and kept thinking about the Porsche. It doesn't help that my neighbor has a beautiful white Cayman R.

I started browsing autotrader last week, and boy was that a mistake! I saw that some used, low mileage Spyders started hitting the market, and for significant discounts over MSRP - all thoughts of the Cayman R were soon forgotten as I remember the one spyder I saw on the street and did a double, no, triple take.

I've basically gotten no work done for the past week as I've obsessed over and read every article and forum posting on the Spyder that I could find, and finally today I put a deposit down on the perfect Spyder for me. A Carrera Red Spyder with Sports Chrono, Sports Exhaust, Sports Shifter, Carbon Fiber bucket seats, AC, and only 524 miles!

The final paperwork will get handled tomorrow, and the car should be here in about 2 weeks. I will definitely post pictures when I get it, and glad to join the Porsche community.

Let's see what all the excitement is about Oh, and I finally can concentrate on work again!

*UPDATE
Finally received the car, and WOW, it's everything I hoped. It still has too few miles for me to really open it up, but I'm glad I found a car with the sports exhaust option, because man does it sound sweet. I don't know $2000 option more sweet, but for what I paid I love it. As promised, some pictures!
http://sdrv.ms/1f5vmtJ

Last edited by rohitgarewal; 08-22-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Congratulations on the new Spyder! Wow, 524 miles. What a shame for the previous owner to own such a car and not drive it. Looking at them is only a small part of the fun.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Enjoy in good health!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:38 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 215 Posts

Congrats it's fantastic car. I bought a high milage car with 2,850 miles on the od in June. I've put 600 miles on it since and will be at my second ax this weekend.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:38 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

2,850 is high mileage?

Lots of new spyder owners lately. Welcome!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:43 PM
rohitgarewal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Congratulations on the new Spyder! Wow, 524 miles. What a shame for the previous owner to own such a car and not drive it. Looking at them is only a small part of the fun.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Enjoy in good health!
Apparently the previous owner has a very high turn-over on cars. Elderly guys that goes through Porsches like water through hands. It would be great if the previous owner is Rennelister so I get to 'meet' him!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:45 PM
rohitgarewal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
Congrats it's fantastic car. I bought a high milage car with 2,850 miles on the od in June. I've put 600 miles on it since and will be at my second ax this weekend.
You've put six thousand miles in 1.5 months? Impressive, and awesome!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:46 PM
rohitgarewal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
2,850 is high mileage?

Lots of new spyder owners lately. Welcome!
I think we are picking up Spyders from those previous owners that liked the idea of a Spyder but at the end of the day it wasn't the right car for them.

I pulled the trigger on this one because I feel once these are gone less people will sell theirs, not more!

Either way I am sure I am going to love it!
Old 08-06-2013, 03:14 AM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rohitgarewal

I think we are picking up Spyders from those previous owners that liked the idea of a Spyder but at the end of the day it wasn't the right car for them.

I pulled the trigger on this one because I feel once these are gone less people will sell theirs, not more!

Either way I am sure I am going to love it!
I think you are absolutely right. Mine had 3k on it when I bought it a few months ago. I've already doubled that. I'm never selling this car. Such a unique, rare and (nearly) perfect automobile. Congrats...excellent build BTW. Please do post pics.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:07 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed very good time to buy, and very low mile cars have been aggressively priced for sale especially on the East coast where fall/winter are around the corner. Not for us lucky chaps out West! I cant think of a better place on the planet to drive the Spyder year round than San Diego, and thats just what I plan to do.

PS there is a beautiful CPO black Spyder with PSE and 1000miles on the odo at Porsche Conshohocken if anyone is interested. No affiliation of course.

And congrats on your car Rohit, love the ticket me please guards red!
Old 08-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Boostu
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I must have one of the higher mileage Spyders then. I bought mine last May with 12k miles and it just recently retired from daily driver duties and has 20k miles on it now.

Congrats on the purchase and enjoy! I was dead set on buying a 997.1 GT3 after a year or so with the Spyder and I can't bring myself to sell it.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

25k miles here. Not worried about depreciation. Having too much fun with it and may never sell!!!
Old 08-08-2013, 11:59 AM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. I think miles are a non-issue on these cars. When I was in the market some Spyders with more than 20k miles were selling for the same $$ as cars with almost no miles on them. Bottom line, just take good care of them and you can't lose.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:06 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 67 Posts

Almost to 36k on mine!
Old 08-11-2013, 04:49 PM
rohitgarewal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by svb
Agreed very good time to buy, and very low mile cars have been aggressively priced for sale especially on the East coast where fall/winter are around the corner. Not for us lucky chaps out West! I cant think of a better place on the planet to drive the Spyder year round than San Diego, and thats just what I plan to do.

PS there is a beautiful CPO black Spyder with PSE and 1000miles on the odo at Porsche Conshohocken if anyone is interested. No affiliation of course.

And congrats on your car Rohit, love the ticket me please guards red!
Svb I was looking at that car. I will say that I was VERY impressed with Porsche Conshohocken, and Brian the rep I worked with was truly amazing. He sent me pics, and even a video so I could hear the sound. I eventually went with a different one simply because I wanted red, but as a testament to their professionalism instead of getting upset with me Brian wished me well and said he hoped to do business in the future. Anyone, if you're interested in this car, pm me and I will let you know the details and the price I think you can get it for.

Cheers!
Old 08-12-2013, 10:49 AM
pjmachineco

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great find!!
Welcome to the party!!!

Quick Reply: New Spyder Owner Saying Hello