Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Test drove the Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012 | 08:45 AM
fast1
Race Car

Default Test drove the Boxster

Just a few quick impressions:
1. The first thing that jumped out to me was the roof line. There is now more of an angular drop off from the roof to the trunk lid which is aesthetically pleasing but which provides a little less rear visibility, but I like it.
2. The exhaust note - WOW. When I started the engine it sounded like a Boxster with PSE. Much improved exhaust sound. I didn't test drive the S, so I wonder if it has a comparable sound. If it does there's no need to order PSE.
3. Noticeable interior upgrade.
4. The car was equipped with th 19" wheels which I was told are standard on the S. If I were to order the Boxster I would certainly order that option.
5. Steering wheel feedback. I doubt that I would have noticed a differance in the feel on my short test drive except for the fact that it's pointed out by other posters. There is certainly less feedback than my current S, but not a deal braker. I suspect that Porsche is attempting to reach out to a larger demographic that doesn't like road feedback.
6. The straight line performance is adequate but corner handling is outstanding.
7. Fit and finish are top of the line.
8. When I returned the Boxster I parked it in between a 2011 Boxster and a 997 turbo cabriolet. Superficially there are a lot of similarities between the 981 and turbo to the point where the average observer wouldn't detect many differances; a Porsche guy of course would differentiate the two in a heartbeat.

Bottom line is that I will order a 981S probably in early February so that I can take delivery in the May time frame. I don't need the $20K+ in options which all of the 981s have in my area, so I won't buy the Dealers cars. Also if I order now I have to pay list and won't take delivery until late October, early November which isn't a top down time of year in my neck of the woods. Moreover, I expect the Dealers will be more willing to talk about discounts when temperatures are in the 20s and there's snow on the ground.
Old 07-02-2012 | 04:19 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Glad to hear the exhaust note is loud. I almost ordered the PSE, but sounds like I will be ok without it.

Quick Reply: Test drove the Boxster