Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

PTS 'Meteor Grey' Spyder from Detroit Auto Show at Porsche Roadshow!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default PTS 'Meteor Grey' Spyder from Detroit Auto Show at Porsche Roadshow!

I attended the Porsche World Roadshow in Candlestick - San Francisco last Thursday. I was surprised to see the special Paint-to-Sample 'Meteor Grey' Spyder from the Detroit Auto Show being flogged around the Autocross circuit (spinning at times and hitting pylons) by every Tom, Dick and...Harriet! Not a particular reverend way to treat what will most certainly be one of the rarest color Spyder in the US! I didn't bring a camera but Zellamsee might be able to post a photo of it if he reads this thread!

http://www.dspyda.com/dspyda/Spyder_..._Sample.html#8

I have only heard of one PTS Spyder being finally approved by PAG & PCNA. That is Steve's (JSF101) Speed Yellow, to be built in July (2011), which I understand is absolutely the LAST month of Spyder production - period, end of story, finito! Unfortunately Cayman was turned down on his PTS. Was anyone else in this forum successful in getting a PTS Spyder approved? Saludos, z356 (Carmel)
Old 05-18-2011, 06:16 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I once bought the 997 GT-3 Mk I that was the "test car" for C&D, R&T etc.

Speed yellow, check the first road tests

had a laceration in the front belly pan about a foot long from hitting something. They replaced the pan, full warr and BIG DISCOUNT

Flogged it around the track a bit until my automobile ADHD took hold again and I bought something else... I think it was an Audi S 6
Old 05-18-2011, 07:46 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Here is a pic of the Spyder. Yes, shocking that they would use it this way! I really like the color.
Attachment 537475

Last edited by zellamsee; 07-28-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:50 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

allegreto, did you find that it ( yellow 997) drove quite well? i think the ex-press cars, even though they have been driven hard, have been maintained at any expense and feel nice to drive?
Old 05-18-2011, 10:54 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
allegreto, did you find that it ( yellow 997) drove quite well? i think the ex-press cars, even though they have been driven hard, have been maintained at any expense and feel nice to drive?
Oh, drove great. What happened was that I received my Orange RS that I had ordered 10 mo prior. Drove it a bit and felt bad... didn't really want to flog it, but what the heck else does one do?

So I flipped my RS for 10K profit and bought this "beaten" GT-3. As fast as any 3 of the day and actually much smoother than the RS. Was actually quite nice...
Old 05-18-2011, 11:11 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

All of my other cars are grey...my Spyder would have been Meteor had it been offered.

Wouldn't touch one of the Porsche press, "Experience", or "Roadshow" car, however...they are the definition of abused.

Quick Reply: PTS 'Meteor Grey' Spyder from Detroit Auto Show at Porsche Roadshow!