Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder or TT-RS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 05:04 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving the Spyder is the most fun thing you can do on 4 wheels with your clothes on.

The comments about quattro being snow driven is irrelevant in this case. Because Quattro with performance tires is still useless in the snow. So prepare yourself to buy snowtires for the TTRS, or at least all season tires. And if you are switching tires anyways, a well balanced RWD car with traction ctrl, stability ctrl and snowtires will do just fine in the snow.

I rather have a 1 series M coupe (if you can find one), over the TTRS. I dislike nose heavy cars. But there is no secret, I am extremely biased towards BMW's. Yes, a paid spokesperson.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:35 PM
gwc
Advanced

Have to weigh in on the top issue. I have only watched internet videos and took one on and off a couple or more times at the dealer, so take my opinion as just that.

I have stated it here before, and just as allegreto restated...the top is genius. It really is german engineering genius. It fits the car just as was intended, and if you get it then you understand and you embrace it. If you do not get it, it is ok. We understand. Personally I think the car is so much better because of the top, it is different and that just adds that much more to the appeal for me. I think it is cool you can carry the entire top around with one hand.

Have a couple of other cars...press the button, top goes up and down. Been there and done that, have the t shirt. That is not what the spyder is about.

I like the look of the top...One of few that looks good with the top up or down. If they offered the same top with power/auto operation I would still get the manual version. I get it. Don't desire the motors,wires,locks etc etc. The car is a toy and as such it is really very good just as it is.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Don't feed the troll.

Regarding the TT-RS, I'm sure it is a nice car; it sure put up some good numbers in the C&D comparison, and I've always liked the current design. I could never wrap my head around paying $60k for a Golf-based vehicle, however. For me, it would be the 1M.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:30 PM
pcw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Don't feed the troll.

Regarding the TT-RS, I'm sure it is a nice car; it sure put up some good numbers in the C&D comparison, and I've always liked the current design. I could never wrap my head around paying $60k for a Golf-based vehicle, however. For me, it would be the 1M.
Alan makes a good point. I just got a GTI to replace my daily driver, STi. My son is waiting for the Golf R, 2012-3 and the TTRS is just a more expensive Golf R. Do the APR 403 Turbo upgrade for 2400.00 on a Golf R, you now have the same HP/Tq as the TTRS, Golf R has AWD and for the grand total of 39K. Not a bad deal, especially when more and more VW dealership are installing APR tunes/turbo kits and keeping the factory warranty

Just can't get pass the design of the 1M, one of the ugliest BMW's produced. Just my 2 cents.....

pcw
Old 07-08-2011, 06:46 PM
StefanP
3rd Gear

I'll take a look at the Spyder and its top tomorrow.

Lots of passionate opinions, I guess that is what car guys are good at :-). I am a bit of a closet Audi fanboy and yes, snow tires are standard here in the winter. I live on a hill as well so that doesn't help the RWD argument. The Boxster stays in the garage during bad weather. I remember throwing my snowboard in the back of the snowtire-clad TT and going up the mountain in a snowstorm. No problem.

Anyway, it is all a matter of opinion. Audi just released a press release for the US-spec TT-RS. Very interesting numbers. Very torn, the TT-RS won't be here until late August and that Spyder is sitting in a showroom now in Vancouver's high-end auto dealer district. It won't last long I bet.

It sounds like the top is not an issue, so now it is just a matter of decision. Thanks for all the input.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:01 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

i have driven the ttrs. it is a very nice car.
it would make a fantastic daily driver, as someone's only car.
i prefer the boxter spyder, but you'd have to own another car to do all the mundane jobs. it's too nice for that stuff.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by StefanP
I'll take a look at the Spyder and its top tomorrow.

Lots of passionate opinions, I guess that is what car guys are good at :-). I am a bit of a closet Audi fanboy and yes, snow tires are standard here in the winter.

Anyway, it is all a matter of opinion. Audi just released a press release for the US-spec TT-RS. Very interesting numbers.

If you come to a Porsche forum you will probably get a Porsche biased opinion, on an Audi forum it will probably be Audi based.

I have a friend that loves Audis. He has owned an A3 3.2, a 2008 TTS, and he currently has a Q5 an S6 and a Cayman S. He thought the TTS was a fantasic car and love it. Upon getting the Cayman S, he said there is no comparison in terms of they way it handles, and feels on twisty roads. He loves his Audis, but to him the Cayman S is perfection while the TTS is nice but just doesn't put the same smile on his face. So for him as a daily driver or something to transport more than 2 people he loves his Audis, for pure sports car fun the Porsche is his favorite car.

As for interesting numbers, Corvettes have great numbers...but they don't drive the same way as a Boxster or Cayman. I've driven Audis and think they are fun to drive, but to be honest the only that really excites me is the R8.

If you already have a snow car/daily driver for bad weather and you are just buying a 2nd or 3rd car for fun, I'd go for the Spyder if I were in your shoes.
Best regards,
Dino
Old 07-09-2011, 10:47 AM
bbbradley
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Don't feed the troll.
A dissenting opinion makes it a troll comment? Every car in the entire world is about a trade-off. If you can't accept that, I can't help you.

Given the chance I would take a BS in a heartbeat, I believe it is a fantastic car despite it not being 100% perfect...like every other car out there.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Steering feel important? No comparison. And the Audi is not the good one.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:09 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 928 Posts

Having owned a TTS and currently the Spyder I'll chime in:

TTS
Pros:
-Quattro
-Lower Cost Maintenance
-Interior Design
-Cargo Volume
Cons:
-FWD Biased
-Weight
-Light Steering Feel (... Actually Numb)

TTRS
Pros:
-Engine!
-Exhaust Sound
-Manual only
Cons:
-Weight
-Light Steering
-FWD Biased

Spyder
Pros:
-Lightweight
-Suspension Handles like a dream
-Looks
-Mid-Engined
-Available CF Bucket Seats
-Roof Design
Cons:
-Roof Maintenance
-Road Noise

This is a opinion of course

I do think it's funny people are stating that the TTRS is a glorified Golf when the 1M is based on this:
Old 07-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

The 1-series is a balanced RWD platform based on the 3-series, which allows the 1M to share M3 suspension parts, brakes, wheels/tires, etc. For a performance car, it is a huge step above a Golf-based nose-heavy FWD platform in my book.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:38 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

So what did you end up getting?

Don't want to make this BMW vs VW/Audi, but one major fundamental difference between TTRS and 1Mc is that the 1M has a cross weight of 50% and TT is 60/40. On a 3,300lbs car, that is 660lbs more hanging over the nose. No doubt Audi's are very good cars, but I ain't buying it.

To many, I am sure the weight distribution is no big deal, because the car is still fast, handles well and reliable. But to me, it feels like too much of a compromise. Audi (and to be fair, most manufacturers) employs ideal weight distribution, and lots more chassis tuning in their supercars, and race cars. So they definitely see the benefit and have the know-how. Makes you wonder, if they have it on their DTM cars or the R8, how come their lower end car is not a little more weight balanced? Cost cutting? Lazy engineers? Axe by the marketing team?

Versus, the front engine/rear drive/50:50 layout is in every BMW's DNA since the 70's.

I have always been a huge fan of all the front engine, rear drive Porsche with perfect balance. In fact, I was looking at 928 GTS prior to the spyder. I just thought that Porsche had pour every ounce of effort and know-how into building what they thought at the time, a car that would be carrying the brand. I like it when the engineers run the show, cars that show more engineering effort than maketing. I guess that is how I ended up with a Spyder.

No disrespect to Audi owners. I just have to stick my nose in because I am just really really into BMW's. I represent them. I drive them, I own them, was a forum moderator, etc.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:53 AM
SpyderX
6th Gear

BMW just does not feel special compared to Porsche, Audi or Merc. Altohugh i do believe it will outdrive\outhandle the Audi and Merc. The M3 has been on my list for a long time and is a fantastic car, but i just never seemd to be able to pull the trigger on a Bimmer. The quality of the interior and the looks seemd to fall short.
I prefer the Spyder, it feels special and is a serious car built true to Porsches philosophy. But if you are looking for more luxury and brut force i would recommend the TT-RS with the dual clutch. The numbers are just magnificient. 0-60 in 3.6 sec!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 03:24 PM
pcw
Instructor

The TTRS is going to be a nice car, but to think it will do 3.6 0-60, that will not happen. Audi doesn't even quote anything close to those numbers. I'm not sure what C&D was smoking when they printed those 0-60 times, I'm sure it was a typo. In another C&D review they stated 4.6 0-60, very few stock cars north of 100K+ can run a 3.6 0-60, that's with 550 + HP, no way a 5 cyclider, turbo AWD making 360HP at the crank is going to run those times. My Mod'd stage 2 08 STI was putting down 345HP/380TQ to the ground couldn't come close to 3.6, the best I ever ran was a 4.2.

pcw
Old 07-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Most of the credit goes to the DSG and launch control, which I don't believe we will be seeing here in the US. IIRC, the 5-60mph times C&D obtained were not nearly as impressive.

Quick Reply: Spyder or TT-RS?