Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Latest Laguna Seca Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 08:54 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Latest Laguna Seca Track Day

Well, I was at Laguna Seca again this past weekend with fellow rennlisters bensf and mikymu. As always, it's a great day spending time with friends, cars, and the track. First off, the 'cool pic of the day'

Old 10-24-2012, 08:55 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Ok, with that out of the way, I can move on to some small business

1) 3rd radiator:
I had the 3rd radiator installed prior to the event. I am happy to report that the third radiator does wonders for coolant and oil temps. My peak ECT went from 236F down to 208F, and oil temps went from 261F down to 239F.
Ambient temps during the later day were lower, but the morning run ambient temps were the same. Despite this, if you compare any lap, during any time of the day to my prior run at Laguna, there is at least a 20F drop across the board. He's a graph comparing:

Average coolant temps before were 225F before the 3rd radiator, and now it's 195F.
Average oil temps before were 251 F before the 3rd radiator, and now it's 228F

Verdict: Third radiator works and is a good upgrade for MT 987s that are tracked.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, Joe
Great info, as usual.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:00 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

2) NT01s on 18" wheels. They are awesome. My old PS2s were so unpredictable, that they gave me zero confidence. My prior lap time of 1:51 dropped to a consistent 1:45, even with my line and braking points needing work.

Here is a fancy video I made of my best lap. Spyder fans might recognized the song: 'unleashed'. Any critique is always welcome.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:03 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

And finally, some simple eye candy:

Old 10-24-2012, 10:13 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Joe,

Thanks for the great info. You've convinced me (previously) to get a 3rd radiator.

I have a request: would you mind logging your oil pressure data again now that you've gone R-comps? You've previously shown elsewhere that Gen 2 oil pressures seem rock solid, but that was on street tires. Let's see how they are on R-comps. Inquiring minds want to know!!

Not sure why you've had such negative experience with PS2's. They've worked well for me, though that was on the S with 18" wheels vs. Spyder on 19". If you thought PS2's were bad, try Goodyear F1's! They were downright scary until I got a feel for the Spyder on track and could start to put some heat into 'em. I'll say this though: they sure like to squeal. I think I awoke the dead within 10 mile radius of WGI.

Steve didn't like PS2's either, so maybe I'm in the minority here. BTW, do you guys track with the Sport mode on? I tried it... and oversteered badly in a tight, fast corner... PSM sure saved my ***.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:20 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Joe,

Thanks for the great info. You've convinced me (previously) to get a 3rd radiator.

I have a request: would you mind logging your oil pressure data again now that you've gone R-comps? You've previously shown elsewhere that Gen 2 oil pressures seem rock solid, but that was on street tires. Let's see how they are on R-comps. Inquiring minds want to know!!

Not sure why you've had such negative experience with PS2's. They've worked well for me, though that was on the S with 18" wheels vs. Spyder on 19". If you thought PS2's were bad, try Goodyear F1's! They were downright scary until I got a feel for the Spyder on track and could start to put some heat into 'em. I'll say this though: they sure like to squeal. I think I awoke the dead within 10 mile radius of WGI.

Steve didn't like PS2's either, so maybe I'm in the minority here. BTW, do you guys track with the Sport mode on? I tried it... and oversteered badly in a tight, fast corner... PSM sure saved my ***.

Vet, great idea! I totally forgot about the oil pressure issue. I looked at my logs and it doesn't look like pressures ever dropped below 3200mbar/3.2bar.
Here's a graph comparing lateral Gs, rpms, and oil pressure:

I'm not sure why my PS2s were so horrible. Other people haven't had a bad experience like me. I wonder if they were just heat cycled out before I had a chance to really try them? The outer tread in the front wore away after only 2 track days because of the stock camber I was running. It's funny you say that they squeal like crazy because I found the opposite. They made no noise at all until the car broke away into heavy oversteer. I still have to install the PS2s I bought off of Steve onto my stock wheels, but they'll honestly never see the track now that I have a set of NT01 track wheels.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:30 AM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Joe,
I'm definitely going to have to talk to you when I start tracking again. I love your camera and data display system.

Vetman,
My wife didn't like the PS2s on her Boxster S, either. F1s followed the PS2s, and she has PSSs on it now. She liked the F1s a little better than the PS2s and the PSSs much better than the F1s, even though she thinks the car got too floaty with the PSSs - they really need (at least) an N-spec version.

I run with sport mode on all the time. Besides turning off the stupid, perpetually 'on' upshift (arrow) light, it makes the throttle respond more immediately, more like a throttle cable is attached.
I wouldn't just switch it on at the track if you aren't used to what it's like - I can see where that would be dangerous.. you get used to the standard delay, and then suddenly it's not responding like you are used to.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:46 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

BTW, do you guys track with the Sport mode on? I tried it... and oversteered badly in a tight, fast corner... PSM sure saved my ***.
I'm like Steve and have the car in sport mode all the time. Street or track. The shift indicator is a reminder to me that I forgot to push the sport button. You want sport mode on at the track, IMO, because PSM allows more slip angle before intruding.

Steve, happy to talk to you anytime about my data acquisition/video setup
Old 10-25-2012, 01:00 AM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I'm like Steve and have the car in sport mode all the time. Street or track. The shift indicator is a reminder to me that I forgot to push the sport button. You want sport mode on at the track, IMO, because PSM allows more slip angle before intruding.

Steve, happy to talk to you anytime about my data acquisition/video setup
I was planning on getting the SharkWerks/Evoms DME from the start (due to the eGas delay). The Bold sentence is the only reason I ordered Sport-chrono. Porsche closely couples these things. BTW, I think sport mode also waits for both front wheels to slip before PSM intrudes.

Are the acquisition and video a single product tied together Joe? Or can I get the data acquisition sooner, with the video later?
Old 10-25-2012, 01:23 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
I was planning on getting the SharkWerks/Evoms DME from the start (due to the eGas delay). The Bold sentence is the only reason I ordered Sport-chrono. Porsche closely couples these things. BTW, I think sport mode also waits for both front wheels to slip before PSM intrudes.

Are the acquisition and video a single product tied together Joe? Or can I get the data acquisition sooner, with the video later?
Yup, the effect that sport mode has on PSM is really the only reason you need to have sport chrono.

Everything I use is a separate unit. Data acquisition is the AiM Solo DL hardwired to the CAN bus line off the ECU. Video is two gopro hero HD 2 cameras and a camsports HD camera. The mic is coming of the camsports external mic port. I probably going to eventually ditch the camsports camera since the video quality kind of sucks, and the gopros now have the ability to remotely start multiple cameras simultaneously. This saves me a lot of time in video editing when all the cameras are sync'd together (my 2 gopros currently are, and editing them only takes a few seconds) and I don't have to go through the process of syncing. I first merge the multiple camera views using adobe premier elements, and then overlay the data using trackvision. It's too intimidating for many, but after spending LOTS of time figuring everything out, I can easily churn out videos quickly.

Last edited by orthojoe; 10-25-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:13 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

BTW, thanks to the guys at sharkwerks for installing my 3rd radiator. They did a great job, had a fair price, and made things very easy. Will definitely do business with them again.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:36 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for sharing Joe. Neat driving.

looks very grippy. Bet you have to drive like a lunatic to unstick those tires in that car.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:37 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
It's funny you say that they squeal like crazy because I found the opposite. They made no noise at all until the car broke away into heavy oversteer.
Ah, I meant the F1's squeal like crazy. Very loud in corners.

That's great data regarding oil pressures, RPM's, lateral G's. Thank you!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:53 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah, I meant the F1's squeal like crazy. Very loud in corners.
+1 on my 981S with 19" wheels

Quick Reply: Latest Laguna Seca Track Day