Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Someone Convince Me On Headers (Or Not)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 01:29 PM
Skid
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
Because unlike the 987.1 and many other cars, the 987.2 has all four cats in the exhaust manifolds, so a manifold/headers swap will make the biggest difference for sound/power.

I was in the same boat with my Cayman R. Go with high-flow headers (catless or 200-cell cats) and you will have all the howl you desire. With the factory PSE closed, my R is now slightly louder than it was previously with them open. The power is nice too.
Useful info, thanks.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:15 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid
Useful info, thanks.
If you were local I'd say let's meet up. With catless headers + PSE open, the car sounds at higher RPMs like a high-displacement sport bike (like a 'busa).
Old 06-07-2024, 12:27 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
If you were local I'd say let's meet up. With catless headers + PSE open, the car sounds at higher RPMs like a high-displacement sport bike (like a 'busa).
This is the setup I'll do as well. You on stock rear section ? Was wondering if the Fabspeed / Soul catless + rear section would be too much. Any clips of yours ?
Old 06-07-2024, 05:23 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jreifler
This is the setup I'll do as well. You on stock rear section ? Was wondering if the Fabspeed / Soul catless + rear section would be too much. Any clips of yours ?
Yes, factory-installed Cayman R PSE rear section. No clips. I need to that, but the only mic I have is the one on my phone... if anyone has a recommendation for an external mic to use for exhaust recordings.
Old 06-28-2024, 10:59 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Got my system all set up. This is what Soul catless headers with stock PSE rear section sounds like. Softronic tune as well, but immaterial for sound.

I'm super pleased with the balance. Under 4k at measured throttle, it is perfectly tame. Howls like a sport bike through the higher revs. I have PSE permanently unplugged. I thought I might need an open / closed option, so bought a Carnewal controller, but now that it's installed I don't see a need. Will use that on my insanely loud 7RS instead.

Old 06-28-2024, 11:07 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 145 Posts

Got my system all set up. This is what Soul catless headers with stock PSE rear section sounds like. Softronic tune as well, but immaterial for sound.

I'm super pleased with the balance. Under 4k at measured throttle, it is perfectly tame. Howls like a sport bike through the higher revs. I have PSE permanently unplugged. I thought I might need an open / closed option, so bought a Carnewal controller, but now that it's installed I don't see a need. Will use that on my insanely loud 7RS instead.

https://youtu.be/CDdYXe5HEIs

https://youtu.be/L0U3FTkLPb4

https://youtu.be/QQ_4PdodLoI
Jordan did you wrap the Meteor Gray R lol?
Old 06-28-2024, 11:09 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andy7777
Jordan did you wrap the Meteor Gray R lol?
Hahahaha. Long, surreal story. The short version is that I got a lead on a P.Dot literally within hours of Meteor arriving, and a few hours later, I had done a thing . . .
Old 06-28-2024, 11:13 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Hahahaha. Long, surreal story. The short version is that I got a lead on a P.Dot literally within hours of Meteor arriving, and a few hours later, I had done a thing . . .
Oh c'mon, don't leave us hanging, unless your wife/partner is reading this you gotta explain. It sounds next level.
Old 06-28-2024, 11:36 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Oh c'mon, don't leave us hanging, unless your wife/partner is reading this you gotta explain. It sounds next level.
Lol. So, I gave up hunting PDot, convinced it would take months or longer to find one, let alone manual w/ buckets. Meteor car seemed a great car at a reasonable price, and I was happy to have won it. I was also bidding on the black low mileage car on PCar but lost out to GrandPrix, which is slightly ironic because . . .

Meteor shows up, I take it out for inaugural spin, and come back to a message from a fellow RLer that GrandPrix, where I bought my Pumpkin, has a Peridot incoming. I message my contact there and he confirms. So I immediately start the mental gymnastics of whether I can / should / need to find a way to secure the Peridot car.

Napkin math ensues, and a few hours later, I end up making a trade + cash offer, which GP accepts without hesitation. I feel super weird about the whole thing, but end up pulling the trigger. Shortest car ownership in history.

Peridot is wonderful. Buckets, 34k, manual. I promptly put on fresh Nankang, RSS toe, RSS camber plates, GT3 master, RSS harness bar, Soul catless, and Softronic tune. Just installed Numeric and Alcantara e-brake / shift boot yesterday. It performed flawlessly at Barber last weekend despite 100 degree ambient weather.
The following users liked this post:
islaTurbine (06-28-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 08:07 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Lol. So, I gave up hunting PDot, convinced it would take months or longer to find one, let alone manual w/ buckets. Meteor car seemed a great car at a reasonable price, and I was happy to have won it. I was also bidding on the black low mileage car on PCar but lost out to GrandPrix, which is slightly ironic because . . .

Meteor shows up, I take it out for inaugural spin, and come back to a message from a fellow RLer that GrandPrix, where I bought my Pumpkin, has a Peridot incoming. I message my contact there and he confirms. So I immediately start the mental gymnastics of whether I can / should / need to find a way to secure the Peridot car.

Napkin math ensues, and a few hours later, I end up making a trade + cash offer, which GP accepts without hesitation. I feel super weird about the whole thing, but end up pulling the trigger. Shortest car ownership in history.

Peridot is wonderful. Buckets, 34k, manual. I promptly put on fresh Nankang, RSS toe, RSS camber plates, GT3 master, RSS harness bar, Soul catless, and Softronic tune. Just installed Numeric and Alcantara e-brake / shift boot yesterday. It performed flawlessly at Barber last weekend despite 100 degree ambient weather.
You're a dedicated man, I admire your persistence. Welcome to the Peridot club, it isn't very big. Mine just turned 38,000 miles this week. Buckets, 6speed, light on options. I added PSE when I got the car 6 years ago when it was less expensive than now. I'm using an FVD Brombacher tune, just got some new 18 inch wheels and that's about it. Still mulling whether to go for 200 cat FVD headers. I use the car for a few DEs a year but I'm no longer as serious about it as I used to be, and want to not have a headache when I drive it on the street. Both you and ZachL have catless, that's not where I think I want to go.

The following users liked this post:
jreifler (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 12:36 PM
PTSGT3
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

That sounds fantastic, thanks for sharing

How does power feel with the headers and tune compared to stock?

Last edited by PTSGT3; 06-29-2024 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-29-2024, 02:34 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

You're a dedicated man, I admire your persistence. Welcome to the Peridot club, it isn't very big. Mine just turned 38,000 miles this week. Buckets, 6speed, light on options. I added PSE when I got the car 6 years ago when it was less expensive than now. I'm using an FVD Brombacher tune, just got some new 18 inch wheels and that's about it. Still mulling whether to go for 200 cat FVD headers. I use the car for a few DEs a year but I'm no longer as serious about it as I used to be, and want to not have a headache when I drive it on the street. Both you and ZachL have catless, that's not where I think I want to go.
Thanks! Interesting saga for sure. Couldn’t be happier with it now. I was very pleasantly surprised with how docile it is around town. I’m in the same boat as you in that I wanted this car to strike a balance between streetable manners and track ability. It’s almost perfect in that respect. If you gently apply throttle, it truly sounds nearly stock with some burble. But stab it / wind out past 5, and you get the results in the videos. 200 cell would be even more restrained. Definitely should try it.

Originally Posted by PTSGT3
That sounds fantastic, thanks for sharing

Noticeable bump with the combo. Torque curve feels nice and flat and there’s a good kick in power from 3-7.
Old 07-01-2024, 01:08 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Great videos! Makes me want to go home right now and swap out my daily 4Runner for the R.

Originally Posted by PTSGT3
I have the same setup. It rips up top where the headers really help out. On my dyno sheet prior to the tune (only headers, no tune, same dyno, same location, same ambient temps, same correction settings), it showed no loss in torque down low (dyno starts at 2,600 RPM) with gains starting from about 4,000 RPM peaking at 25-30whp. This was all on a Mustang dyno (known to typically read lower than Dynojet and others).

Last edited by Zach L; 07-01-2024 at 01:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Someone Convince Me On Headers (Or Not)