Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder next to New 981 S

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012 | 08:47 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

exactly. the intake noise on the 981 is much better than the much quieter one in the 987 (especially boxsters).. CR is better because of the enclosure. In fact, it is good enough that for my money, i wuld plump for the PCCBs. well, consider it a discount.

I am not ssaying that it is not better just that it is pricey for what it is IMO and therefore not worth the extra outlay. But, if cost is not an issue, go for it. It sure can't hurt and there will be no booming if the PSE on the 987 shows.
Old 06-23-2012 | 10:03 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Don't confuse engine sound with exhaust sound. You can never tune a Porsche exhaust to sound like a Ferrari V12 or flat-plane crankshaft V8.
Understood but whether the sound emanates from the engine or is embellished by the exhaust system, it's an important part of the sports car experience, at least for me.
Old 06-23-2012 | 10:09 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

The 987 intake noise can be improved by de snorkeling the intake. Apparently Porsche had issues with water traveling into the intake and had to install a cover over the intake to prevent water from entering. The side affect of this cover is reduced noise. Removing this cover will add more intake noise and enhance the overall engine sound.
Old 06-23-2012 | 10:56 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
The 987 intake noise can be improved by de snorkeling the intake. Apparently Porsche had issues with water traveling into the intake and had to install a cover over the intake to prevent water from entering. The side affect of this cover is reduced noise. Removing this cover will add more intake noise and enhance the overall engine sound.
Afshin:

Have you removed this cover or know anyone that has done it? I would imagine that water traveling into the intake (because cover was removed) could be a serious engine issue and might void your warranty, no?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 06-24-2012 | 11:12 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

You might be right but because of water ingress potential, this is a chance I am unwilling to take. Besides, comparing modified cars (in any way) with a stock car opens up a whole new world.
Old 06-24-2012 | 02:31 PM
bensf
Racer

Other than the water, there was also the issue of cigarette butts causing a fire when it hit the paper filter. If you decide to de-snork you would want to install some sort of mesh to prevent this from occurring.
Old 06-24-2012 | 07:43 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
Afshin:

Have you removed this cover or know anyone that has done it? I would imagine that water traveling into the intake (because cover was removed) could be a serious engine issue and might void your warranty, no?

Saludos,
Eduardo
I personally haven't removed it but I know many on Planet 9 have done this. I really don't know how much of an issue the water ingress is, some seem to think it only happens in heavy rain with pools of standing water on the road splashing from the front wheels. I know Porsche made this change either in the first or second year of the 987.

Originally Posted by khooni
You might be right but because of water ingress potential, this is a chance I am unwilling to take. Besides, comparing modified cars (in any way) with a stock car opens up a whole new world.
Agreed. I'm just pointing out that the added sound can be reintroduced if desired. I personally am not a fan of modifying cars and I agree comparing the two isn't really fair. I can't wait to hear the 981, hopefully this Thursday at the dealer!

Originally Posted by bensf
Other than the water, there was also the issue of cigarette butts causing a fire when it hit the paper filter. If you decide to de-snork you would want to install some sort of mesh to prevent this from occurring.
Good point! So does the 981 have a screen/mesh at the intake? Curious how Porsche resolved the issues with this.

Quick Reply: Spyder next to New 981 S