Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

anyone looking for a 2011 Arctic Silver/Black Boxster Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Default anyone looking for a 2011 Arctic Silver/Black Boxster Spyder

In case anyone is searching...no affiliation ... price seems decent given the options the car has and the low mileage

http://ooley-and-blackburn.ebizautos...px?iid=6850212
Old 04-23-2011, 09:22 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I've got my eye on that one. Was hoping they would discount it but they aren't moving much. Not necessarily saying they are too high, was just looking to get in lower than where they are.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:25 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Forgot to mention, there is one on Autotrader in Atlanta that is similarly optioned(minus PSE) and similar mileage for even less money. But it has PDK w/o sport chrono.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:39 PM
jimcabc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a former customer, Ooley & Blackburn have an excellent reputation locally, but they don't discount their cars much. They typically stock only very nice used cars. I imagine this one is exceptional.

Jim
Old 04-24-2011, 08:29 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

What is up with all these low mileage spyders for sale? Over a dozen on autotrader. A few even had less and 500 miles. Only one guy stated his reason for selling. You usually see this type of buying and flipping in exotics, except I am sure the org owners all took hits on trade in, cause the car is still being produced. Some people just have too much money to burn.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Nirvana
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
What is up with all these low mileage spyders for sale? Over a dozen on autotrader. A few even had less and 500 miles. Only one guy stated his reason for selling. You usually see this type of buying and flipping in exotics, except I am sure the org owners all took hits on trade in, cause the car is still being produced. Some people just have too much money to burn.
I spoke with a dealer who had a customer buy a Spyder and bring it back to trade in short order. He thinks that lots of buyers are enamored with the concept but come face-to-face with the impracticality very quickly upon delivery. He said resale value of a Spyder is currently very poor.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:23 PM
jimcabc
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd have to agree with the Nirvana post. If I wanted just a weekend fun car, the Spyder would still have marginal practicality here in the Indiana midwest. The top would be a major issue for me with the very changeable weather around here. It's one thing to be out and have to press a button to raise the top due to an unpredicted thunderstorm, it's another to have to stop the car and construct the top. Otherwise, if I had the money to spend, I might have actually considered the Spyder.

2012 Boxster - built April 15th, on order
1987 Porsche Cabrio - sold but not forgotten
Old 04-25-2011, 08:07 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

PAG built the Spyder as a niche car. It's not intended to please the masses. Eventually these cars will end up in the right hands. With production numbers in the mid 500s the Spyder will end up a rare car. Doesn't mean the value will rise but the car will be rare. I can't think of too many cars where production numbers will be this low especially a $70K car. Porsche built a great car for the few who will appreciate it.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Personally I'm glad Porsche didn't hold back with the Spyder, if they did I wouldn't have bought it. I agree 100% that it's not a practical car but then again there are tons of cars that aren't practical daily drivers and yet demand remains high for many of them.

If you want a weekend fun car that is telepathic, beautiful and unique I think the Spyder is hard to beat. Not only that but it's backed with Porsche's build quality and reliability.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:58 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,148 Likes on 1,464 Posts

The Spyder is oh-so-sexy, in the way that a Ducati 999 is. Looks a million miles an hour sitting still and on the road, and has the squirts to back it up. But after 100 miles or so, at 2 p.m. on a 90 degree day with the sun beating down, it gets pretty old, very quickly.

In the regular Boxster, such as I have, a press of the button at the stoplight when the diesel trucks pull up on either side of me and the top is up, the AC on, my wife is MUCH happier and I give up precious little in performance.

Now what Porsche should have done was build the Spyder looks with a power top, then they would have really hit a home run.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:22 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

Heck, if it's going to be 90 degrees that's when I pull the Rolls out of the garage not the Spyder ;-}
Old 04-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

As the saying goes, horses for courses.

Power top equals more weight and more convenience, it definitely has its place and I agree that the majority of car owners prefer this. But taking off and reinstalling the top was only difficult and frustrating during the first and second try. On my third try I figured it out and it takes me 3 minutes. No fuss no muss. Not really a major inconvenience unless you get caught in a thunderstorm but then again if its overcast you can always put the cover on and not worry about rain.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:19 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
As the saying goes, horses for courses.

Power top equals more weight and more convenience, it definitely has its place and I agree that the majority of car owners prefer this. But taking off and reinstalling the top was only difficult and frustrating during the first and second try. On my third try I figured it out and it takes me 3 minutes. No fuss no muss. Not really a major inconvenience unless you get caught in a thunderstorm but then again if its overcast you can always put the cover on and not worry about rain.
Agreed, but that's also why I'm glad they made the Cayman R.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Nirvana
He said resale value of a Spyder is currently very poor.
Depends on what part of the country you are in. Spring hasn't yet sprung in some places, while others can't get enough Spyder inventory.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:46 PM
Nirvana
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Depends on what part of the country you are in. Spring hasn't yet sprung in some places, while others can't get enough Spyder inventory.
The dealer I spoke with was in Oklahoma. They don't really have to thaw out that much.

Quick Reply: anyone looking for a 2011 Arctic Silver/Black Boxster Spyder