Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder Pricing Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 12:25 PM
MWM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spyder Pricing Question

Is invoice + $2200 a fair deal for a build-to-order car?
Old 03-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

That sounds like a really good deal.

What options are you selecting?
Old 03-11-2011, 01:45 PM
MWM
Intermediate

Basically none. It comes with everything I need, like LSD, sport buckets, good brakes. I'd likely add air-con (for defrost safety as much as anything) -- I live in ME now and it doesn't really get hot here -- stereo, possibly PSE (not sure it's worth the $$ tho)
Old 03-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Invoice +2200 on a low-options build-to-order is a good deal, imho. Your options are identical to what I'm trying to get; pse, ac, radio.

What color are you ordering?
Old 03-11-2011, 04:54 PM
MWM
Intermediate

Carrara White? I might really like Black with Black wheels (Fathers & Sons in MA had a car on their site like that) but $1900 seems steep just for a different wheel color. Trying to be really careful on ticking the boxes.

You?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Aqua Blue. Yes, the options add up fast.

Good luck on the ordering process...
Old 03-11-2011, 06:18 PM
pcw
Instructor

Originally Posted by MWM
Carrara White? I might really like Black with Black wheels (Fathers & Sons in MA had a car on their site like that) but $1900 seems steep just for a different wheel color. Trying to be really careful on ticking the boxes.

You?
When I ordered mine in Dec 09', you could not add the painted rims when the ordering banks first opened. You can always get them powder coated, I spent total 950.00, that included the PC, new all black colored center caps, dismount, remount and balanced. They came out really nice. The options I added were PSE, a must IMO, heated sports seats, A/C and radio.

pcw
Old 03-11-2011, 08:13 PM
MWM
Intermediate

^ hawt.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

MWM definitely get the sports exhaust, it transforms the car IMHO. The price you've been quoted is slightly lower than what I've seen quoted by other dealers.

PCW, is your car lowered or is that the stock ride height? Hard not to drool after looking at those pictures!
Old 03-12-2011, 12:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,705 Likes on 2,342 Posts

yes, you NEED PSE.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:25 AM
batty
Instructor

PSE positively transforms the car. I wouldn't drive a mile without it. Also, get the dealership to drop the boxster badge and center the Spyder, and you'll be hot to trot.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:31 AM
pcw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
MWM definitely get the sports exhaust, it transforms the car IMHO. The price you've been quoted is slightly lower than what I've seen quoted by other dealers.

PCW, is your car lowered or is that the stock ride height? Hard not to drool after looking at those pictures!
Stock height, added X-PEL clear Bra, Tinted Windows, Vanity Plates, US Mill Works License Plate Bracket (not shown), Powder Coated rims.

pcw
Old 03-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcw
Stock height, added X-PEL clear Bra, Tinted Windows, Vanity Plates, US Mill Works License Plate Bracket (not shown), Powder Coated rims.

pcw
You're car really looks fantastic, every time I see a white one I wonder if I should have ordered it in white instead of the basalt. Too late now!

I also picked up the US Mill works plate holder, it's a work of art and I can remove it anytime to enjoy the lines of the car without the wart in the front.

I will also be getting a clear bra, probably full coverage except for the front bumper which I may request a pre-cut piece to avoid cuts on the car.

MWM I received your PM and was waiting for another Rennlister who inquired ealier to let me know if he was going to follow through with the purchase. I'm aware of another allocation as well but its a bit further south and you would have a bit of a drive to get it. Still I doubt you'll find a better deal that what you already were offered.

Good luck and keep us updated!
Old 03-12-2011, 12:14 PM
pcw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
You're car really looks fantastic, every time I see a white one I wonder if I should have ordered it in white instead of the basalt. Too late now!

I also picked up the US Mill works plate holder, it's a work of art and I can remove it anytime to enjoy the lines of the car without the wart in the front.

I will also be getting a clear bra, probably full coverage except for the front bumper which I may request a pre-cut piece to avoid cuts on the car.

MWM I received your PM and was waiting for another Rennlister who inquired ealier to let me know if he was going to follow through with the purchase. I'm aware of another as well but its a bit further south and you would have a bit of a drive to get it. Still I doubt you'll find a better deal that what you already were offered.

Good luck and keep us updated!
I love the black, but could never own that color, I'm to **** about spots, swirls, scratches etc... As far as the clear bra, most are pre cut. X-PEL by far has the best patterns. If you go with the X-PEL kit (pre cut), it comes with 3M film. Find a good installer, I bet they use X-PEL pattens and you can choose a different films if you want. Some people don't like 3M film, I have had Venture Shield, decent film, I have a friend that has LLumar film, pretty nice film as well. The 3M comes with the best warranty, 7 years with no cracking, yellow, peeling, includes material and labor, at least that's what I got from my installer. IMO the 3M is the best film, no orange peel look, great shine and you should always use a good plastic cleaner, I use Plexus, great stuff.

The pre cut X-PEL pattern on my Spyder is spot on, tight fit all the way around. I had a few custom requests around the car but everything else was pre cut from a plotter at the installers shop. Just do your research on the film, black cars (darker cars in general) will takes it's toll on a clear bra because of the color and the heat that it will produce in direct sunlight, just an fyi Good luck with your car.

pcw
Old 03-12-2011, 12:46 PM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll add to the PSE comments:

My Spyder came without the PSE (bought as a 250-mile used vehicle). I negotiated a PSE install as part of the purchase (through Tequipment parts). I drove the car for about 6 weeks until the PSE arrived and I could schedule the install which was just this week. Given my 6 weeks of non-PSE and 2 days of with-PSE (and my love of "nice-not-too-obnoxious" exhaust sound), the PSE is a MUST HAVE. As others state, it totally transforms the driving experience.

Check the box and don't think twice.

ENJOY!!!

Quick Reply: Spyder Pricing Question