Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder track prep

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Boostu
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Spyder track prep

I'm looking to hit the track again after a one year break and I want to get the Spyder up to spec beforehand.

The car is pretty basic, 6 speed manual with the sport seats (not the GT2 seats, pretty bummed about that). After an incident with my last track car, having the proper seats and harness is the top priority. That said, I'm not looking to spend $7-8k on the GT2 seats, that's just insanity.

What seats, aftermarket or otherwise, are recommended for the 987.2? Leather would be nice due to it being a convertible but if I'm honest, rain isn't something we see often in Phoenix. I have my eyes on a set of used 996 GT3 seats but I've read a few people having concerns about the lack of a side airbag. Is this a real concern (real meaning legal and/or airbag system issues) or just hot air from people on the internet? I am good running the car without side airbags on the street as long as the airbag light can be cleared and the other airbags function as intended. I'm 5'11" with a 34" waist so hopefully most seats won't give me grief.

I've had the Spyder on the track once and on an 80 degree day the engine temperatures started climbing toward the end of the day. I imagine a center radiator kit is also mandatory for these cars. Is there anything else I should look at? I'd like to do the GT3 brake master cylinder, ducts, and a new set of rotors/pads but that can wait. Safety and reliability take a higher priority in the budget.

To recap, I need recommendations on:

- Seats (OEM or otherwise)
- Harness (preferably 6-point)

One last question, can the stock 3-point belt be retained for use on the street with a 6-point harness in place? I did this in my old Elise so hopefully it can be done with a Porsche.

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2013, 05:46 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostu
To recap, I need recommendations on:

- Seats (OEM or otherwise)
- Harness (preferably 6-point)

One last question, can the stock 3-point belt be retained for use on the street with a 6-point harness in place? I did this in my old Elise so hopefully it can be done with a Porsche.
- 996 GT3 Euro seats. I've had them in my 987 Boxster S. They fit and look great (they were OEM in Europe and even have the Porsche crest) -- especially helpful in a convertible. -

- Schroth harnesses

- No problem whatsoever using your 3-point belts for the street with harnesses installed. The shoulder straps will just hang behind the seats.

Quick Reply: Spyder track prep