Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

New Boxster Spyder best handling P-Car ever?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 01:52 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i ran my cayman, with just roll bar harness and pagid, 1:54 in 2006 (RA1's), the spyder has less wt, more hp and as good a tire as RA1 off showroom floor. assuming i improved a bit over the years, probably can do 1:52. i am not much faster in 6gt3. and keep in mind that most ppl drive harder in box or cay as they are more balanced.
At the BMW race school last year where they let us act as field fillers/harassers to show the students what passing was all about, I was consistently around 1:55 with the RSA. That's some old Bilsteins and Eibach lowering springs mounted to RA1's on a 140K car that was over 3200 lbs with me in it. The lone time I brought the yellow car to Sears, actually with those same RA1's, I worked down to mid 1:48's. I have a hard time believing the GT3, outside of a purely as-delivered showroom stock unit, would be that far off pace.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:21 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Best handling Porsche"- that is just a headline to sell magazines.

My 2 cents, if this was a race car, taking seconds off laps would be very important.

But in a street car, "best handling car" means nothing. Is it the car who's handling YOU most prefer? That it is important. Imperical statements for street cars, where there are no checkered flags, mean a hell of a lot less if anything at all, besides compensation for other perceived shortcomings.

Do you prefer the traditional weight distribution of the 911, and how that affects it's handling? Does this car make you smile more than a Carrera, Cayman or GT variant?

It amazes me the lengths that some people go to justifying that they like this car. Like the statement from a magazine "makes it ok" to drive a Boxster.

Ya like it? Vote with your wallet and drive it.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Why don't you get hold of one, take it on your favorite winding road, and then tell us what you DON'T like about the handling, rather than complaining about everybody else's enthusiasm for the car. It is very hard to argue with the Spyder's steering, grip, balance, and ride.

Is the car perfect? Hardly. But for a street car, the suspension set-up is hard to fault. And, yes, I did vote with my wallet.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:04 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
And, yes, I did vote with my wallet.
As did I!
Old 08-27-2010, 11:17 AM
pcw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said Alan !!!
Old 08-27-2010, 12:00 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Why don't you get hold of one, take it on your favorite winding road, and then tell us what you DON'T like about the handling, rather than complaining about everybody else's enthusiasm for the car. It is very hard to argue with the Spyder's steering, grip, balance, and ride.

Is the car perfect? Hardly. But for a street car, the suspension set-up is hard to fault. And, yes, I did vote with my wallet.
Maybe you did not understand me. I agree with you. I voted with my wallet too.

That was aimed at folks that scoffed at Boxster's, but now all of sudden... it is ok to think it is great.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,647 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
At the BMW race school last year where they let us act as field fillers/harassers to show the students what passing was all about, I was consistently around 1:55 with the RSA. That's some old Bilsteins and Eibach lowering springs mounted to RA1's on a 140K car that was over 3200 lbs with me in it. The lone time I brought the yellow car to Sears, actually with those same RA1's, I worked down to mid 1:48's. I have a hard time believing the GT3, outside of a purely as-delivered showroom stock unit, would be that far off pace.
WOW 1:48 in zonker that's pretty amazing.
jeff R's fastest in a stock 6gt3 with fresh hoosier R6 and 4.0 ring and pinion was 1:47. and he's probably one of the fastest street GT3 beside tony c.

his time at LS was approx 1:37
Old 08-28-2010, 02:22 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBat
Maybe you did not understand me. I agree with you.
I guess I didn't. Never mind then!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What size sways did you like? I'm looking at changing the rear swaybar to dial out the push.

Quick Reply: New Boxster Spyder best handling P-Car ever?