Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

2011 Spyder with bucket seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 01:31 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2011 Spyder with bucket seats

Has anyone seen a Spyder with bucket seats? My dealer cannot find one anywhere in the system... and I'm loathe to just take a sport seats version.
JM
Old 04-08-2010, 02:03 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
Has anyone seen a Spyder with bucket seats? My dealer cannot find one anywhere in the system... and I'm loathe to just take a sport seats version.
JM
Most dealers were too chicken to order them due to the limited adjustability and narrow width. I ordered them for my Spyder.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:26 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cayman
Most dealers were too chicken to order them due to the limited adjustability and narrow width. I ordered them for my Spyder.
I so want them... but the cars I've found don't have them... dealers are saying that no one will buy a car with them unless they were specced for a specific customer... not sure I want to wait! Been looking at after market seats for the track... Doesn't seem like a good option!
JM
Old 04-08-2010, 05:04 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Same thing happened with the latest GT3...dealers were afraid of targeting too focused a market by ordering the sport buckets, and instead alienated many potential customers (many cars with 'comfort' options are sitting on lots).

The sport bucket seats are available from the parts department, but they are not cheap. However, if you are buying a $6X,XXX car from them, perhaps a deal can be struck...
Old 04-08-2010, 09:15 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I so want them... but the cars I've found don't have them... dealers are saying that no one will buy a car with them unless they were specced for a specific customer... not sure I want to wait! Been looking at after market seats for the track... Doesn't seem like a good option!
JM
Wait for what? Allocations are all gone.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:44 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JM
I'll post pics of my buckets in about two weeks...

I am astounded most are NOT specced with the sport buckets? WTF? This thing is going to be a little track monster. Got to have sport buckets.

Dear god what has our world come to? What a bunch of ******...

Oh- Jean-Marc, if you want to buy from an Ohio dealer, I think N Olmsted still has one open allocation. Ask for Chris Sanner.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:18 AM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet that they will be all sold quickly. If you want one I'd grab one even if they dont have the sport buckets. You can always add that later. Remember there will be no more spyders built.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:55 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hakaida702
I bet that they will be all sold quickly. If you want one I'd grab one even if they dont have the sport buckets. You can always add that later. Remember there will be no more spyders built.
There will be no more Spyders built? It's not a limited production car is it?
JM
Old 04-09-2010, 11:13 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 925 Posts

There will be no more Spyders built? It's not a limited production car is it?
JM
Dealers correct me if I'm wrong on this...

Porsche stated that the Spyder is not a "Limited Edition" and that they will build as many as they can sell.

Traditional Porsche a "Limited Edition" cars have been typically a set limited production number, predetermined color and interior with a few limited options available.

Right after Porsche released the Spyder, Porsche asked each dealer how many they could sell... Based on that and the dealers status, allocation was determined. So it wasn't a limited run by Porsche, but based off what the dealers requested. Dealers were apparently told that the Spyder is a 2011 MY only. When you factor that and the fact that all Allocations have already been set for the rest of the 2011 MY.... It's somewhat of a limited production car. The term "you snooze you loose" comes to mind. Think of it like a GT3... not a limited edition, but it's limited by initial demand and isn't sold every year. As mentioned earlier a few dealers have a couple open allocations that might be modifiable, but the window for changes is super tight if at all at this point.

I've been waiting since debut (November 5th), when I put a deposit down on one. Actual order was accepted and locked mid December. It was a March Build, which was delayed a couple times. My Spyder is built but has been Quality Control for over a week now. So there's either something wrong with my car or the order system has a delay.

Quick Reply: 2011 Spyder with bucket seats