Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder Care

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 02:22 PM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Spyder Care

I looked at Concourse and car care for about an hour, and also looked at www.detailersdomain.com, but I'd like to know what you Spyder owners (and other as applicable) are using on your cars.

This is my first Porsche, and while I have two other cars, I want to be very specific/careful regarding what I use for the Porsche. I will be in a ton of sun with the top off. The car is garaged. I have been cleaning it after each use.

With motorcycles (garaged) the care suggestion is easy, but with cars there seems to be much debate. On all of my motorcycles regardless of make, Honda polish (from outside of California) is what you use when you don't need to wash the bike, on both plastics and metal. It's a spray on wipe off type polish.

This is what I'm looking for:
1. Spray on polish/cleaner for the outside (Meguiar's makes one, but is it the best?). A Honda Polish for my car.
2. Leather interior protectant
3. Alcantara protectant
4. Interior (plastics/vinyl) Protectant - The 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium will keep the finish matte which is what I want. Is there something better?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Not a Spyder owner yet but I have tons of experience detailing cars. I will post some answers later this evening.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:11 PM
pcw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well IMO, I use a good chammy and micro fiber towels. I use a good wash to clean the car but not strip off the wax. Since all of my cars are new when I buy them, I really never get to the point of oxidation. I use a good spray wax, I like to also wax while I dry, saves a step to not have to wax the car as well. I have used Meguiar's and I just got a bottle of Mother's FX, it's a synwax but have not used it yet. For the interior I use Lexol spray or Adams leather conditioner, both have work well for me in the past and keeps the leather nice and soft. Look for a conditioner that has UV protection, especially for convertibles, not sure if Lexol does, pretty sure Adam's has it.

The Spyder is not my daily driver so it spends most of the time in the garage under a cover. This is what I have done for years and all my cars look like they are off the showroom.

pcw
Old 08-02-2010, 04:27 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Congrats again on your new acquisition! Great first P car.

I find the Spyder hard to keep clean (it is my DD) . . . seems to attract dirt easily . . . and the Spyder wheels are a PITA to clean (so many nooks and crannies).

1. The Meguiar's spray is quite good. For washing, polishing and waxing, I recommend the P21S products -- www.p21s.com

2. For leather and plastic, the Lexol products are excellent.

3. Be careful with Alcantara -- general maintenance/cleaning instructions can be found here -- http://www.alcantara.com/en_US/exper...tenzione.shtml
Old 08-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Definitely keep the leather and interior vinyl cleaned and conditioned. With the top off it will see much more dust/dirt and UV than a hard top or even a convertible with electric top. My favorite Vinyl products are Griots Garage Vinyl/Rubber or 303 Aerospace. 303 provides a matte finish and has UV protection. Griots has a slightly satin finish and also has UV protection.

For leather I use Leathermasters Strong Cleaner and Vital Conditioner. The Strong cleaner will work best if combined with a application sponge and a brush to remove any stains such as Sunscreen, food, dirt, oils etc. The Vital Conditioner can be applied with a sponge and dries to a natural finish. I use this combo on our DD's and the GT and will use it on the Spyder when I get one.

For the exterior I would wax every 60 days using whatever you like. I personally prefer high end carnauba's like P21S or Pinnacle Souveran. Two thin coats are better than one thick one.

Wash the car when you can and use a Spray Wax to keep maintain the base wax. I just started using Meguiars Ultimate Spray wax and it works really well. I like spraying it on the car while its still a little wet, it makes drying easier and leaves a nice glossy finish. It also works well on the wheels and makes future cleanup easier if you're like me and wipe your wheels clean regularly.

The key to keeping a car scratch/swirl free is proper tools. Buy a really nice wool mitt and a grit guard bucket. Get some good Microfiber towels for waxing and drying.

Enjoy!
Old 08-03-2010, 01:13 PM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Excellent responses. Thank you everyone (especially Marine Blue).
Old 08-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How about products for cleaning/protecting the removable top? Would folks recommend the same soap and microfiber cloth that I'm using on the bodywork? Also, the Spyder Operating Manual says that in heavy rain drops could form. I was thinking of using 303 Aerospace protectant on the top. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:33 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 936 Posts

BTW... Take care of that top. I went to the dealer for some parts yesterday and inquired about how much the roof would cost if I replaced it and they stated that the sunshield is $2500 and the weather protector is $1300. It was more than I was expecting considering what it is.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Dig-It
Advanced

I would also be careful around the side stripes with microfiber towels. You don't want to accidentally lift one of the many corners of the graphic. I have another car with a similar style of side stripes and have been warned by fellow owners who have had that headache.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't use Microfiber on the top, it will leave lint. If you need to wash it you'll need to use a brush. Since I don't have any experience with convertible tops yet I won't make any suggestions but I do believe that 303 makes something for convertibles which might be worth investigating.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:48 PM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

303 makes a top cleaner and protectant.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:35 AM
Thomas42
Instructor

I'm a fan of Zaino. Gets lovelier and deeper with each application. Have not done the new Spyder in Zaino yet, though.

Porsche makes a top care product, but I don't know anything about it yet.

Quick Reply: Spyder Care