Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Porsche vs Numeric SS kit / GT3 LCA / Catted sport headers for '11 Boxster Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2024 | 03:26 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Default Porsche vs Numeric SS kit / GT3 LCA / Catted sport headers for '11 Boxster Spyder

All- I've searched for the answers, so please forgive me if these questions have been addressed-

1) Are the throws / shift feel similar between the Porsche and Numeric short shift kits (using factory shift cables)?

2) Do the GT3 lower control arms (with increased camber) lead to improved steering "feel" ie texture / feedback or is it more for greater turn-in / track performance? Is the difference from stock appreciable on the street?

3) Any preferences between Fabspeed vs Soul vs Cargraphic vs FVD, etc for sport headers with 200 cel cats?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-18-2024 | 10:55 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

OK, I'll bite.

1. No, the Numeric Shifter is super stiff and notchy, rifle bolt action. It's TOO stiff, IMO. I may in the near future be adding Numeric Cables to my GT3 shifter box.

2. No experience with GT3 control arms. The X73 suspension is the Spyder is sublime and needs nothing else, IMO, for my kind of driving (canyons, hill climbs...). More agressive wheel alignment for extra bite in the corners?

3) You forgot SOUL. No experience with any, other than IF I go this route, it will most likely be SOUL 200 cel headers.
Note: you can achieve a wonderful in the cabin race engine experience with Semi-solid engive mounts with waking up the neighbours.

That's all I have to say 'bout this.
The following users liked this post:
Fang911 (09-23-2024)
Old 09-19-2024 | 02:36 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Zeus993-

1) Thanks for the input- no way to really compare the Numeric vs OEM short shift kit- will be going with the latter. The gearshift is a bit imprecise / slightly spongy- would like some more direct / positive.

2) Agree with suspension is fantastic - particularly for spirited street driving and far better day-to-day than the 4RS or Spyder RS. Will be leaving this alone.

3) My bad- read about headers all yesterday evening. Will be calling SOUL today!
Old 09-19-2024 | 04:55 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

I I've got FVD 200 cell headers coming for my R, can report later which probably does you no good. FVD integrates all their bolt ones with their software tune so it all works together. I have used their exhaust and software on two 987s, it is IMO considerably nicer than the US vendors. It is also quite a bit more expensive.

I use the GT3 shifter and updated OEM cables in my R and the setup is very good. I've seen too many stories about Numeric. I had a notchy factory short throw shifter in my 991 Carrera T, meh. Prefer the smoother shifting 987.

Don't start with the control arms until you've driven the car a ways. Get a good alignment.
Fang911 (09-23-2024)
Old 09-19-2024 | 05:21 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

1. I would gradually make my way toward the harshest setup... go with the OEM GT3 shifter, then if that's not enough add the Numeric cables, then if that's not enough add the Numeric shifter. You'd be able to easily sell the OEM GT3 shifter if it's not enough. The Numeric stuff is high quality, but it's no-compromise and seems like people are constantly having to fidget with it to get the desired outcome. Not for me, the OEM unit is great IMO.

2. There's no reason to NOT get GT3 control arms. They simply add more adjustment so if you want your current factory camber, you'd be able to duplicate that with GT3 arms. I'm using them with an otherwise factory suspension and recommend them as the first upgrade one should do to the suspension on these cars. For me, the upgrade came down to reducing understeer as these cars are naturally engineered to understeer from the factory for safety reasons. Yes, increasing camber will help turn-in and reduce uneven tire wear if you track/autocross your car. As for feel/texture, that is super important to me personally (a major reason to go with a Porsche IMO) and I think the feedback is enhanced/increased since the inside edge of the tire is being leaned on more and that comes through the steering wheel slightly more. It emphasizes what would already be there with the factory camber settings.

3. All of them make great exhausts IMO and I also believe they all use HJS cats for their Sport headers. The cats are what you're paying for, so go quality there, then whoever has the best price.
Fang911 (09-23-2024)
Old 09-25-2024 | 08:43 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Agree with above, and would add a bit:

Shifter - Numeric is also much shorter than stock. If you're happy with the throw length, you can also look at the Function First kit, which replaces all the plastic bits in the stock assembly with metal and greatly improves feel / feedback. I love the Numeric in my R, and have had it in most of my cars, but find it too aggressive and overly stiff / notchy in my 3RS. I stayed stock + Function First there.

LCA - Not meaningful for street application. if you're keeping essentially stock alignment settings, I'd skip this. Primary reason / benefit is to add camber for more aggressive applications. That said, an LCA with spherical inner bushings (Tarrett, Elephant) will definitely change steering feel and precision. But will also add NVH.

Had all the exhaust brands over time, and can't say one is significantly better / different. Currently have SOUL catless headers and stock rear section and it's perfect for my tastes.
Fang911 (09-26-2024)
Old 09-27-2024 | 12:21 AM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input / advice. My priorities are the following (and in no particular order)-

1) Steering feel. Perhaps the two most "wow" moments I recall lurching from one car to the next over the last 30 yrs is experiencing the steering feel of the E36 M3 ('97 estoril blue) and then 15 yrs later in the '997.1 GT3- the latter of which is still my steering benchmark. The Evora GT is superb but doesn't quite have the granularity / heft of the GT3. I'm not going to track the 987 Spyder- so would probably keep the stock alignment settings but wouldn't mind a little more feedback- so perhaps the Elephant / Tarrett LCA's may accomplish this more than the GT3 LCA's- will have to investigate this.

2) Chassis / suspension- the E36 had a wonderfully tuned suspension for the street, as well as the E39 M5, E90 M3, and Evora's. The 997.1 GT3 was a bit (imo) too stiff for daily / frequent street driving, as is the 4RS. The X73 suspension of the boxster spyder is perfect for the street- even a little stiffer would be acceptable.

3) Gearshift- the 987 Spyder has a somewhat looser, more ? rubbery ? shift feel than the Evora, whereas the 997.1 GT3 was on the other end of the spectrum. It's been too long since driving an S2000, but the current Integra type S has a fabulous manual. Hopefully the OEM GT3 shifter will lead to a more mechanical, precise throw.

4) Exhaust- even with PSE under full load, the 987 Spyder is pretty quiet, especially compared to having a Sharkwerks bypass on the 997 and 991 GT3. Soul long-pipe catted headers are on their way- thanks for the rec!

5) Overall- oddly, the 4RS and Spyder RS have let me a bit cold- both are so capable and fast but also feel a little "sterile" and are dominated by the hero engine (altho the 4RS is unbelievable at the track). I've come to realize for my use case of mostly street driving, anything over 350-400 hp cannot be truly appreciated- it's more about driver interaction and the sense of a truly integrated, cohesive machine-

Last edited by Fang911; 09-27-2024 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-27-2024 | 11:13 AM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Once you get the headers fitted, an exhaust video would be very appreciated and likely get a ton of views ...there are many videos of the 987 factory PSE + catless race headers, but not for the 987 factory PSE + catted headers.

Your #5 above is what I think is already being realized and will become a more common viewpoint with time. There are already many Porsche drivers that have come back to the 987 Spyder and 987 Cayman R after driving newer GT4 and Spyder variants... there is just something special found in the earlier cars that is lacking in the newer, more capable machines.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zach L:
Fang911 (09-28-2024), jreifler (09-27-2024)
Old 09-27-2024 | 11:36 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zach L
Your #5 above is what I think is already being realized and will become a more common viewpoint with time. There are already many Porsche drivers that have come back to the 987 Spyder and 987 Cayman R after driving newer GT4 and Spyder variants... there is just something special found in the earlier cars that is lacking in the newer, more capable machines.
It me! Funny - I was hunting for an old email and found an exchange with a friend from a few years back when I had my GT4, lamenting that it was brilliant on track, but a bit unusable on street, and ended with "I'm sure I'll come back to the 987 platform at some point."
Fang911 (09-28-2024)
Old 09-28-2024 | 05:14 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jreifler
It me! Funny - I was hunting for an old email and found an exchange with a friend from a few years back when I had my GT4, lamenting that it was brilliant on track, but a bit unusable on street, and ended with "I'm sure I'll come back to the 987 platform at some point."
Yes, the 987 Spyder / R is a more delicate, feelsome machine than what has followed. It's not easily quantifiable but "you know it when you drive it".

[QUOTE=Zach L;19668709]Once you get the headers fitted, an exhaust video would be very appreciated and likely get a ton of views ...there are many videos of the 987 factory PSE + catless race headers, but not for the 987 factory PSE + catted headers.

Will post interior / exterior exhaust videos of the stock PSE before and after catted headers after I get them installed in 10-14 days-
Zeus993 (09-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Porsche vs Numeric SS kit / GT3 LCA / Catted sport headers for '11 Boxster Spyder