Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder smoking at start up

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Spyder smoking at start up

I have had my Spyder for about 2 months now and on two occasions I have had a very large cloud of blue smoke come from the exhaust. Oddly enough it has happened in the same parking spot where I park at work. The spot has a pretty severe slope forward and to the left and am wondering if that would have anything to do with it. It's never happened in the garage or any other place or that matter. Not sure how concerned I should be.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

Ever try backing in there to see if it happens again?
Old 04-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
I have had my Spyder for about 2 months now and on two occasions I have had a very large cloud of blue smoke come from the exhaust. Oddly enough it has happened in the same parking spot where I park at work. The spot has a pretty severe slope forward and to the left and am wondering if that would have anything to do with it. It's never happened in the garage or any other place or that matter. Not sure how concerned I should be.
The Porsche techs I've talked to about this smoking upon startup see it often and in a variety of cars.

New cars, trade ins, and even cars in for service almost always get treated to short (very short) 'trips' and the engines seldom run long enough to get up to anything near normal operating temperature.

The techs tell me that unless the smoking is accompanied by signs of engine trouble: rough running, erratic/variable idle speed, CEL, and the smoking event is brief; they pay it no further mind.

My advice to you would be do as the techs do. I do.

However, since the car is new you want to keep a closer eye on the vital fluids, like oil and coolant, just in case a new car problem crops up. (Heck after over a quarter of a million miles in my Boxster I keep an eye on the oil level, coolant level, etc. Keeping reasonable tabs on the vital fluids of one's car is a good habit to get into.)

So take a deep breath, let it out. Relax and find the time (make the time!) to enjoy your new Spyder!

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Spyder smoking at start up