Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Boxster Spyder hard top for pca racing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:34 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boxster Spyder hard top for pca racing?

maybe not anytime immediately soon, but at some point the Spyder prices will continue to fall to a point where a PCA club racer might pony up and unleash that beast.

but until there is a hard top, if one can be so crafted, not sure it makes sense, since aerodynamically, it would be a pig with the top open.

thoughts?
anyone considered it?
Old 04-25-2011, 12:15 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Re-tasking Porsches for duties they were not meant for can be very expensive and frustrating.

A GT-3/RS makes sense for the serious tracker. I even owned a 997 CUP for one summer. I admit,it was a bigger piece than I can chew and and so it's gone. But I see guys spend $$$$$$ to get a 3 near a CUP and that just doesn't hunt for me. And, it still can't touch a CUP on the track

Adapting a Boxster or Cayman for tracking makes sense. Taking a beautifully balanced sports car and twisting it around to suit a specialty purpose just makes no sense to me when they make things for that. I admit,just looking at all the weight saved high up on the chassis you know those axles will have amazingly low centers of rotation, and you can bet Porsche put 'em just where they belong. But I'd rather save a Spyder for street fun and not "toughen it up".

Just one man's opinion of course and you're welcome to spend yours as you please. No offense intended.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:33 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree 100%.
i wonder how the cayman r will hold up on the track - as to whether it's gonna be durable enough?
Old 04-26-2011, 04:27 PM
racer
Drifting

While demand would be small vs a boxster due to production numbers, whose to say someone wouldn't fashion an aftermarket hardtop for a spyder?

imho, once you take a car down the "racetrack" path, I am no longer sure what advantage the spyder would have over a regular BoxsterS prepared to equal levels.

I also think that the Spyder, not fitting into "spec" class rules, would also limit its appeal as a starting point.

I'd also be curious to know at what speed the open top truly becomes a drain? At really small track, where straightaway speed is relatively low, say Lime Rock, maybe it wouldn't hurt? VIR? well, then yes, aero would be quite important.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Nirvana
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgive my ignorance since I'm not a tracker. Would a racing hardtop need to accommodate a roll cage? I wouldn't think that a removable hardtop on a convertible would offer any additional protection that the roll bars are not already providing.

Last edited by Nirvana; 04-26-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:49 PM
racer
Drifting

Correct Nirvana.. the hardtop would have to cover a rollcage.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:53 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nirvana
Forgive my ignorance since I'm not a tracker. Would a racing hardtop need to accommodate a roll cage? I wouldn't think that a removable hardtop on a convertible wouldn't offer any additional protection that the roll bars are not already providing.
yes it would. It's possible there are weld points still on the chasis, but maybe not, don't know

Then you have the weight of a cage high up on the frame and of course the stock shocks would no longer be ideal.

Like pulling a thread on a hand-made sweater

Strip and outfit a Boxster. It's not that expensive as race cars go.

Quick Reply: Boxster Spyder hard top for pca racing?