Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Who is going to add back the deletes to their Spyders?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 04:54 PM
street
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Who is going to add back the deletes to their Spyders?

Hi there, I ran a search, but found no topic for this. So forgive me if topic has been rehashed elsewhere.

If you are ordering/have ordered, are you adding back the radio delete? Are you ordering (at exra cost) A/C+climate control?

I'm curious because despite the "purist" focus of this 987, seems like the radio is a must. I'm not so sure of the A/C. I have another open car and only turn the A/C a couple times a year just to brush off the cobwebs.

BTW, the Porsche website configurator still doesn't show the lithium battery option.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

As a general observation on this forum and others, it seems most buyers are loading these cars up with radio and A/C.

Depending on the weight of the driver, it seems that a light weight person like me (150+) in a Boxster S will be on par with the average Boxster Spyder & driver.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:57 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 925 Posts

I ordered mine with both deletes!
Old 03-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

I ordered the radio. Did not opt for AC. The dealer was VERY reluctant to allow this spec; probably wouldn't have allowed it had I not ordered cars from them previously.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:37 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was to order one, I would get both. I like to listen to sports talk radio and sometimes music on long drives or when stuck in traffic. And I would need a/c as I live in Las Vegas.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Dig-It
Advanced

Added both.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I plan to order both.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I believe the production run on the Spyders is over. Why in the world would a dealer not let you order it without AC ? I find that hard to believe.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:30 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If 90% of buyers looking at an in-stock car, or used one, will want AC and Radio and a buyer defaulted on an order leaving you with a car without, then you as the dealer are stuck with only $500 or $1k in deposit to deal with it.

Heat and humidity would require AC in any car where I live. Summer is brutally humid.

The whole Spyder concept was interesting to me. Love some of the ideas, not so much some of the others. Give me the light doors and cool retro pulls, sport tuned non-PASM suspension is great, get rid of power assisted stuff (ie: seats), give me more power and torque, but keep the radio and AC in the car as well as the regular top (though maybe make it manually operated instead of power). The write up in Excellence was telling - that the top ont he Spyder may prove to be an issue with owners as they start to live with it. So if you only cut the weight savings in half, that's still fantastic, yet you have a car that's easy to live with every day.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:37 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Trader220
I believe the production run on the Spyders is over.
Based on what info?
Old 03-19-2010, 04:39 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

He's a Porsche dealer, I would hope he would know whether it is or is not in production... Maybe the run is over for the current model year and there will be more to come? Hard to imagine it just came out and that's it, after all of the unique parts and pieces being created.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:44 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
He's a Porsche dealer, I would hope he would know whether it is or is not in production... Maybe the run is over for the current model year and there will be more to come? Hard to imagine it just came out and that's it, after all of the unique parts and pieces being created.
Oh... didn't know that. Trader, could you clarify... production done for the MY year (2011) or done for good?
Old 03-19-2010, 05:36 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read your posts and it's like a brother from a different mother.

Couldn't have said it better.

+1

PS- Spec the LiON battery and leave the top at home on a drive, and voila' there is another -50lbs while keeping the creature comforts. A beautiful thing.

Originally Posted by RonCT
If 90% of buyers looking at an in-stock car, or used one, will want AC and Radio and a buyer defaulted on an order leaving you with a car without, then you as the dealer are stuck with only $500 or $1k in deposit to deal with it.

Heat and humidity would require AC in any car where I live. Summer is brutally humid.

The whole Spyder concept was interesting to me. Love some of the ideas, not so much some of the others. Give me the light doors and cool retro pulls, sport tuned non-PASM suspension is great, get rid of power assisted stuff (ie: seats), give me more power and torque, but keep the radio and AC in the car as well as the regular top (though maybe make it manually operated instead of power). The write up in Excellence was telling - that the top ont he Spyder may prove to be an issue with owners as they start to live with it. So if you only cut the weight savings in half, that's still fantastic, yet you have a car that's easy to live with every day.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:59 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

That Lion battery isn't a good choice in the northeast. Doesn't work well when it gets cold. And how much were they asking? There are some great race batteries (Optima, Braille, etc.) that are light and have good cold cranking amps and don't cost an arm and a leg.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:13 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Trader220
I believe the production run on the Spyders is over.
Nope, still running them through production.

Quick Reply: Who is going to add back the deletes to their Spyders?