Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Paint to sample on a Boxster Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 01:16 AM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Paint to sample on a Boxster Spyder?

Has anyone been successful in ordering a Paint to sample color on the Boxster Spyder?
Old 09-08-2010, 05:34 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

It was a $5500 option on the Boxster and Boxster S for '10.....has your dealer indicated you cannot do this on an ordered Boxster Spyder?

There are cutoff dates for PTS production, that's the only restriction I am aware of. But the factory may limit the Boxster Spyder production period, and that could affect this too.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 09-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I have asked two dealers about this and both responded that they aren't offering it. They do have some new colors which will be available after October but none of the dealers have responded to my request to place a deposit for a January 2011 allocation.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:51 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

My dealer said they were putting in a special request but wasn't sure the answer. I was trying to get Riviera Blue.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default When will Spyder production stop?

Mile2424: Besides whether they will allow PTS or not (highly doubtful according to all feedback I have read on this and other forums), a bigger question is if there will be any more Spyder production for balance of this MY2011 (model year). What is the last actual allocation that any forum member has obtained for Fall production from a US dealer, confirmed by PCNA??? What is the date of estimated production at Zuffenhausen itself?

The speculation is that Porsche wants to make sure the market is not 'over-saturated' with supply of these specialty niche products, especially when it is apparently committed to producing a run of a similar niche car - the Cayman CS or R. That light-weight & sport suspension tweaked model is scheduled to be shown at LA Auto Show starting in mid-November (Press Days). It would not surprise me if Porsche stops the production of the Spyder shortly (or already?) and just offers the new Cayman CS/R for the rest of MY2011, which is probably the last year for this 987 chassis. Total demand for such niche vehicles (Spyders and Cayman CS/R's) in this market is a finite number, don't you guys think?

I have actually gone to the PCNA website this Labor Day Weekend and looked up at every individual dealer site in the US to see actual inventory of remaining unsold Spyders. I will do a separate new thread on this subject. But in any case, you will be surprised at the total number of Spyders currently available in inventory! The warm days of summer have now mostly passed. We are now heading into the rainy & cold (sometimes snowy) season in most of the US mainland. I doubt they will be selling a lot of these beautiful but 'inclement-weather-challenged' cars before next Spring. So, why would Porsche or their dealers take the risk of producing a lot more of these Spyders going forward, especially if they need to also sell a respectable number of Cayman CS/R's next Spring/Summer, all within Model Year 2011? It is not beneficial to them...or to you as a current, or soon to be, Spyder owner!

But in any case, Mile, I wish you good luck in getting a Riviera colored Boxster. That is an incredibly beautiful color and would work well on the Spyder. I have seen it on a 997.2 gt3 & gt3RS and it looks terrific! I have an '70 911E Targa with original Crystal Blue paint (which is rare indeed), so I am a big fan of non-metallic medium hue blues. z356
Old 09-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

There is a photo of a grey Spyder in Europe floating around the internet, so it has been done.

I doubt it is possible now, however. Porsche requires 6 months for PTS, and the new platform Boxster will most likely be in production by then.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mile2424
My dealer said they were putting in a special request but wasn't sure the answer. I was trying to get Riviera Blue.
Please PM me or respond here if you get a reply. I would be very interested in knowing this as well.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:39 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
There is a photo of a grey Spyder in Europe floating around the internet, so it has been done.

I doubt it is possible now, however. Porsche requires 6 months for PTS, and the new platform Boxster will most likely be in production by then.
that GT3RS Greyblack/White Gold color scheme? i've seen pics of it & it looks awesome!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:53 AM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

They told me no they can't do PTS. But they did just tell me they do have 1 allocation available.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Mile2424: I see you didn't have to order since you picked one from inventory. Good for you. We heard that PTS was going to be impossible so I am not surprised the negative response to your request. But if what the dealer told you is true about his additional 'allocation', it means that production of Spyders is continuing for the fall, perhaps into early winter. Wonder when they will stop? Perhaps when they announce the Cayman CS/R. Does anyone else here on this forum has a sure allocation for a Spyder later this year??? z356
Old 09-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
Mile2424: I see you didn't have to order since you picked one from inventory. Good for you. We heard that PTS was going to be impossible so I am not surprised the negative response to your request. But if what the dealer told you is true about his additional 'allocation', it means that production of Spyders is continuing for the fall, perhaps into early winter. Wonder when they will stop? Perhaps when they announce the Cayman CS/R. Does anyone else here on this forum has a sure allocation for a Spyder later this year??? z356
I've heard from a dealer in Louisianna that Porsche will be building the spiders through winter 2011 for early spring delivery. I don't have anything to back it up, just a statement from a very confident sales guy that they would definitely be building them and that he intended to purchase one.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:02 AM
russdc
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a december build/jan delivery from the Champion Porsche on order.

Quick Reply: Paint to sample on a Boxster Spyder?