Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

What's wrong with my Spyder?!!!!.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:44 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 58 Posts
Default What's wrong with my Spyder?!!!!.....

Can anyone tell me.....

Old 04-05-2012, 01:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Sun visors and no carbon bucket seats. :P
Old 04-05-2012, 02:02 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Well if you are going to rag on the lack of carbon bucket's, I'll take a manual trans as well if I could!
Old 04-05-2012, 02:15 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I never rag on PDK. It's a nice advantage and tool to have in terms of track times.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:16 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

BTW, the color matched visors look good. I can't believe the car doesn't come that way.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:23 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Not the best pics, but I was pleasantly surprised that even while driving, especially with the top down, it changes the look when driving, and lightens up the view when looking ahead.

I definitely think it looks better and brings the interior together even more!

Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mile2424
Not the best pics, but I was pleasantly surprised that even while driving, especially with the top down, it changes the look when driving, and lightens up the view when looking ahead. I definitely think it looks better and brings the interior together even more!
Yep, that is exactly what color-coordinated sunvisors do for a convertible! I am glad I ordered them on mine. And even on black interior cars, I love the unique Alcantara sunvisors Steve Colletti was able to negotiate into his order. Makes them stand out!

By the way, where did you get the lovely 'Sand Beige' visors and what did they cost you? Was this how you used your credit outstanding with Porsche?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I never rag on PDK. It's a nice advantage and tool to have in terms of track times.
PDK is hardcore. When I find the right 911 to add to my collection...err, other Porsche, it's gonna have PDK. Hopefully Porsche will adopt a more F1 style steering-wheel layout to make it lethal.

Very nice visors. Details make the difference.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Yes I did use my Porsche credit to get the visors. Also big thanks to Suncoast for the order!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

It seems many of us are not satisfied with the sun visors. They are definitely not what you would expect in a higher end vehicle. At minimum Porsche should have made them in Alcantara and not the awful vinyl.

The Sand Beige visors look fantastic, great choice and upgrade!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:14 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got to see your Spyder, Eduardo. It's hard to believe it that it is as vibrant as it shows in ever picture.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

The crazy thing about Porsche's 'Carrera Red' is that if you put your Polarized sunglasses on, the interior becomes 'dazzling' like in a three-dimentional radiation zone! That is when the word 'vibrant' becomes truly appropriate!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 04-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Super 90
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok... I simply don't get it. Alcantara is nothing natural... it's produced. Yep, it looks nice and wears well, but why does it cost so much? I'm a very longtime Porsche owner - my first was a '60 356B and it had red leather.... and metal, where the wasn't leather. My 911 had a little leather on the seats, and vinyl elsewhere, like on the dash and door panels. It seems that the new cars are pretty much all man-made materials, and suddenly alcantara is popular. Is it because it looks like something else and it costs a lot?

Here's what it's made of: (Wikipedia) "Alcantara is composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane [4] giving increased durability and stain resistance. The appearance and tactile feel of the material is similar to that of suede, and it may be incorrectly identified as such."

I guess I'm old, as well as old fashioned. Gimme leather, complete with its flaws and need for care....

(I'm not knocking anyone's car of course - mine is all man-made too!)

Roger ('08 Boxster S, guards red with leather seats and fake plastic stuff everywhere)

Last edited by Super 90; 04-06-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: .
Old 04-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Alcantara looks nice when used in the right places. I wouldn't want it covering the entire interior like I would leather.

I agree that i don't understand why the prices are so high unless it is a difficult material to produce without flaws. Some man made products are not backed up with reliable processes, this could be the only reason I could see for the high cost. It's also possible that only a few manufacturers can make it and they are keeping the cost high.

Still I prefer Alcantara over vinyl, it looks and feels much warmer yet more modern.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:36 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Super 90
Ok... I simply don't get it. Alcantara is nothing natural... it's produced. Yep, it looks nice and wears well, but why does it cost so much? I'm a very longtime Porsche owner - my first was a '60 356B and it had red leather.... and metal, where the wasn't leather. My 911 had a little leather on the seats, and vinyl elsewhere, like on the dash and door panels. It seems that the new cars are pretty much all man-made materials, and suddenly alcantara is popular. Is it because it looks like something else and it costs a lot?

Here's what it's made of: (Wikipedia) "Alcantara is composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane [4] giving increased durability and stain resistance. The appearance and tactile feel of the material is similar to that of suede, and it may be incorrectly identified as such."

I guess I'm old, as well as old fashioned. Gimme leather, complete with its flaws and need for care....

(I'm not knocking anyone's car of course - mine is all man-made too!)

Roger ('08 Boxster S, guards red with leather seats and fake plastic stuff everywhere)
I'm pretty old, too, but in my case that might be why I like it.

For me, it is the combination of all its tactile qualities, the way it holds up (with care) and the look that reminds me of European race cars of the 1960s and 1970s - the ones you could drive to the tracks and race.

In smaller doses, it's also a nice contrasting touch to interiors.

I agree with you on why is is SO expensive??? especially on things like the headliner, where it isn't much more than a yard of fabric with a couple of straight seams.

With my Cayman R order, I went back and forth on the interior dozens of times (as I'm sure everyone in this thread did). Each reconsideration would take me to a dealership to see if I could 'live' with the standard Cayman headliner, or the standard visors, or the interior bin lid. The GT3 comes with alcantara standard in a lot of places, so I could compare with/without.

I even considered not going with leather, but with the upper and lower dash in alcantara... a very 1970s Ferrari 'mouse fur' look. I think it would have looked good, possibly great, but as Eduardo will attest, I'm not bold enough to try something like that sight unseen with my interior.

All the interior stuff became much easier to justify once the MSRP of the car (with the mechanical options I needed) made it into the $80K+ range.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with my Spyder?!!!!.....