Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Tracking Your Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 06:39 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 167 Posts

Interesting to see a full roll cage without 6 pt harnesses...
Old 01-05-2012, 07:04 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Just spoke with TC Kline, he does in fact have both the 6 pt and regular belts so he can keep it street legal. Cost for full cage is $4200 without padding. Comes from Ohio. Takes about 4 weeks. 2-3 day install. Small tweaks to the trim at the A and B pillars as well as bolt in locations.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajjra
Is anyone running the BK rollbar extension on their Spyder?

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r3030.php
I don't anybody has used it because all of us are short enough where our helmeted heads lie below the stock hoops. If you're tall and your head goes above the hoops, than you need one of these.

Originally Posted by redyps
Interesting to see a full roll cage without 6 pt harnesses...
I just can't put a cage in a spyder. The car is too beautiful to do that to. I'm tracking the spyder for fun, not for racing or ultimate lap times. I would still like to try out a harness in the car, though, because I would imagine it helps with feeling stable and controlled in the car. There's no harness bar solution that exists for the boxsters, and I have to ask: why? There are plenty of people who track boxsters. Does nobody use harnesses? Or is the harness bar not necessary and everybody uses the rear roll bar to mount the shoulder belts? Which brings about the question in my other thread: Why would it be ok to do this?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Joe unfortunately I can't offer any assistance with the harness but it might be worth waiting and at least giving the sport buckets a shot before you continue with the modification. Harnesses will definitely strap you in better and make you feel "attached" to the car but if you're not going 9/10th's and your on the track for enjoyment it may be enough to stick with the standard belts. The Sport Buckets are incredible and you feel very connected to the car even with normal belts.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:46 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

No doubt the buckets will make a difference, but I would argue that the harnesses would be nice even below 9/10ths. I use schroth 4pt ASM harnesses in my evo, and they made a nice difference, even with the supportive recaro seats. Honestly, the built-in pass throughs for a 6pt are just calling out to me. It seems like a waste if I don't try to utilize them. Call me crazy, LOL.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:47 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Pete -

When you look at those mods you did and I believe undid when you got a 4.0 RS, which ones do you think were the most cost effective? Also, how would you rate the order of priority, e.g., 1) brakes, 2) suspension 3) tires, etc. And lastly, if one were to make those same mods, what is the total estimated cost for parts and labor?

Thanks,
Phil
Old 01-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That price for a cage is crazy high. If you are going to go that route, you could get a custom one INSTALLED for around $2500.....
Old 01-07-2012, 05:06 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blast from the past!

1. The OE brake pedal is nasty. So, GT3 master cylinder. Approx $600 P&L
2. The Capristo exhaust is out of this world and valved- Jeckyl/Hyde at the push of a button. Super expensive, super awesome. PDK Spyders sound like a Ferrari 458. $8000 P&L (?)
3. Being a convertible = flexy chassis, it is not the best track tool so I would not do anything to the suspension other than the Tarett "Pete spec" rear anti-sway bar to dial out the MASSIVE understeer. $400 P&L(?)

You are going to eat up the brakes if you are a heavy tracker. If you are up to the financial challenge ($~25k), MovIt will sell you a phenomenal brake system that is the best in the world and looks like it will stop a locomotive. (tom@tfent.com for USA orders)

Look, forget "cost effective". It is all emotion. Just dive head-first down the slippery slope. You can't take it with you.

There you go

Originally Posted by redyps
Pete -

When you look at those mods you did and I believe undid when you got a 4.0 RS, which ones do you think were the most cost effective? Also, how would you rate the order of priority, e.g., 1) brakes, 2) suspension 3) tires, etc. And lastly, if one were to make those same mods, what is the total estimated cost for parts and labor?

Thanks,
Phil
Old 01-07-2012, 06:10 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Pete, which specific set of harnesses did you use on your spyder? What is your opinion on mounting the shoulder belts to the stock rear roll bar?
Old 01-09-2012, 07:45 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Pete, which specific set of harnesses did you use on your spyder? What is your opinion on mounting the shoulder belts to the stock rear roll bar?
Schroth GT3 specific Profi II HANS harnesses (I have two complete sets of these for sale BTW https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...and-mount.html). It is the best choice by far compared to any other harness solution. It is what Porsche uses for OE with the OE (Euro Spec) Clubsport packages in GT3).

Stock rear roll bar is sooooo easy (compared to GT3) to mount shoulder harness to. It is fully structural. If you bend that, you have bigger problems to worry about. If you mount harnesses in a GT3 to an add-on rear roll bar why would anyone have any hesitation to mount to the integral bar in the Spyder/Boxster?

All this is in regards to carbon bucket OE seats. The regular seats should never ever be used with a 5/6pt harness.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:55 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Thanks, Pete. Your harnesses would be perfect for me to buy if I could justify buying a new helmet and a HANS device to use with it. On street tires and stock suspension with my skill level, I'm not going fast enough and just can't justify going HANS... yet...

Quick Reply: Tracking Your Spyder