Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Cayman GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 07:54 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

I think Porsche may be realizing that the Cayman makes a pretty damn good platform. The recent results in the Rolex 24 and in Pirelli World Challenge (Jack Baldwin/Goldcrest Motorsports- http://www.world-challenge.com/news/...php?story=2878) are good indicators. Maybe this is the beginning of the 911 to a true Grand Touring auto?
Old 03-30-2013, 08:05 AM
hankhoh
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not get the Ruf 3800S? Cayman body, 3.8l with 420bhp..
Old 03-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
I think Porsche may be realizing that the Cayman makes a pretty damn good platform. The recent results in the Rolex 24 and in Pirelli World Challenge (Jack Baldwin/Goldcrest Motorsports- http://www.world-challenge.com/news/...php?story=2878) are good indicators. Maybe this is the beginning of the 911 to a true Grand Touring auto?
With exception to the GT3 & RS cars the 911 has been more grand touring for a while now. I would go as far back as the 996 or even the last few iterations of the 993. Porsche knows its demographics and they are building their cars to meet their customers expectations.

I wonder if Porsche would make a more extreme Boxster to go along with the Cayman GT. Something beyond what the Spyder is.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:50 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it may not make sense for p to build as track worthy a car from the boxster. Track cars should be coupes, and they already price the cayman higher, so it would make for a cleaner hierarchy in their line if the more expensive coupe has a GT variant. That being said, I love open cars on track!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:11 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
I think it may not make sense for p to build as track worthy a car from the boxster. Track cars should be coupes, and they already price the cayman higher, so it would make for a cleaner hierarchy in their line if the more expensive coupe has a GT variant. That being said, I love open cars on track!
Agreed. The body rigidity offered by the Cayman is awesome. Lets keep our Boxsters focused on the twisty's
Old 03-30-2013, 06:49 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me...

With the 991GT3 showing off very impressive lap times, they have room to bump up the game with the Cayman significantly. This will capture the small segment that wants a simple, lightweight, and involving machine. They can 'hobble' the cayman by offering a slower manual transmission and 'cripple' it by not giving it 4WS. It will still be slower than the GT3, but the segment this special cayman is aimed at won't care.
Indeed, it makes sense to me too. A 968 ClubSport / 964 RS type of car in the shape of a Cayman for the track enthusiasts, targeting the Lotus segment. Could be a great car!

I posted this in the GT3 forum a while back but was shot down immediately
Old 03-30-2013, 06:51 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by perfectlap
They should bust out some of those Carrera GT engines sitting around at the factory collecting dust.
This has been attempted in a 987 Boxster, but no success. Too narrow chassis and could not handle the power.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:46 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 206 Posts

This thread had got me thinking. Suppose there were two porsche's of equal suspension, trans, engine. One has a 50/50 (or close to it) weight distribution and one has the rear weight bias so common in the 911 platform. Which would the race teams be picking up? I could be wrong, but I think most serious race cars are still rear weight biased, right? maybe the easier driving of the 50/50 would be more favorable for endurance racing whereas the rear weight bias would be better for shorter races? Thoughts?
Old 03-31-2013, 04:37 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
This was posted in the GT3 forum:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11303285...n-gt3-possible

Interesting that AP is reportedly involved. Perhaps there is hope...
Nice thought, but I don't see it happening.

Porsche has more than a few opportunities to do this right and has run away each time.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:55 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

Guys,

I am chomping at the bit right now to build this car for ANY OF YOU! I wait patiently for someone to go out there and purchase a $75K 2014 Cayman S with PDK and include in its glovebox another check for $30K and I will returnt this car to you with a Guard Transmission motorsports PDK LSD, a DFI 9A1 3.8L conversion, Cargraphic headers and some light intake work. When the encryption is broken and I can write to the ECU, power to the wheels will be in the 400/300 range. I am not opposed to building a 6-speed version either! Furthermore, if I can find a home for our existing 987.2 PDK race car, we are going to launch this project immediately ourselves.

Andreas did not work on the Cayman and in fact, anyone at Porsche Motorsport worldwide will most likely deny any R&D on anything Cayman related. While all of these projects have existed, you will not be told the truth about how well the cars behaved. I can't imagine a GT3 level Cayman coming out when they haven't even dared to install a 3.6 or a 3.8 in the car to test the waters.

If the motor in the 991 S makes 400/325 at the crank, why wouldn't that engine be just perfect in a Cayman?!?!?!?!?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
This thread had got me thinking. Suppose there were two porsche's of equal suspension, trans, engine. One has a 50/50 (or close to it) weight distribution and one has the rear weight bias so common in the 911 platform. Which would the race teams be picking up? I could be wrong, but I think most serious race cars are still rear weight biased, right? maybe the easier driving of the 50/50 would be more favorable for endurance racing whereas the rear weight bias would be better for shorter races? Thoughts?
It would have to be a 911 with the engine/gearbox turned around or a Cayman with a 911 subframe and rear upper dog bones bolted to the top.

The Cayman has better balance and is mid-engined but the rear can't keep up with the front, like the 911, which has a much better engineered rear suspension in terms of keeping the rear tires flat on the ground all the way through the corner.

Quick Reply: Cayman GT3