Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder or TT-RS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 11:57 PM
StefanP
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spyder or TT-RS?

I currently have an 05 Boxster S that I like a lot but it is time to upgrade. I had a TT years ago and am still a bit of an Audi fan, my family car is a 2009 A4 Avant. Now two things happened lately. First, the local Audi dealer got two TT-RS allocated, one fully black with black rims. Should be quite the car, I put money down (refundable) so I have the option of getting it when it arrives. Then a local luxury used car shop got a black on black Spyder, simply gorgeous, with only 900kms on it available. March 2011 car, practically new, full warranty, etc. But at a nice price point of course, about $15K off new, making it a bit cheaper than the TT-RS which comes in at $77K here in Canada.

I am torn, I bet the TT-RS will be an absolute blast, will be highly exclusive and more practical with Quattro. The RS only comes as a coupe though and I am not sure I want to give up the open top driving just yet.

Now for the question, I live in Vancouver. I own fun two seaters for the incredible mountain roads we have here. The only issue is the weather. It rains. A lot. I also have to do fairly regular 2.5 hour highway drives down to Redmond which in the Boxster are OK unless it snows. I wonder about the Spyder's top. How is it for highway driving in heavy rain? My fun driving is done during the sun months and I don't commute in the car but it needs some practicality re being able to drive in bad weather other than full on snow.

Any experience from Spyder owners appreciated!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:31 AM
balakris
Instructor

Originally Posted by StefanP
[TT-RS]will be highly exclusive
This made me laugh.

Nothing is more exclusive in this price range than a Spyder, save an Evora, etc. As a Spyder owner, I would actually recommend the TT-RS for you if you are concerned about the practicality of the top.

Unless you have this as a true 3rd vehicle and considering your 'balmy' Pac-NW weather, the top function can get a bit frustrating.

But the end you need to drive both and make a decision, that's what did it for me. The TT-RS is no where near the same galaxy when it comes to balance and performance. TT-RS suffers from a but of understeer, if my memory serves me correctly.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I'm not sure you're going to get an unbiased response from this group, but maybe that was your goal when posting here.

I remove the top and replace it before/after every drive and I don't find it difficult to remove/install at all. The sun cover extends past the rear piece and covers any possible gaps so falling rain won't have any place to get in. The rear piece provides a rubber window seal at the doors so you don't really get any wind noise either. The design is truly brilliant and effective.

If you use a hose or pressure washer and direct it underneath the sun cover then yes you will definitely get water into the cockpit but all it takes is a little care when washing and this isn't really an issue.

As far as the driving aspects go, I haven't driven a TTRS so I can't really comment on it but the Spyder is like nothing I've ever driven. I can't count how many times I've posted that the steering is telepathic and I get reminded of this on each and every drive. The steering feel, weight and the overall balance of the car are everything you would imagine when you think "sports car". There's plenty of acceleration and sub 5 second 0 -60 times isn't too shabby.

Build quality on the car is excellent. Panel gaps are perfect, not issues with rattles at all and trim feels solid.

As far as looks go, I personally like the looks of the TTRS but I like the looks of the Spyder even more. I am rarely drawn to a car just by it's looks and the Spyder does just that.

To put this to rest I would suggest you test drive both and then decide.

Good luck with your decision, both are good choices.

Here's a shot of my Basalt Black Spyder just to wet your appetite..
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2011, 08:14 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audi makes great cars

but

if you're over 165-170 cm in height I can't imagine being comfortable in the Audi cockpit for any extended period of time

Quattro is dandy in the snow, but no 4-wheel drive system can match the feel of the Spyder... cannot be done with TQ loads on the fronts. This is not to diss the TT at all. I'm sure the interior appointments a lovely (Audi has this down to Science) and it's a great car.

Which one stirs you on a Primal basis? After all, it's a "toy" in the end...
Old 07-08-2011, 11:25 AM
pcw
Instructor

I agree with everything that has been stated, especially with the comment on AWD. I just trading in my 08 STI (daily driver), incredible car and I thought it was one of the best handling cars I have ever owned.... that was until the Spyder came along. The STI doesn't come close to the Spyder in handling and no offense to Audi but the STI's AWD system is the best in the world. To be honest I was really surprised that you could get that kind of handling in a RWD car. It just goes to show that Porsche and the way they build their sport cars, no one area is more important than the other. Where other manufactures may focus more on the engine (HP), design, suspension and weight and cutting corners along the way. Porsche's mid-engine design should be the measuring stick for every other manufacturer's sports car line, but it isn't and that's a good thing for Porsche. Good luck with your decision but if you look at the total Spyder package, there really is no other choice than the Spyder. I'm sure the TTRS owners will say the complete opposite.

pcw
Old 07-08-2011, 12:12 PM
StefanP
3rd Gear

Thanks all. This isn't really a 'TT-RS vs Spyder' question even though I framed it that way. I have owned a TT before and know how a quattro car handles, have owned an SLK 55 AMG, different again. Now driving the Boxster which is very different from those two. My main concern is the top really and how it will hold up should I be caught in a rainstorm in the fall while going down a highway at 80mph. I'll go test drive it this weekend, who knows, it may very well rain :-)

Regarding exclusivity, I think the numbers for Spyders and TT-RS cars will be about the same in Vancouver. Boxsters are on every street corner however, the people in this city sure love their Porsches!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:16 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

I use the "sun bikini" (no back piece)when I'm anywhere but washing it. It has rained a lot here and I've driven at > 80 with no issues
Old 07-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StefanP
My main concern is the top really and how it will hold up should I be caught in a rainstorm in the fall while going down a highway at 80mph. I'll go test drive it this weekend, who knows, it may very well rain :-)
This wouldn't even pop up on my radar. It seriously is a very well designed top and the only way you'll fully understand it is through three or four removal and installation steps. Porsche really took all necessary steps to prevent rain from entering into the cabin.

Let us know what you think of both cars after the test drive.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:33 PM
bbbradley
Advanced

Audi vs Porsche for a toy car? Unless you are talking Audi R8, there isn't an Audi on a dealer lot I would take. Moreover a toy car that won't see the track needs to be a convertible. While I think the Spyder top design is a joke, the rest of the car looks simply sublime.

I am not a Porsche owner, but am an A4 owner in case you are wondering about owner loyalty/bias.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bbbradley
Audi vs Porsche for a toy car? Unless you are talking Audi R8, there isn't an Audi on a dealer lot I would take. Moreover a toy car that won't see the track needs to be a convertible. While I think the Spyder top design is a joke, the rest of the car looks simply sublime.

I am not a Porsche owner, but am an A4 owner in case you are wondering about owner loyalty/bias.

Why comment on the Spyder top if you don't have real world experience with it?
Old 07-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL- The biggest misinformation on the internet:
1. You need to only use 2" belts with a Hans device
2. The Spyder top is a joke.
3. President Obama is a great president.

(Your order may be different)
Old 07-08-2011, 02:23 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

I was going to comment a repeat of an earlier post, that the top is genius.

watertight and > 60 lb reduction of weight way up high on the chassis. Heck, even an A4 owner would feel the difference in weight...

the time it takes? if that bothers you, you just don't understand the premise of the vehicle. Buy something else.

and please bbradley, I'm truly not trying to be negative to you personally.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:42 PM
bbbradley
Advanced

The amount of defensiveness about the Spyder top cements just how much of a sub-optimal solution it is.

The car is fantastic, but take off the rose colored glasses and admit there are some shortcoming to the car. Yes, weight savings up high are a great way to help performance when you are looking to get from 9/10 to 10/10...which if you do on public roads is foolish.

Watertight is the #1 feature of the top?

I don't own a Spyder but have seen them in action both in person and on the interwebs.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:47 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

The amount of defensiveness about the Spyder top cements just how much of a sub-optimal solution it is.

The car is fantastic, but take off the rose colored glasses and admit there are some shortcoming to the car. Yes, weight savings up high are a great way to help performance when you are looking to get from 9/10 to 10/10...which if you do on public roads is foolish.

I don't own a Spyder but have seen them in action both in person and on the interwebs.
I said "watertight" not "waterproof"

funny, above you said "looks sublime", now you're an expert. Not "defensive" just explaining that some things are not as they seem.

sorry I misread you... enjoy your Audi, the Spyder isn't the car for you. No problem. Makes the World go 'round...
Old 07-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

As already mentioned, why comment on something you have no first hand experience with? The top is watertight unless you spray a hose underneath the sun cover. So essentially it's watertight unless you're careless when washing the car.

Taking the rose covered glasses off ...the only shortcoming I see with the top is that it takes about 2 minutes to put on and if you're not paying attention to your surroundings (ie weather) you may end up getting wet during the two minutes it takes to put the cover on. Considering what you gain including the beautiful rear Aluminum Cover and the weight loss and incredible handling I think it is a an awesome trade off.

Obviously you don't understand the purpose of this car.

Quick Reply: Spyder or TT-RS?