Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

996 TT to Boxster Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 04:58 PM
01C4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 TT to Boxster Spyder

Since a teenager I have lusted for a Porsche. In 2004 I finally had an opportunity to get one. A silver 2001 C4, my first Porsche and what fun it was. In 2007 an opportunity presented it self and the C4 was traded in on a 2003 TT. The power was intoxicating, handling outstanding and way more capable than the driver. In early 2009 a number of customers of Speedway Motors Victoria B.C. were invited to the World Road Show in Toronto. BIG MISTAKE - there I was able to sample all of Porsches offerings. We four wheeled in Cayennes, tore down the course in C2s 4s, Caymans and Boxsters. The highlight was a spirited trip around the track with a professional driver in a Cayenne turbo. OMG - I never knew a SUV could do that!! Anyway, the one event that we participated in was an autocross with a Boxster. I can't remember that last time I had so much enjoyment in driving a car. Tearing around the cones was an absolute blast. To me it was what Porsches are all about. Now don't get me wrong, I love my TT but it is a lot of car. And too easy to acquire speeding tickets. After a lot of thought I have decided to take the plunge into a 2011 Boxster Spyder ( factory order ). Its a huge step for me going from the 911 series. I am excited and looking forward to the many twisties around our area. So, are there any other TT owners out there that share my views??

Cheers
Dean W.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:10 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 936 Posts

Congrats Dean! You'll love it!
www.dspyda.com
Old 01-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 01C4
Since a teenager I have lusted for a Porsche. In 2004 I finally had an opportunity to get one. A silver 2001 C4, my first Porsche and what fun it was. In 2007 an opportunity presented it self and the C4 was traded in on a 2003 TT. The power was intoxicating, handling outstanding and way more capable than the driver. In early 2009 a number of customers of Speedway Motors Victoria B.C. were invited to the World Road Show in Toronto. BIG MISTAKE - there I was able to sample all of Porsches offerings. We four wheeled in Cayennes, tore down the course in C2s 4s, Caymans and Boxsters. The highlight was a spirited trip around the track with a professional driver in a Cayenne turbo. OMG - I never knew a SUV could do that!! Anyway, the one event that we participated in was an autocross with a Boxster. I can't remember that last time I had so much enjoyment in driving a car. Tearing around the cones was an absolute blast. To me it was what Porsches are all about. Now don't get me wrong, I love my TT but it is a lot of car. And too easy to acquire speeding tickets. After a lot of thought I have decided to take the plunge into a 2011 Boxster Spyder ( factory order ). Its a huge step for me going from the 911 series. I am excited and looking forward to the many twisties around our area. So, are there any other TT owners out there that share my views??

Cheers
Dean W.
While the Spyder is a nice car I can't see moving from my 03 Turbo to one. I don't use the top down driving available from my Boxster and the Spyder even more a top down focused car.

But I could see giving my 03 Turbo up for a Cayman S.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:43 PM
01C4
Intermediate

My wife and I thought long and hard on the switch. The 03 TT is a magnificant car and I wish we could have both. We are not serious racers nor are we looking at a DD in our Porsche. We both love to drive and experience the thrill of a brisk early morning spin in the country. We also have an 08 Harley Ultraglide CVO but too many scares has resulted in us rethinking biking together. The manual top doesn't bother us at all - compared to getting caught in a rainstorm on a touring bike. At 48 we enjoy life and a serious roadster fits the bill. I was just wondering if any other Porsche nuts out there made a switch and their reasons for doing so?

Cheers
Dean W.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from a 2007 997 Turbo to a Spyder.

Of course the power of the turbo is leaps and bounds above the Spyder but the Spyder does everything else better. Handling, gear shift and clutch feel, steering, balance, sound are all superior in the Spyder. Also higher redline, smoother power delivery.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:41 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I just sold the 928 to switch to a Spyder. Same issue, the 928 is way too capable and the only real way to have fun is when you've exceeded the speed limits. If I was living in TX, AZ or NV the 928 would be great but around here it's overkill.

I'll be ordering a Spyder later this week.....
Old 01-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

i am thinking hard of going from Boxster to 997.2 Turbo - not sure how it will roll out
Old 01-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
i am thinking hard of going from Boxster to 997.2 Turbo - not sure how it will roll out
Well you won't be disappointed in the power and torque!
Old 02-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

I'm in the process of selling the 07 Carrera and getting a 987. Had two 986's any really miss the Box.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:25 AM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

I just recently test drove the spyder and I can tell it is more fun to drive than the 996TT...the 996 TT is really more of very fast GT car...the spyder is a true sports car with great feel, where as in the TT you feel someone detached and often you dont realize how fast you are going....
Old 02-26-2011, 11:43 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Buying any car and especially a Porsche is more of an emotional rather than a rational decision, but I think it's important to make the decision at least a semi-rational one. What each car buyer should do is to list what is most important to him in a car: performance, prestige, handling, design, value, comfort, etc. A great deal of honest self assessment is required in order to correctly set your car ownership priorities.

If prestige for example is at the top of your list, I'm not certain that a Boxster is the right choice since the average person will be far more impressed by a 911 than a Boxster which is looked at by many as a poor man's Porsche.

I'm an old guy who purchased his first 911 in 1970. At this point in my life, impressing anyone is not even on my list. The top three priorities for me were handling, comfort, and value. So the Boxster was an easy choice for me. It was relatively inexpensive to purchase, has modest maintenance expenses, provides super handling for the street, and provides a very comfortable ride. I took my Boxster for a five hour non stop drive a few months ago, and my back wasn't the least bit stiff, whereas my back would get a little tight after a thirty minute ride in my 993.

Bottom line is that I've owned my 2007 Boxster for nearly four years, and I haven't even considered trading it in. This is certainly going to be a keeper, so I finally accurately assessed my priorities , and it only took me 40 years to get it right.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:30 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by scycle2020
I just recently test drove the spyder and I can tell it is more fun to drive than the 996TT...the 996 TT is really more of very fast GT car...the spyder is a true sports car with great feel, where as in the TT you feel someone detached and often you dont realize how fast you are going....
+1

A friend of mine had a 996TT. It was modded and produced around 525hp. It did everything well, and it could be driven all day long at tripple digit speeds. He said it was so drama free that you could practically drive it at 100+ mph with one hand on the wheel and drinking a soda at the same time. However, eventually he felt it really didn't feel like a sports car, and found it kind of boring so he eventually got rid of it.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 02-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dino944
+1

A friend of mine had a 996TT. It was modded and produced around 525hp. It did everything well, and it could be driven all day long at tripple digit speeds. He said it was so drama free that you could practically drive it at 100+ mph with one hand on the wheel and drinking a soda at the same time. However, eventually he felt it really didn't feel like a sports car, and found it kind of boring so he eventually got rid of it.

Best regards,
Dino
Funny but my 02 Boxster also can be driven at 100mph (or more) for as long as I choose to do so. The car is a roadster, obviously, but it has some GT characteristics, too. I would dare say this is true of all modern Porsches.

Modern Porsches (and I suspect older Porsches too but I've never driven one) are very fine cars and are extremely stable and well-planted at speed and are imminently suited for high speed cruising.

This is not the sole realm of the Turbos.

(As an aside, my 03 Turbo can of course also cruise at 100mph all day long the only real difference between it the Boxster (besides the V-max difference which I have yet to obtain in either car) is the Turbo requires more frequent gas stops.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Funny but my 02 Boxster also can be driven at 100mph (or more) for as long as I choose to do so. The car is a roadster, obviously, but it has some GT characteristics, too. I would dare say this is true of all modern Porsches.

Modern Porsches (and I suspect older Porsches too but I've never driven one) are very fine cars and are extremely stable and well-planted at speed and are imminently suited for high speed cruising.

This is not the sole realm of the Turbos.

(As an aside, my 03 Turbo can of course also cruise at 100mph all day long the only real difference between it the Boxster (besides the V-max difference which I have yet to obtain in either car) is the Turbo requires more frequent gas stops.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
It's true that all modern Porsches can drive triple digits comfortably all day long and overall they are amazingly capable and comfortable sports cars.

Since I haven't driven a modern 911 I can't really comment how much driver involvement there is but when I compare the Spyder to the 928's I owned I can say that the convertible which brings in the sounds, smells and air movement combined with the incredible feedback from the Boxsters steering really is a treat for the senses.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Agree. The Boxster (and the Cayman S I owned for a while) and while I've never ridden in or driven one the Spyder too I'm sure, all have superb steering, handling, road feel, and so on.

I haven't used my Boxster with its top down now in years, and when I used to I never really did enjoy the top down experience all that much, but for those that like this sort of thing the Boxster and the Sypder even more so offer this in spades.

My Turbo is a very fine car, no doubt about it, but the Boxster does offer somewhat better connection to the road than the Turbo. The Turbo never feels like it is disconnected in any way, but I guess the difference can be made clear by this: When in the Turbo and I drive over a coin on the road, I tell you the coin's denomination. When I drive over the same coin in the Boxster, not only can I tell you the coin's denomination, I can tell if the coin's up facing side is heads or tails.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: 996 TT to Boxster Spyder