Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Arrrrg! Keep the 2006 C2S or swap for a 2012 Cayman R...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:06 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recommend back to back drives and get what makes YOU smile.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:17 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Ross
Hi

I've owned a 964 turbo, a 993 C2 manual coupe, a 993 turbo, and a Ferrari 328 GTS.

I recently test drove the Cayman R and bought it on the spot. It is by far and away the best driving experience I've had.

The car I bought has PDK, sports chrono, the paddle shifts and a bunch of other stuff. It's unbelievable.

If you have the opportunity do try one. You'll be hooked.

Cheers
Kevin
Wow the Cayman R was that impressive.

Hmm, will have to take one out for a test run one day.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:45 PM
ronaldvetteron
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an 08 CS after test driving a used 08 Carrera and 09 new Carrera. For me, the handling of the CS was spot on. I have upgraded to a 2012 CR a couple months back. It is a CS on steroids. It is my DD and best overall performing car I have ever owned (list includes Audi S4, E46 M3, C5 Vette....).
Old 05-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I love my C2S but this beautiful 'new' car is alluring. Thoughts or considerations from anyone? Any regrets for those of you that have made the switch? Anyone missing the 911 legacy, or is that just...
I made similar switch - '05 C2 to Spyder.

The first thing that struck me was how much nicer the late model interiors are, especially the Spyder's (and R's) - the Alcantara sport buckets, console controls, painted rear console, steering wheel - the Spyder feels like a much more refined and expensive car than the older 997, even though the MSRP on mine was $12k less - 5.5 years later.

The second thing that struck me is how quiet and smooth the open-topped DFI car was compared to the coupe with M96, both at idle and through the rev range. This was both nice (unlike the M96, the 3.4 DFI is perfectly linear and smooth) and disappointing at the same time (the smooth and quiet DFI is lacking character - almost Lexus-like).

The third thing that struck me is that the Spyder rides better, and that is comparing a car on 19s to the 997 on 18s, both without PASM. The suspension development on the Spyder (and R) is amazing.

The fourth thing that struck me is that, even though the Spyder/R has received rave reviews for steering response, nothing compares the the first generation 987/997 in regards to steering. Something was lost with the second generation, and although the Spyder/R may have improved some, it is just not quite perfect in comparison.

The fifth thing that struck me is that I was traveling much faster over my favorite roads without even trying. It has been said before, but you instantly feel like the Spyder (and I am sure the R) could handle another 100hp with no problem. So in that sense, even though it is faster, it feels a bit underpowered in comparison.

After more driving you realize it is because, steering aside, the front has much more grip, so it goes exactly where you point it, without any porpoising of the nose - and the rear follows, never getting out of line. And the more compliant suspension stays glued to imperfect roads. No understeer during hard canyon driving (although some say there is on the track) - no oversteer, either - nicely neutral. Again, this is both nice and disappointing at the same time. I was hoping the Spyder was going to be a more raw, back to the past sort of experience. But, along with the nice interior, you realize this is a completely modern Porsche, one that would pair just as well with PDK.

All that said, most of the (admittedly low) 3,XXX miles on my Spyder in the last 2+ years have been Sunday drives through canyons - something I was never tempted by in the C2. And at the same time, while I have no regrets, I am shopping for an older 911 - because after owning 911s my whole adult life, nothing feels like a 911, and I do miss it.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:16 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,247 Likes on 575 Posts

Thanks for your comments guys. I still have not pulled the trigger on a switch. This last review was the first I've heard about the steering feel being better on the 997.1. Funny thing, i like the feel of the engine in the back, despite the poirpoising. Interesting. I've heard the lack of engine sounds but this can be handled with a Sharkwerks or Fabseed etc... exhaust system. I still need to go and drive the Sypder / Cayman S. I'll get this done ASAP and post my thoughts.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:24 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,503 Likes on 2,277 Posts

if u like e 911 aura then keep 997
if u want the better car get cayman or spyder

Quick Reply: Arrrrg! Keep the 2006 C2S or swap for a 2012 Cayman R...