Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Anybody switch from a 987S to a Spyder? If so, then how are you liking the change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 07:21 PM
awai08
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody switch from a 987S to a Spyder? If so, then how are you liking the change?

While not seriously thinking of trading in my '08 987S at the moment, I must admit that the Spyder is the first variant of the 987 since my car's introduction that has turned my head. It's interesting how all the cumulative changes (PDK, DFI, headlight/taillight restyle, etc.) add up incrementally. Then at some point, the difference is enough to make me consider the current version as a different kind of car.

Has anybody made the change from a 987 to a Spyder? If so, then how are you enjoying it?
Old 05-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a 2005 987 and a 2007 987S prior to the Spyder, I rate the Spyder as the best of the bunch. I really like the look of the Spyder compared to my 2 previous Boxster's, the Spyder looks awesome from every angle. The performance over my 2007 S is noticeable but not a great differences IMHO. It's a great car, one of the best sports cars on the road from Porsche. I hope to have mine for a very long time.

The thin roof looks great when it's up but the car is quite noisy at speeds over 70 mph, it's about the same with the top down as the Boxster S

Lots of hardcore 911 guys who consider the Boxster a poor man's Porsche seem to think different about the Spyder. When I tell them that I prefer to drive my Spyder on the street over my GT3 they seem too drop the poor cousin comments.

It's not better than my GT3 on the track but it will give a standard 997 something to worry about on most tracks.

Last edited by Polarporsche; 05-16-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:41 AM
MAPC
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I am afraid to drive one for fear that I will want to trade up too! I just 'needed' to replace my DD and ordered a 2012 Cayenne. This P-car stuff is entirely too addictive.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:59 AM
awai08
Advanced

Lol MAPC, too funny. That said, I'm in the same boat. When I get that thought, I go for a spin in my 987S and all is well again.

Polarporsche, looks like you have the best of all worlds! Wow, I'm not sure what I would choose every day if I had the cars in your garage. So how often do you take the top down on the Spyder, and does it really take only 2 minutes to put up/down?

I figure that I'll have to wait at least until the new models are out. The Spyder really should be a permanent variant on the Boxster menu.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The top takes about 3 - 4 minutes to remove or install if you really take your time and go slow. I usually go slow to make sure I don't put a scratch on the rear hatch.

The first three times are really awkward but once you figure out how to fold it it's really easy.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:51 PM
awai08
Advanced

Thanks MarineBlue. Yeah, I'd probably also be one to go slow. The mechanics of the roof sort of encourages leaving the top down once the roof is lowered.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:18 PM
gwc
Advanced

Default THe top

I do not have a spyder as yet, I do have one on order. I was lucky enough to drive one in my local dealer inventory, and took the time to put the top up and down. It is really pretty simple. Sure it is not just push a button like the 911 cab, but it is not difficult by any means.

I could see where the top could get a little old for some owners, but for me, I actually embrace the "quirky" top. I think it adds to the total sports car experience, like true sports cars often require a little more commitment from their owners. Sort of like the old british roadster of yore, you had to get out of the car, erect the "skeleton" and then drape the "hood" over the structure to actually get the top on the car!! I think the spyder top is actually a pretty cool engineering feat (if they are reasonably weathertight in say ten years) and just adds that much more to the total package. In addition the car looks as good with the top on or off, and that cannot be said for all drop top cars.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Awai08,

I think you have to ask youself how you are going to use the car? If you are just using it as a fun car, on weekends, then the amount of time and effort required to raise or remove the roof probably won't matter that much.

If you are going to use it as a daily driver, then it might matter more. Two to four minutes really isn't that much time to deal with a top for weekend driving, and maybe we've gotten a bit spoiled by being able to pull a latch and press a button to lower the top on the standard 987s. However, depending on your parking situation at work and and if you are going to want to drive to and from work with the top down, then thats twice a day you are having to raise or lower the roof. At an average of say 3 minutes, twice per day over the course of five work days thats about half hour a week vs. about 2.5 minutes per week for the power top of a 987S.

Interestingly, Marine Blue and I just met a guy at a cars & coffee event, who recently traded a Spyder for a Cayman R. He was using his Sypder daily and raising/lowering the top twice a day. In the end he went to the Cayman R, I got the impression to nix dealing with the top on what is his daily driver in the spring/summer months. But Marine Blue talked to him more than I did and may have a different impression regarding this guy trading a Spyder for a Cayman R.

Since I don't use my 987 everyday, if I were considering a newer Porsche I'd give some very serious consideration to a Spyder. Taking the top on or off at my leisure on a weekend wouldn't matter much to me. But I don't think I'd do it if it was going to be a daily driver. I'm usually in too much of a hurry getting into work to want to mess with the top, or I'd have to just keep the top up for my drive to work.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 05-16-2011, 07:35 PM
awai08
Advanced

Indeed, Dino. I did buy my car to be the occasional if not weekend car, and that's how it's turning out to be. I do really like the aesthetics of the Spyder top; those "buttresses" give the car a contour that reminds me of the 904 or Ferrari Dino. Really nice. On the other hand, being able to come to a stoplight while putting the top up / down at the flick of a button cannot be more convenient!

I'm letting my car's internals earn its keep. I'm lucky to have a 987S with most of the performance goodies (e.g. sport chrono & PASM), which really do make the car. If I were wanting significantly more or a different set of options with a Boxster S, then getting them all in a Spyder would make for a convenient buy. Will see...

Quick Reply: Anybody switch from a 987S to a Spyder? If so, then how are you liking the change?