Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

The Wait Begins....Spyder Ordered!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I'm surprised that the Sport Exhaust is even an option on the Spyder, it should have been part of the package. A car that is dedicated to the "drive" should enhance not only the feel, handling and looks but also the sound! I guess it's a way for them to make some extra $$, then again maybe I shouldn't be surprised.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:48 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

wow. i thought that there were no longer any allocations available from PCNA? when i bought mine in the U.S, the dealer couldn't find a slot. how did you get yours?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by khooni
wow. i thought that there were no longer any allocations available from PCNA? when i bought mine in the U.S, the dealer couldn't find a slot. how did you get yours?
I hunted for several weeks and was uncessful finding an allocation locally. The local dealers promised they could get one but none followed through with actually finding one for me. Only1Buck was kind enough to let me know of an allocation at his dealer which I jumped on. Supposedly many larger dealers receiving allocations and many of the West Coast dealers received several (which makes sense). Overall most of the allocations are already gone and or dealers have already configured them and they're being built in March for April/May delivery. I think more allocations will be available after April of this year.

I should note that my order isn't confirmed yet since the car was already configured when I placed my deposit, I should know by the end of the day today if its a done deal. Keeping my fingers crossed and thinking positive!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:43 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice choice!
Old 01-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
nice choice!
Thanks!

Just received confirmation from the dealer that the order change was approved. Looks like late April early May delivery which is perfect!

Old 01-25-2011, 02:12 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Afshin;

Have the dealer e-mail you the order reference.

It contains the allocation period, current order status, all your option confirmations, etc.

BD
Old 01-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Karl02832
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So who did you end up ordering your car from?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDuce
Afshin;

Have the dealer e-mail you the order reference.

It contains the allocation period, current order status, all your option confirmations, etc.

BD
The dealer had sent this to me via email when they confirmed the build. The only thing I didn't see is the allocation period although the dealer had stated that the build was delayed to the end of March due to the last minute change.

Originally Posted by Karl02832
So who did you end up ordering your car from?
Hi Karl, I ordered it through Paul Miller in NJ. I did talk to Jeff at Rietzl and gave him several shots at getting the car but in the end he wasn't able to come through.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:57 PM
SDGuy
Instructor

Afshin,
Congrats! Great build list. Thought you already had a Spyder since you know so much about them. Do you happen to have a picture of the crests on the sport bucket seats? Must look great.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SDGuy
Afshin,
Congrats! Great build list. Thought you already had a Spyder since you know so much about them. Do you happen to have a picture of the crests on the sport bucket seats? Must look great.
Funny thing is that until June of 2010 I hadn't really paid any attention to the Spyder. I was happy with my 928 and had no intention of selling it. I was showing the 928 at a concours and that is the first time I saw the Spyder in person, it was a black one and I think I spent more time looking at it than all the other cars combined. I went back at least three or four times when the crowds subsided to look at the details. When I got home I started researching the car and thought, wow what a perfect setup. Within 3 weeks I had made up my mind to sell the 928 and buy one. It took a while to find the right home for the 928 so I had to wait until it was sold before pulling the trigger on the Spyder. While I waited I kept reading everything I could about the car, you an say I'm obsessed with it.

Really excited that I am finally able to follow through with buying a dream car.

I don't have any pictures of the seat crests but here is a picture from the Porsche configurator.
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2011, 09:18 PM
SDGuy
Instructor

You made the right choice - you will be driving a near-perfect modern sports car in 10 short weeks. The snow will have just enough time to melt for a perfect drive home.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

what about a short shifter?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
what about a short shifter?
Anthony asked me the same thing when I was placing the order. I debated it but decided I liked the smoother actuation and the throws weren't that long from what I remember. I had also heard from many that the short shifter is notchy and I really want a smooth, effortless shifter.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:28 AM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll second that thought on the short shifter. I've had one in every BMW I've owned and there is one in my 993 as well.

When I ran the "Configuator" for my ideal Spyder, it's one of the options I chose. As I ended up buying a "Used" Spyder, I took what I got which did not include the short shifter. My thoughts were that I could always add it at a later time.

After picking up my Spyder today and driving about 120 miles, I re-thinking the need for a short shifter. The throws aren't necessarily long, and it has a nice feel to it, as-is. Obviously it will loosen up a little with time, so my thoughts could change, but my recommendation would be to go with the standard shifter. There are much better places to spend those extra $$$....
Old 01-27-2011, 08:10 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by caronsd

After picking up my Spyder today and driving about 120 miles, I re-thinking the need for a short shifter. The throws aren't necessarily long, and it has a nice feel to it, as-is. Obviously it will loosen up a little with time, so my thoughts could change, but my recommendation would be to go with the standard shifter. There are much better places to spend those extra $$$....
That was exactly my impression when I test drove the car.

Quick Reply: The Wait Begins....Spyder Ordered!