Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

tracking a standard cayman R/boxster spyder

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 02:20 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

nope.

noise limits are strictly enforced in the UK and if i have to lift off near a noise box, forget it. Besides, I already have PSE. Still tempted to do Carnewal and remove the secondary cats.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:23 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

What are the noise limits in the UK?
Old 01-02-2013, 02:37 PM
pjmachineco

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PSE give you some sound but no more power.
The after market cat-back unleash power!!
Have you changed your air filter?
There is more power there also.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:34 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

most are around the 100 to 105 dB level for static. STock Gt3/RS exhaust barely make it. If your cats are old then, even more likely to fail.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:44 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pjmachineco
PSE give you some sound but no more power.
The after market cat-back unleash power!!
Have you changed your air filter?
There is more power there also.
TBH, I rather spend it on driving to more tracks and staying at a nice B&B. Maybe, I'll even splurge on a Spa trip (the race track). It's not power I crave, its ability. There are around 400 ARDS instructors in the UK looking for a shot at the big time. They are all pros or semi-pros and relatively inexpensive to hire as instructors. At this juncture, my skills on pitch/steer using brakes and throttle leave much to be desired, and i rather spend the money tuning myself.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Fire_2
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Khooni book spa via circuit days on the 1st April
Old 01-03-2013, 08:53 AM
pjmachineco

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by khooni
TBH, I rather spend it on driving to more tracks and staying at a nice B&B. Maybe, I'll even splurge on a Spa trip (the race track). It's not power I crave, its ability. There are around 400 ARDS instructors in the UK looking for a shot at the big time. They are all pros or semi-pros and relatively inexpensive to hire as instructors. At this juncture, my skills on pitch/steer using brakes and throttle leave much to be desired, and i rather spend the money tuning myself.
I understand completely.
I had 15 track days last year, tuning myself.
As I got faster, It became obvious:
Neg camber was needed in the front.
A new exhaust system, for more sound (my car was very quiet) and extra power. which will be used to pass those 911's that I catch up to in the turns.
Also a short shift kit, you know the advantage of that.
I do like a nice B&B much better then chain hotels.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:05 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Either one will work. 361 will allow caster adjustability, the 358 does not.

I have the 361, therefore, you probably want 358...
I thought the 361 part was for PASM cars, it's not very clear on their site is it :-(

Last edited by mrd_spy; 01-03-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:52 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

It is ambiguous, which is why I just placed my trust in the vendor I purchased the LCAs from. I went with their recommendation and it's worked out just fine.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:25 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes it's as simple as whether your car has HIDs (self leveler needs to be attached).
Old 01-04-2013, 08:20 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

mine has. does that mean 361?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:27 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

see not that simple lol

PASM option HID option standard opton

any way this is the reply i got from RSS today
"Hi which part for my 2010 Porsche Boxster SPyder"

"Thank you for your interest in RSS Products.

The parts are listed below:

-361 LCA Kit (Front Axle)
-357 LCA Kit (Rear Axle)

Best Regards,
"
Old 07-02-2013, 07:05 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

time to re-surrect this old thread.

After a few track days on the spyder, tyre wear is not acceptable on the outside edge and I am finally looking to get the RSS LCAs installed. I have taken my time to assess whether I need them and whether i should stick with factory settings but as I don't do much road driving except to get to the track, and am not renewing my warranty with Porsche, it makes sense to get a more focused setup.

so whilst I am fitting the fronts, should I get the rears done as well? anything else I should be considering?

also i am looking to install 6 point harnesses like in my RS. Joe, you have them fitted. do you use Brey Krause subbars? anything else that i need to buy?

I am however, not thinking of upgrading rubber beyond MPSS or even sticking with PS2s.

Joe, do you mind discussing how you feel about the replacement brakes vs your
PCCBs now that you've had a proper go at them?
Old 07-02-2013, 11:51 AM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

time to re-surrect this old thread.

After a few track days on the spyder, tyre wear is not acceptable on the outside edge and I am finally looking to get the RSS LCAs installed. I have taken my time to assess whether I need them and whether i should stick with factory settings but as I don't do much road driving except to get to the track, and am not renewing my warranty with Porsche, it makes sense to get a more focused setup.

so whilst I am fitting the fronts, should I get the rears done as well? anything else I should be considering?

also i am looking to install 6 point harnesses like in my RS. Joe, you have them fitted. do you use Brey Krause subbars? anything else that i need to buy?

I am however, not thinking of upgrading rubber beyond MPSS or even sticking with PS2s.

Joe, do you mind discussing how you feel about the replacement brakes vs your
PCCBs now that you've had a proper go at them?
Hi Khooni,

I'd replace both front and rear, mostly because the bushings (LCA monoballs/stock rubber) respond differently. The rear were cheaper and easier to install, too.

So far, I've been running negative 1.33 degrees (front) on the street with no unusual wear over several thousand miles. I don't have the rear camber number handy, but I think it was about the same.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:20 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Steve brought up a very good point about monoball joints. Me, I'm cheap... so I just have the fronts for RSS LCAs. Stock rear LCAs can go pretty far unlike the fronts. With front RSS LCAs and stock rears, my camber setting is -2.4 front and back.

With GT2 buckets, you should install Brey Krause submount bars. R-9032 for driver and R-9034 for passenger. You can mount the sub straps directly to the floor as well, but the metal is pretty thin there (I'm told) and I'm not a big fan of drilling through the tub on non-race cars. Race cars, you NEED to attach to the tub - otherwise you'll fail inspections.

You may also want to get these: http://www.ogracing.com/brey-krause-...lt-porsche-all They make them for the outer side as well but I'm having trouble finding them. Oh, and I recommend 2" harnesses and pull-UP belts. I have 3" harnesses. Bulky and PITA. Pull-up lap belts are much easier to maneuver than pull-downs, i.e. much easier to get pull-ups tight. Tougher to get FIA/SFI compliant pull-up belts though.

Quick Reply: tracking a standard cayman R/boxster spyder