Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Water issues when washing a Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 02:44 PM
autopc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water issues when washing a Spyder

Considering a Spyder.

Are there any issues when washing your Spyder? How is the bikini top? Any leaks? Any special considerations?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by autopc
Considering a Spyder.

Are there any issues when washing your Spyder? How is the bikini top? Any leaks? Any special considerations?

Thanks
The Spyder top I don't know about.

When I wash my Boxster top I limit the amount of soap that I get on the top and make sure I do rinse the top quite thoroughly. I avoid subjecting the top to high pressure water streams.

I always keep an eye out for any signs of water making it past a seal (like a side window seal). The top may not be 100% water tight but as long as you know this you can avoid dousing that area and making the situation worse.

With any of these cars be sure the water drains are kept free of trash (mainly plant litter, leaves and such). If the trash builds up it can block the drains and allow water to back up maybe to the point it flows into the cabin. Not good.

After washing the car and wiping it dry take the car out for a drive and use the brakes enough to fully dry them so the rotors do not rust.

Or drive the car enough to get it dirty enough to wash again. I love washing my Porsche then giving it a nice rinse and wipe down and then a drive to dry the brakes and a drive long enough to begin getting the car all dirty again.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:11 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Considering a Spyder.

Thanks
no problems whatsoever. I have driven my spyder in a tropical thunderstorm without any water leaking inside. Conversely, just make sure you don't use high pressure water when washing and you'll be absolutely fine
Old 09-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I've only washed my Spyder once so I don't have a ton of experience but I can say that you do need to be careful not to spray underneath the rear overhang. That is really the only part of the top that isn't fully sealed. Technically if you spray down or from the front of the car you'll never have a problem but if you spray from the rear just be careful. Even in water does get in it will more than like just hit the roll hoops.

Are you thinking of using it as a DD or a weekend/fun trip car?
Old 09-18-2011, 12:04 AM
autopc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I've only washed my Spyder once so I don't have a ton of experience but I can say that you do need to be careful not to spray underneath the rear overhang. That is really the only part of the top that isn't fully sealed. Technically if you spray down or from the front of the car you'll never have a problem but if you spray from the rear just be careful. Even in water does get in it will more than like just hit the roll hoops.

Are you thinking of using it as a DD or a weekend/fun trip car?
Weekend fun trip car and a few track events a year. About 3K-4K miles per year.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I unhook the 'buttresses' when washing the Spyder. This leaves the cabin a bit exposed, but as long as you are relatively careful, it won't get more than a few drops inside.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:15 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Weekend fun trip car and a few track events a year. About 3K-4K miles per year.
That's how mine is used... 7800 miles in 17 months and it's a joy!
Old 09-24-2011, 04:55 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Considering a Spyder.
Thanks
Issues? Not really. However this is a special car and IMO requires special care.

This is totally my opinion, your mileage may vary.

1. No more auto car washes. Hand wash only. (No I don't really think leaks are an issue, but I feel that the brushes would be abusive to the top, and they do leave swirl marks in the paint)

2. You will need to pony up the money for a quality wax job twice a year.

3. I would recommend dry washing the entire car as often as possible to cut down on trips to the car wash. (I use a three step process for the body, and I vacuum the soft top)

4. You will need to invest in the Porsche cabrio wash and protectant, as well as a soft bristle brush. Also a package of lint rollers will be a good idea.

For a more in depth breakdown PM me or visit the Car Care Specialties website.

Quick Reply: Water issues when washing a Spyder