Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Who is going to add back the deletes to their Spyders?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:34 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by BSL
Nope, still running them through production.
I think he means build allocations not actual production. No more allocations will be assigned to dealers.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I double checked and there are some changable build slots left, no new ones will be added, sorry bout that bad tid bit of info. This is NOT a regular production car there are no plans currently for another MY production on this spyder and they generally only do 1 year runs on these types of special models.

I'll tell you the top is cool but its not a car for cold or nasty weather and its a PITA to put up and down.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:42 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Trader!
I appreciate the info!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 07:23 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
If 90% of buyers looking at an in-stock car, or used one, will want AC and Radio and a buyer defaulted on an order leaving you with a car without, then you as the dealer are stuck with only $500 or $1k in deposit to deal with it.

Heat and humidity would require AC in any car where I live. Summer is brutally humid.

The whole Spyder concept was interesting to me. Love some of the ideas, not so much some of the others. Give me the light doors and cool retro pulls, sport tuned non-PASM suspension is great, get rid of power assisted stuff (ie: seats), give me more power and torque, but keep the radio and AC in the car as well as the regular top (though maybe make it manually operated instead of power). The write up in Excellence was telling - that the top ont he Spyder may prove to be an issue with owners as they start to live with it. So if you only cut the weight savings in half, that's still fantastic, yet you have a car that's easy to live with every day.
The top was the only reason why I didn't pull the trigger on one. If there's no more allocations then that sucks. I wish there would've been six more months of a window to order one. I wanted to get impressions from the first group of owners on how they like it after a month or so and how the top is for them. I guess I'll be going back to my original choice of a C2S which has been a hard search to find one that has what I want unless I order one.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:36 PM
hakaida702
Racer

I'm really sick that I waited and now there's no more allocations. But maybe in the long run it will turn out to be the smart thing to have done. If Porsche said that it was going to be a limited edition, maybe I would've thrown caution to the wind and just gone for it. If the summer heat here wasn't so brutal I know I would've gone for it. I just wanted to make sure that the a/c would be strong enough to keep the cabin cool enough during 110 degrees vegas summers. I loved everything about the spyder except for the top. The top just raised too many concerns for me and I didn't want to regret it if it didn't work out for me. Now I regret waiting. I hope that the owners enjoy it. It's the most beautiful Porsche in some time and it really got me going even though I am not a topless car kind of guy. It was so beautiful that I started lusting for it.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:14 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

There are no "new" allocations there are still changable build slots around. Let me know if you need one
Old 03-21-2010, 09:49 AM
goinpostol
Track Day

I have one modifiable slot available, June production if memory serves me correctly. Hope this doesn't violate any policies, just trying to help out anyone who wants one.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:30 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Trader220
I double checked and there are some changable build slots left, no new ones will be added, sorry bout that bad tid bit of info. This is NOT a regular production car there are no plans currently for another MY production on this spyder and they generally only do 1 year runs on these types of special models.

I'll tell you the top is cool but its not a car for cold or nasty weather and its a PITA to put up and down.
Interesting to hear that. The info I have been told is that if there is demand for one, it will be built.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

I spoke with our rep from PCNA and all of the build slots are assigned and there wont be any more. There are a handful of build slots still available
Old 03-22-2010, 12:56 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

That is very interesting -- Porsche has said that unlike previous *special* edition Boxsters (e.g., the RS 60 Spyder), the Boxster Spyder is not a limited edition and Porsche will build as many as customers demand. Porsche also guessed that Boxster Spyders will represent about 10% of total Boxster sales. I wonder if something has changed? Or, perhaps the remaining MY 2011 allocations haven't yet been doled out to the dealers?
Old 03-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

All of the build slots have been dolled out. Hey guess what. Porsche let us know they cant be test drvien or sold as of yet too. There is a paperwork snafu with the federal govt.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:43 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by zellamsee
That is very interesting -- Porsche has said that unlike previous *special* edition Boxsters (e.g., the RS 60 Spyder), the Boxster Spyder is not a limited edition and Porsche will build as many as customers demand. Porsche also guessed that Boxster Spyders will represent about 10% of total Boxster sales. I wonder if something has changed? Or, perhaps the remaining MY 2011 allocations haven't yet been doled out to the dealers?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how the Spyder process is working. Porsche asked each dealer how many Spyder's they could sell for the MY. Based on this, allocations were determined for the whole MY production. Before they can get a read on customer demand Allocation was already set based dealer projections. Porsche's allocation window has closed and will not be adding any more as parts were built based off the dealer projections. According to Porsche's definition this is NOT a special edition. Which is true, as with SE's Porsche determines the color, most options and actual production numbers. View the Spyder as a special model like the GT3... they aren't made every year and production is limited by dealer projections.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:45 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Trader220
All of the build slots have been dolled out. Hey guess what. Porsche let us know they cant be test drvien or sold as of yet too. There is a paperwork snafu with the federal govt.
I bet it's because of the Roof Recall that has been issued.

Quick Reply: Who is going to add back the deletes to their Spyders?