Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder track pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010 | 11:12 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Default Spyder track pads

Hi all,
I was looking at buying track pads for my Spyder and was told that front pads on the Spyder are different to regular Carrera/Boxster S/Cayman S pads but that the rears are the same as the Cayman S.
Anyone know more about this? I cannot imagine that Porsche changed the caliper and disc on the Spyder... but I'd like confirmation.
TIA
JM
Old 05-19-2010 | 03:50 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
Hi all,
I was looking at buying track pads for my Spyder and was told that front pads on the Spyder are different to regular Carrera/Boxster S/Cayman S pads but that the rears are the same as the Cayman S.
Anyone know more about this? I cannot imagine that Porsche changed the caliper and disc on the Spyder... but I'd like confirmation.
TIA
JM
PCCB? Or no?
Old 05-19-2010 | 04:21 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
PCCB? Or no?
regular, no PCCB
Old 05-24-2010 | 03:37 PM
RockyBottom
2nd Gear

Hi,

The pads for the Spyder are exactly the same size as those used on the Boxster S. Technically, the front pad is a different part number but that is because Porsche specifies a different compound from Pagid the application.

Don Weaver-EBS Co.
don@ebsracing.com
Old 05-24-2010 | 11:23 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RockyBottom
Hi,

The pads for the Spyder are exactly the same size as those used on the Boxster S. Technically, the front pad is a different part number but that is because Porsche specifies a different compound from Pagid the application.

Don Weaver-EBS Co.
don@ebsracing.com
What do you know about the compound? Is it closer to a Pagid Sports/Orange than the street pads? I surmise that there is a reason why they cost twice as much...
I expect to find out when I go to the track soon but it would be great to know for sure...
Old 05-25-2010 | 12:31 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

I don't know much about Boxsters/Caymans but I can tell you that I got driven around the track in a new
Spyder by one of the Porsche Driver's School instructors and I about crapped my pants at the car's braking capability. I asked him if the car had been modified as it was being used exclusively to cart potential buyers around tracks over and over again. He said car was bone stock and running stock pads and I can confirm street tires. Based on my experience, I think the stock pads are pretty good.
Old 05-25-2010 | 09:26 AM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Pad material will make a world of difference. If you are new to the track pagid orange should make you very happy. If your upper run group you may like the grater initial torque of the blacks better. If your an instructor and this is a track dedicated car, contact my brake supplier, Andie Lin at Cobalt Friction. Feel free to mention my name. Good luck.
Mark Fox, DC
Old 05-26-2010 | 07:28 PM
RockyBottom
2nd Gear

What I meant about the compound is the Factory compound. I figured that was why there is some confusion over the pads. You can run any of the 987 S pads; Pagid, Porterfield, etc. Fortunately this is on a car running steel rotors so the sky is the limit on compound selection.

Don Weaver-EBS Co.
don@ebsracing.com
Old 06-02-2010 | 02:57 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Too add to the confusion, Holbert's parts department tells me the box S pad is the same as the Spyder, same price $189.00 for metallic, but a different part # , which they can't give out.

Now additionally you can get a stock ceramic upgrade pad for the spyder for $ 399.00, but the parts guy couldn't elaborate on performance characteristics in comparison to Pagid Orange or Blacks.

Are are the new spyder front calipers 4 or 6 pot.
Old 06-08-2010 | 04:30 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Well, I get in the pads that fit the Spyder - in 2 days. Pagid Yellows, they WILL be more capable that what is in there now.

Should be - they are a track pad, not a multi-purpose pad.

Quick Reply: Spyder track pads