Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

New Boxster Spyder best handling P-Car ever?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 05:54 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Boxster Spyder best handling P-Car ever?

I just read a recent one page C & D article that raved about the new Spyder as the best handling car (road) porsche has ever built. But I have to wonder how it can be better than a Cayman S, which should have less body flex than the Spyder.

Aside from the Spyders weight reduction and lowered ride height, I am curious what the difference in spring rates are and if there is a difference in sway bar size in the Spyder vs the 987 for the handling to be that superior. Has anyone come across these specs?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

There was an article in Excellence recently (who had the same sentiment as C&D regarding handling) comparing the Spyder to the Cayman S on track.

The Cayman has less body flex, but is ~200lbs. heavier, with most of that up high. That weight reduction and lowered center of gravity, along with wider track, allows for a unique suspension set-up (I don't know the specifics) and lower spec'd tire pressures. Which gives it an unusual combination of very little body roll, as well as compliance for both tire contact and ride comfort, resulting in stellar grip.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:27 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still tuning my Spyder suspension (aftermarket sway bars) and am running times at Thunderhill within 1 second of my 2010 GT3RS.

2:06 vs 2:07 450 hp vs 320hp
Old 06-23-2010, 09:30 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

How is it at autocross compared to the GT3RS?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
...running times at Thunderhill within 1 second of my 2010 GT3RS.
With which tires on the Spyder?
Old 06-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by renvagn
I just read a recent one page C & D article that raved about the new Spyder as the best handling car (road) porsche has ever built. But I have to wonder how it can be better than a Cayman S, which should have less body flex than the Spyder.

Aside from the Spyders weight reduction and lowered ride height, I am curious what the difference in spring rates are and if there is a difference in sway bar size in the Spyder vs the 987 for the handling to be that superior. Has anyone come across these specs?
I happen to have a copy of the Excellence which explains a few of the Spyder's differences.

20mm lower than PASM equipped Boxster
increased spring stiffness 10% front and 30% rear
stiffer front anti-roll bar, same rear
changes to the damping, reduced rebound and increased compression
doesn't mention anything about tire pressures but I do believe they were revised.

I am mustering up as much restraint as possible right now. I'm on the edge of putting the GT up for sale to buy one of these but I really don't want to sell the 928.

Need to wait about a year before I can afford to buy one and keep the 928.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:26 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Stock for stock, no doubt the newer cars are able to function as phenomenal road cars while offering pretty unbelievable handling. But handling/grip is so tire dependent. Case in point--what's "better" handling head-to-head at the track, a Cayman S with oversized street rubber or my 125K '97 C4S with some 6 year old Hoosiers and the dead original shocks and a ~180lb passenger? No problem running ~2:08 at Thunderhill on the full track for both cars. Was actually quite a "race" for a whole session. Did I need to be spot on? No doubt. Does my car smoothly soak up the bumps on the ride home? For the most part. But I've got a ~$30K car to the Cayman S at $55-60-70K.

Now if you want to get into basic suspension mods, on equal tires, my '95 993 can comfortably stay ahead of a stock 997.1 GT3RS. Not on acceleration. But that's ~2:01 laps, again Thunderhill.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
20mm lower than PASM equipped Boxster
increased spring stiffness 10% front and 30% rear
stiffer front anti-roll bar, same rear
changes to the damping, reduced rebound and increased compression
In addition to the lower tire pressures on the Spyder, it also has wider wheels with different offsets for wider track, and different alignment spec's with more negative camber.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:38 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by sjfehr
How is it at autocross compared to the GT3RS?
Is there anyone that autocrosses a GT3RS? I don't think that car would be the best tool for the job. I would think a Spyder would kill a GT3RS in an autocross?

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
With which tires on the Spyder?
Pirelli Trofeo on Spyder running at 33psi hot (27 cold) w/nitrogen, Pirelli Corsa System on RS.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
In addition to the lower tire pressures on the Spyder, it also has wider wheels with different offsets for wider track, and different alignment spec's with more negative camber.
Correct.

And it needs way more camber than stock if you are going to maximize grip and tire wear. My front seems good at -2.5 but rear was not enough at -1.7 and am bumping that up to -2.2 this morning.

You need GT3 LCA's to get that front camber, no parts needed to get the rear camber.

Track day tomorrow, will post results of new spec.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:40 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by race911
Stock for stock, no doubt the newer cars are able to function as phenomenal road cars while offering pretty unbelievable handling. But handling/grip is so tire dependent.

Now if you want to get into basic suspension mods, on equal tires, my '95 993 can comfortably stay ahead of a stock 997.1 GT3RS. Not on acceleration. But that's ~2:01 laps, again Thunderhill.
2:01 is hauling the groceries at TH. I would love to see a video of your line?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:57 AM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the car is way up there... Our shop car is entered into the Grassroots UTCC in July, excited to see what times we turn.

No turbo at that point, just suspension tuning.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

A great mid engine car will usually beat a front engine or even a rear engine car with the same driver. They need to give their mid engine chassis cars a GT engine - that would be something.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:02 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Is the Spyder the best handling Porsche ever? I think so. Does it handle better than my GT3RS? Yes.

In addition to C&D, the following article reaches the same conclusion: http://jalopnik.com/5549796/2011-por...er-first-drive

Excellence mag summed up the suspension mods quite well . . . kudos to Maurice van de Weerd for delivering the goods. http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues...s/spyder-sense
Old 06-24-2010, 08:15 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 610 Posts

Yes*

*Based on my experiences, I think so. But when you talk about "best," things can get murky. Carrera GT is brilliant and more rewarding, but also far friskier/riskier. That said, I've driven some PHENOMENAL-handling and deeply, deeply rewarding 911s over the years (some factory, some tuned). But if the question is handling pure and simple, I think the Boxster Spyder just may be the one. Which just gave me an idea for a story...

Thanks!

pete

P.S. And, yes, the Cayman might have a stiffer structure, but its suspension tuning is nowhere near as good for purpose as the Spyder. Now, a Cayman with Spyder-style setup....
Old 06-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
A great mid engine car will usually beat a front engine or even a rear engine car with the same driver. They need to give their mid engine chassis cars a GT engine - that would be something.
They did but it costs too much.

........CGT

Quick Reply: New Boxster Spyder best handling P-Car ever?