Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Sport bucket seat adjust

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 04:54 AM
rost12
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 77 Posts

I've just installed those same brackets. One issue I've ran into - needed a longer bolt to mount the seat belt buckle to the side. Luckily had some assorted spares from a Schroth harness kit so found one to suit.

Otherwise everything as advertised, lowered the seat a bit and happy with the result. Not a massive improvement, but I'll take every centimetre I can take!
Old 08-28-2021, 06:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by rost12
I've just installed those same brackets. One issue I've ran into - needed a longer bolt to mount the seat belt buckle to the side. Luckily had some assorted spares from a Schroth harness kit so found one to suit.

Otherwise everything as advertised, lowered the seat a bit and happy with the result. Not a massive improvement, but I'll take every centimetre I can take!
I’m in the same position. Did your rail have a collet for that fixture as per the OE rail?

Old 08-28-2021, 07:16 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thanks to the above, I have an interim solution from an aftermarket seat belt I bought my 964

Old 08-28-2021, 10:07 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

All installed. My goal was to increase the seat rake as that’s most comfortable for me. At the same time, given my 6’ 4” height, I needed to maintain the gap between my legs and the steering wheel.

To do that, I kept the front at OE height and dropped the rear mount one hole. This increased rake by 4 degrees. I have not measured headroom as was not hitting it before but it should have increased by 16.5mm or 0.65”.

Luckily I had some seat belt fittings in my stash otherwise I couldn’t have installed the rails as supplied. The challenges are as follows:

1. There are no instructions with the rails.

2. The after market rails have threads inside the rails whereas the OE rails have raised threaded collets. This means you need longer bolts. The seat belt side can be fastened with the OE bolt but I was uncomfortable with the number of threads engaged.

3. The seat belt receptacle is concave. You need to use a collet etc to make it fit.

4. While the seat bolts in with the rails, I believe the method used for the front is twisting the rail underneath. It didn’t fit as easily as OE. I can’t be bothered playing with it but i would look at longer front bolts and collets.

Old 08-29-2021, 02:43 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 2,101 Posts

Thanks for sharing the detail on the install and amount of lowering. Looks like I'd still need custom foam to get them to be feasible for how low I want to sit.
Old 08-29-2021, 03:06 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Thanks for sharing the detail on the install and amount of lowering. Looks like I'd still need custom foam to get them to be feasible for how low I want to sit.
That sounds like a solid plan. On my car (RHD) there is an electronic box under the driver seat and the seat base is already quite close to it. There is very limited space to drop the seat further.
Old 10-09-2021, 02:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Update. Today, I took the car on a 200 mile backroad drive. The tilt is noticeable in that you feel like your weight is more fixed in place. Like a dentist chair (without the pain). I did notice a lack of lumbar support but that may just be my posture issues. I had a fellow Spyder driver sit in the seat and he said it was definitely an improvement. Your mileage may vary.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:09 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Great to hear - thanks for the update. Car looks great. When you mentioned "without the pain", do you mean without the tooth pain, or without the pain from the uncomfortable dentist chairs?

For lumbar, P1 designs makes a cushion with more lumbar. May want to consider that. https://p1designs.com/options-pricing/
Old 10-10-2021, 03:50 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Great to hear - thanks for the update. Car looks great. When you mentioned "without the pain", do you mean without the tooth pain, or without the pain from the uncomfortable dentist chairs?

For lumbar, P1 designs makes a cushion with more lumbar. May want to consider that. https://p1designs.com/options-pricing/
Without either pain. I’ll look at that lumbar option.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:18 AM
aranftr
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all ,

I have been contemplating getting a set of these for my Cayman R, I am 6 ft 4 and need more room for my knee. Do you reckon this would be worth trying? I do tend to take out the bottom cushion for extra room but I wonder if lowering the seat and/or changing the angle would help too. Be a shame to source some new seats so I can use a more conventional seat bracket.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2021, 01:08 PM
aranftr
6th Gear

I have heard of people putting one of these support cushions under the fabric cover:
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-11-2021, 06:33 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aranftr
Hi all ,

I have been contemplating getting a set of these for my Cayman R, I am 6 ft 4 and need more room for my knee. Do you reckon this would be worth trying? I do tend to take out the bottom cushion for extra room but I wonder if lowering the seat and/or changing the angle would help too. Be a shame to source some new seats so I can use a more conventional seat bracket.

Thanks
I’m 6’4” and wear 36” inseam jeans. I bought a PDK because there is insufficient room for me to operate a clutch in this platform. The seat rail change I made would not help with knee room.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:43 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aranftr
Hi all ,

Thanks
You may want to consider getting a set of the standard sport seats plus, with manual fore/aft adjustment. Those sit the lowest and should allow the most amount of room for your knee. I know my knees are very close to the steering wheel in a sport bucket car, I'm an inch taller than you are. The standard sport seats plus have been the best for me.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:20 AM
aranftr
6th Gear

Thanks for the insight John! Might of saved me from finding out the hard way.
The following users liked this post:
John McM (11-18-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 06:25 AM
aranftr
6th Gear

I do have a few ideas:
Remove seat sliders and hard mount the drivers seat
Try another seat with more mounting options (Recaros, Cobra)
Momo Steering wheel and boss (brings the wheel closer)
Steering wheel extender (sketchy with the airbag)
Buy a better suited car

Just be a shame to switch seats as they are so nice

Quick Reply: Sport bucket seat adjust