Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder Sports Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010 | 11:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I suspect the PSE operating conditions are the same on the Carreras (997). They are mandated by Swiss noise authorities to keep them quieter from 28 to 47 mph.
Old 08-11-2010 | 05:00 PM
pcw
Instructor

When I first order my Spyder I did not option the PSE. After I came home from the dealer and starting watching/listening video on youtube of the PSE on other Porsche, I called my dealer back and had it added before the order was locked. Glad I did, it sounds very nice. I'm still in awe every time I put the car on my lift and see the quality of not only the exhaust but the entire undercarriage of the car, top notch.

pcw
Old 08-11-2010 | 05:34 PM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

After two weeks with my Spyder equipped with PSE, it is a definite must have. My GF calls it the "a$$hole button". When it's pressed, the exhaust note does not get quieter between 28 and 47, or any other low speed range. The valve stays open. I haven't done the test with the PSE not switched on, with the Sport button on. With only the Sport button pressed, it may be quieter.......I'll do a test when I'm back near the car in a few weeks.

That is truly the brilliance of the OEM set-up, two separate buttons for the PSE and Sport. When I'm not ripping up my back roads, but rather driving mellow, I can still hear the lovely exhaust while getting better fuel economy. I'm not sure how much better.... My drive to work is 11 miles of pure cornering bliss over a mountain (Sport/PSE), 5 miles of highway (none), 5 miles of city (PSE). My neighbors also appreciate not having loud exhaust early in the morning (every other vehicle I have is extremely loud with aftermarket full systems).

Short answer: for the first time in my life I would recommend OEM over aftermarket, even though/if it doesn't offer any performance benefit.
Old 08-11-2010 | 08:27 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I test drove the Spyder with PSE I didn't note a difference in sound at lower speeds. The sporty burble was there the entire time unless the button was pressed. It really is brilliant, it can be turned off to reduce unwanted attention and turned back on to enjoy the engine.
Old 08-11-2010 | 09:32 PM
batty
Instructor

I agree with TheKane on a few points; my Spyder has seperate Sport and PSE buttons, as did the other Spyder I test drove. I know this is a different arrangement than on the 997s where PSE was lumped together with the Sport button. Like, Kane I much prefer the separate buttons so you can configure your drive whichever way you want. Also, as a few have mentioned, I don't notice any dropout when I have the a$$hole buttone engaged, beautiful, sonorous exhaust wail all the way through the rev range regardless of speed. Nice!
Old 08-12-2010 | 12:20 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

You guys are driving me crazy! I think I need to order one in the morning curious... What are you guys paying for install?
Old 08-12-2010 | 02:42 AM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

I don't have my options list with me, but it was around $2,500 (give or take a few hundred).
Old 08-12-2010 | 11:34 AM
pcw
Instructor

Before I added mine to my order, I asked the dealer what was the cost, plus install if I added it after the car was built and shipped. She came back with the break down of 2200.00 for the PSE, 800.00 for the install, plus tax. It was like 600.00 cheaper to have it (2500.00 option) installed at the factory.

pcw

Last edited by pcw; 08-12-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-12-2010 | 11:57 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

I'm going to call the dealer today to get pricing. Suncoast sells the exhaust for $2100, but freight is $300 to Oregon. The good thing I have going for me is that Oregon has no sales tax... So install will be cheaper than most. (knocks on wood). Also if I order dealer direct, shipping cost aren't added.

I'll be keeping the stock black tips too for two reasons... One, it hides the soot more. Two, my wife won't notice it.
Old 08-12-2010 | 12:15 PM
pcw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cayman
I'm going to call the dealer today to get pricing. Suncoast sells the exhaust for $2100, but freight is $300 to Oregon. The good thing I have going for me is that Oregon has no sales tax... So install will be cheaper than most. (knocks on wood). Also if I order dealer direct, shipping cost aren't added.

I'll be keeping the stock black tips too for two reasons... One, it hides the soot more. Two, my wife won't notice it.
LOL, when I added the TBE to my STI, my wife stated, has the car always been that loud? I came clean a month later

pcw
Old 08-12-2010 | 02:32 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Ok... so maybe the dealer isn't cheaper... They quoted me $2607 for parts... Then $585-600 for labor (4.5 Hours)... Maybe I'll order from Suncoast then have dealer install after all. I'm looking at about $3000 that route.
Old 08-12-2010 | 03:05 PM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Cayman - Make sure you get it installed as a separate button. The button has a picture of two little exhaust tips (kind of looks like goggles). It might be extra to have it separate from the Sport button, but obviously we think it's worth it.

PCW - They didn't make an STI the way I wanted it in 2007, so I built my own (well, LIC Motorsports did it for me), and my GF asked me if it could be louder AFTER the full system was installed. I told her we'd be kicked out of the neighborhood.
Old 08-12-2010 | 04:08 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheKane
Cayman - Make sure you get it installed as a separate button. The button has a picture of two little exhaust tips (kind of looks like goggles). It might be extra to have it separate from the Sport button, but obviously we think it's worth it.
I don't have SC, it will be separate no matter what.
Old 08-12-2010 | 05:40 PM
pcw
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheKane

PCW - They didn't make an STI the way I wanted it in 2007, so I built my own (well, LIC Motorsports did it for me), and my GF asked me if it could be louder AFTER the full system was installed. I told her we'd be kicked out of the neighborhood.
TheKane- Yes LIC Motorsports does nice work, I have talked to them a few times. I used a guy a little closer to me in Fairfield, Ed from EQ Tuning, his tunes are awesome, he really got the STI dialed in for me. It's running now the way it should have come from the factory

pcw
Old 08-16-2010 | 08:19 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cayman
Ok... so maybe the dealer isn't cheaper... They quoted me $2607 for parts... Then $585-600 for labor (4.5 Hours)... Maybe I'll order from Suncoast then have dealer install after all. I'm looking at about $3000 that route.
4.5 hours for install? That is REALLY fast given that you have to remove the center console to install the button... I think that 6 hours is more like it... at what my dealer charges, that would be very close to a grand.

Quick Reply: Spyder Sports Exhaust