Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

CG lock

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:34 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up CG lock

so I bought a CG lock for use in my spyder and/or CR for track use. The only downside I can see is the plastic tongue of the seatbelt being roughened up a little by the teeth of the clamp due to the fastening process. Otherwise, it does exactly what it says on the tin.... ie keep the driver securely locked on to the seat.

anyone else tried this here?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:24 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I used a CG lock on my Evo. Yes, it will markup the plastic tongue, so keep that in mind. I know Ben uses it in his spyder. I've stopped using the CG lock because I've found that sliding your seat back, pulling on the belt to lock it, and then sliding the seat forward works really well. The CG lock will only lock the lap belt. By doing the lock and slide, both the shoulder and the lap belt are locked and it really holds you down well.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:46 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm with Joe. If you do it right, I've found that the lock and slide method holds you down much, MUCH tighter than any harness/seat combo I've tried. Will need the harness and arm straps in the Spyder, however (since I want to track without the top).

Personally, I lower the seat-back down as low as it'll go, lock, then raise it until I'm in a track driving position. Seat front-to-back has already been set (though I sometimes also move it forward when the particular position doesn't suit me).
Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I used a CG lock on my Evo. Yes, it will markup the plastic tongue, so keep that in mind. I know Ben uses it in his spyder. I've stopped using the CG lock because I've found that sliding your seat back, pulling on the belt to lock it, and then sliding the seat forward works really well. The CG lock will only lock the lap belt. By doing the lock and slide, both the shoulder and the lap belt are locked and it really holds you down well.
I use the CG lock and a torso belt/harness because I could never get locking the seat belt and moving the seat method down consistently.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:32 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

ok i am going to try the lock and slide method and see if it does the trick for me. Shame about scratches on the tongue... the lap belt portion is very secure but obviously not the shoulder. Ben, what is a torso belt/harness? where do you get 1? tks for the replies.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:55 AM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni
ok i am going to try the lock and slide method and see if it does the trick for me. Shame about scratches on the tongue... the lap belt portion is very secure but obviously not the shoulder. Ben, what is a torso belt/harness? where do you get 1? tks for the replies.
This is what I'm using. http://www.gforce.com/products/netsanres/4290.php
Old 07-24-2012, 07:03 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

tks
Old 07-28-2012, 06:37 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

I finally tried using the slide and lock method. It's pretty good and locks me in the correct driving position for me...Hmm. wonder why i bought the CG lock in the first place.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:08 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Fiddle around and it really locks you in tightly. Don't know how you'd do it with bucket seats though - probably just go with harnesses.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:25 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

after a track day with my CR in brands hatch (loads of negative camber turns), i found that the CG lock was very useful and best of all, adjustment was super quick and although the shoulder space was not locked in, the fact that the hips were locked in place helped tremendously and given the probable 1g load, is more than enough.

I take it back. the CG lock is faster and better than using the lock and slide method. Not quite a full harness but, a useful and cost effective upgrade. and you don't have to remove it (being quite unobstrusive even if off the track)

Quick Reply: CG lock