Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

My first taste of a spyder

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 05:50 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with the Spyder-folks on this. The Spyder is a very attractive car (in addition to its other virtues).

Coming from classic Italian cars, no 911 is particularly good looking (I can't count the GT1). The 911 historical claim to fame has been that they are Porsches and, as such, as reliable and functional a sports car as you could own.

I appreciate them for that, but have never understood the 911 cult, willing to accept the engine in the wrong place in order to get 2 terrible rear seats.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:26 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
I'm with the Spyder-folks on this. The Spyder is a very attractive car (in addition to its other virtues).

Coming from classic Italian cars, no 911 is particularly good looking (I can't count the GT1). The 911 historical claim to fame has been that they are Porsches and, as such, as reliable and functional a sports car as you could own.

I appreciate them for that, but have never understood the 911 cult, willing to accept the engine in the wrong place in order to get 2 terrible rear seats.
Beauty is the eye of the beholder... with that aside, here's the 911 cult:

1 - a shape and line purity that has passed the test of time
2 - an all-in-the-rear design which provides traction without par
3 - an all-in-the-rear design with outstanding transfer of mass for all out braking dynamics
4 - an all-in-the-rear design with entertaining driving dynamics that some of us love

Those who do not understand/subscribe to the above 4 points, go and be happy with something else.

Last edited by ADias; 10-22-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:48 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
So which Porsches do you have now? C4S, GT3 RS, and Cayenne? Did you sell the classic and the track machine?
Yes I did. Letting the track beast go was an easy decision as a lot has changed in my life and I don't see myself gracing any HPDE/DE/DS/racing school in the next couple of years. I did two events with that and it was a lot of fun. I can never see myself being hard core addicted to the track.

The '86 coupe was a very tough one to lose. I really enjoyed the feel of that car. The car was pristine and original in every way shape and form with service records dating to the first oil change. But I could not jusify two 997s, a Cayenne and a 3.2. The 3.2 would have never been driven more than once a month. I do see a early SWB 911 91967 S is my favorite given the green gauges, hockey puck steering wheel and first year of the Fuchs) when I hit 50. The market is crazy for those cars now and there is no sign of softening .. I think.
Attached Images   

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 10-22-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:06 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Saw two spyders en route today during
my two hour commute and now just opened the Oct issue of Panorama and guess what's on the cover
Old 10-23-2012, 08:07 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Yes I did. Letting the track beast go was an easy decision as a lot has changed in my life and I don't see myself gracing any HPDE/DE/DS/racing school in the next couple of years. I did two events with that and it was a lot of fun. I can never see myself being hard core addicted to the track.

The '86 coupe was a very tough one to lose. I really enjoyed the feel of that car. The car was pristine and original in every way shape and form with service records dating to the first oil change. But I could not jusify two 997s, a Cayenne and a 3.2. The 3.2 would have never been driven more than once a month. I do see a early SWB 911 91967 S is my favorite given the green gauges, hockey puck steering wheel and first year of the Fuchs) when I hit 50. The market is crazy for those cars now and there is no sign of softening .. I think.
What a great looking "track beast" would like to know the specifics of it.

This is my track toy. Started as an '83 SC so much fun to drive and raw PORSCHE
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Although I personally think nearly all generations of 911 (except some 996 variants) are beautiful I do admit that I prefer the look of the Spyder. When you factor in the driving dynamics it makes the decision even easier for me.

I can't say the same for all generations of Boxster, I personally think the Boxster started coming in to its own in 2008 when Hp, Beauty and driving dynamics came together in a great package. Before that it seems there was something always missing from the equation.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:34 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Link for the car that I test drove is up and runnng. I thought the silver door straps were a nice touch. Car also has silver seat belts. If anyone is interested I can put you through my salesman there.

http://barrier.porschedealer.com/pre...80759/info.php

f4 .. what a beauty your SC is. Very nice.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Saw two spyders en route today during
my two hour commute and now just opened the Oct issue of Panorama and guess what's on the cover
Sounds like subliminal messages forcing you to succumb to the pressure and get one.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:04 PM
medici78
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

When parked next to my Ruf RT12, my friends who know nothing about cars assume our Spyder is the faster and cooler car, lol.

Silver on red would have been my second choice. Wow, what a spec!!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Ronnie981
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one blanket statement that should never be made is that a particular car is not good looking, for looks are, as they should be, subjective. Furthermore, "coming from classic italian cars" does not make one an expert. For example, in Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson's opinion, there has not been a truly good looking Ferrari between the 328 and the 458. That leaves out a whole bunch of Ferraris! Of course that is just his opinion. I think that most Ferraris, along with most Porsches, are attractive cars...but that is just my opinion.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Link for the car that I test drove is up and runnng. I thought the silver door straps were a nice touch. Car also has silver seat belts. If anyone is interested I can put you through my salesman there.

http://barrier.porschedealer.com/pre...80759/info.php
Wow, that is a NICE spyder...
Old 10-23-2012, 02:48 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ronnie981
The one blanket statement that should never be made is that a particular car is not good looking, for looks are, as they should be, subjective. Furthermore, "coming from classic italian cars" does not make one an expert. For example, in Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson's opinion, there has not been a truly good looking Ferrari between the 328 and the 458. That leaves out a whole bunch of Ferraris! Of course that is just his opinion. I think that most Ferraris, along with most Porsches, are attractive cars...but that is just my opinion.
And I thought I was being pretty careful on that post..

I did not provide a blanket statement that the 911 (or any car) is not good looking. As you say, that can be very subjective.

I used "coming from classic Italian cars" to describe/define my perspective, not any level of expertise. With that clarified, you can read my first line as from my perspective, "no 911 is particularly good looking". That doesn't mean that 911s are ugly or even unattractive, just that the Spyder "as a very attractive car", wins my vote on looks.

BTW, when I say 'classic', I'm referring to cars that are at least 25 years old. In our case, those cars date from the 60s and 70s.

I wouldn't use Clarkson's opinion in support, given his negative view of Porsche design/styling.

I apologize to anyone/everyone who inferred more than I wrote and intended.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Ronnie981
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And I thought I was being pretty careful on that post..

I did not provide a blanket statement that the 911 (or any car) is not good looking. As you say, that can be very subjective.

I used "coming from classic Italian cars" to describe/define my perspective, not any level of expertise. With that clarified, you can read my first line as from my perspective, "no 911 is particularly good looking". That doesn't mean that 911s are ugly or even unattractive, just that the Spyder "as a very attractive car", wins my vote on looks.

BTW, when I say 'classic', I'm referring to cars that are at least 25 years old. In our case, those cars date from the 60s and 70s.

I wouldn't use Clarkson's opinion in support, given his negative view of Porsche design/styling.

I apologize to anyone/everyone who inferred more than I wrote and intended.
No apology needed! We all love and appreciate sports cars, and I respect what you have to say. And I should have noted the word "classic" which the older beautiful Ferraris are.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I can't believe Clarkson doesn't think the 355 is a beautiful design. IMHO it is one of the most beautiful modern cars in existence.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:20 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I can't believe Clarkson doesn't think the 355 is a beautiful design. IMHO it is one of the most beautiful modern cars in existence.
Agreed.

For a car that met all the government standards of the day, they did a great job of capturing and updating the classic Ferrari look. It's the only 'new' Ferrari I've seriously considered owning. And the 355 was the last car Ferrari made before every car started to get really big.

Quick Reply: My first taste of a spyder