Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder Livability

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 02:20 PM
Caveman Smash
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spyder Livability

Hello y’all,

I have lusted after the 987 Spyder for years and I am finally in the position to pursue a clean example. I know it’s not a grand tourer, but I am curious how it performs with the top up on longer drives. How do you rate the wind noise? Can the AC adequately cool the cabin on summer day? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2023, 02:33 PM
Dana R
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 26 Posts

The Spyder does really well on long drives with the top up. I even leave the rear window out, and it's not that noisy. I actually love the versatility of the top, but as a daily driver, putting the top up and down several times a day would get really old. That's why I daily an ND Miata, where the top takes 2 seconds to put up and down.

My wife and I drove 2 3/4 hours down to the start of a PCA rally last week, and then drove the rally route and then drove back home. 9+ hours of driving, and I wasn't particularly tired. Hope this helps your decision. It's an event every time I drive it.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:42 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Caveman Smash
Hello y’all,

I have lusted after the 987 Spyder for years and I am finally in the position to pursue a clean example. I know it’s not a grand tourer, but I am curious how it performs with the top up on longer drives. How do you rate the wind noise? Can the AC adequately cool the cabin on summer day? Thanks in advance.
Both of my Spyders have 57,000 miles on the odometer so they can be lived with on a regular basis.

The air con is easily able to keep up with our Summer. The top is waterproof in any deluge I’ve been through and it isn’t overly noisy on the open road.

Possible pain points are the transmission choice. I think PDK is the choice for regular daily driving. Sofas are better than buckets, for the same reason. The suspension is fixed and firm. It can get crashy over rough roads.

It is a great back road car, is reliable and has few downsides.

Old 08-20-2023, 04:00 PM
Spyder_2011
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 109 Posts

Mines dedicated to back road driving only and for that purpose there’s not many cars that can offer the same overall experience. Those backroad drives are usually a few hours and few hundred miles long and I never come away feeling like my body took a beating. I wouldn’t change a thing and in fact at 12 years ownership it’s the longest I’ve ever owned a car and not done much in the way of modifications.

On the highway with the top down or up it can get a little loud when passing trucks or larger vehicles. If you run the top only and not the back the wind noise can also get loud when the windows are down but only at higher speeds, otherwise its like having a convertible with a sun shade to keep things from getting too hot. I wouldn’t want a Spyder as a DD and I don’t find it convenient for running errands unless it’s to pick up some pastries on an early Sunday morning.

I won’t get into the seats and transmission since it seems everyone has their preference.

Good luck with the search, seems a no stories example is getting pretty hard to find.
Old 08-20-2023, 06:39 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

I echo those sentiments - the Gen-1 Spyder is an AMAZING car that exceeds the sum of it's parts. But it's a hill climbing, back roads, canyon carver, a dedicated driving tool, not a grocery getter to run to COSTCO for a case of something. There are way cheaper and available cars for those duties. I think the best combo I had was a 987.2 Spyder and my VW Golf MK VI. Golf perfect for ripping around the city, throwing stuff in the back and the Spyder for those oh-so-glorious top-down rips.
The following 3 users liked this post by Zeus993:
John McM (08-21-2023), Miggytosh (08-21-2023), Spyder_2011 (08-20-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 03:43 AM
Miggytosh
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 69 Posts

I just returned from Monterey Car week and spent a lot of time in my Spyder over several days. I have Sofas and PDK and from a comfort perspective it can be a slightly roughish ride (it is a sportscar) but after many hours behind the wheel I've never felt beat up and loved driving every moment of the drive - I will never sell this car. The AC is great and I personally don't mind taking the top on and off often (it's really not hard). I am sensitive to sound though and it can be loud with the top off or just the top on with the back-window off. If I know I will be on the road for 3+l hours I tend to leave the top on and back-window installed. If I am only on the road for a few hours and it's super sunny then maybe the top only. Freeway speeds with top only or top off but windows up is about the same noise level. Windows down/top off is the nosiest but the most glorious. If I really want to manage noise I use a pair of AirPods Pro 2 with Transparency mode enabled to cut the noise level down without blocking out the engine noise or traffic noise.
The following 2 users liked this post by Miggytosh:
John McM (08-21-2023), Zeus993 (08-21-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 02:25 PM
will007
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 30 Posts

Just back from two trips from Marin county to Pebble Beach for the Car Week and both time drove with the top off. A little rain shower early on Sunday morning driving down did not require a stop to put up the top. ;-) -- just drive faster! The Spyder is my "daily" drive and I typically drive 1-3 times a week at most anywhere (not a commuter anymore). It is a perfect golf "car(t)" as I keep my clubs in the trunk at all times and two folding chairs and a blanket in the frunk for trips to the beach or racetrack.

Out of 100 trips, I might have the top up one time and without the back window. I am fortunate to have a garage to keep the car when it sits. On outings I have a lightweight tonneau cover (see one of my posts for more info) that rolls into a small shape that I can put behind the driver seat. Only takes a few seconds to cover the car.

When I have driven with both the top up and back window -- usually a long highway drive to the mountains during winter season when I want warmth. For summer it would only be the top, and just to help with conversation with a passenger. In both cases the noise is minimal. I know driving near high walls or the lower deck of a bridge it can get really noisy and I also don't like really loud noises. For that I have a set of ear plugs.

AC system is great and never an issue --top down or up -- when driving though the Central Valley where it can get above 95F or more in the summer.

Hope you make the leap and enjoy!

Last edited by will007; 08-21-2023 at 02:28 PM. Reason: adding content
Old 08-21-2023, 08:50 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,087 Posts

When I can locate one I plan to make it my main driver as we'll sell my wife's macan and she'll drive my taycan cross tour until the macan EV is released.

I don't commute and we only need one 'hauling stuff around car'.

I live on the coast in Socal, so pretty much perfect place for one. Shouldn't have sold the 981 spyder I had.

I am reminded that I burn easily... I do have lots of good sunscreen.

Those complaining about AC haven't spent much time in classic 911s!
Old 08-21-2023, 09:22 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 414 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I echo those sentiments - the Gen-1 Spyder is an AMAZING car that exceeds the sum of it's parts. But it's a hill climbing, back roads, canyon carver, a dedicated driving tool, not a grocery getter to run to COSTCO for a case of something. There are way cheaper and available cars for those duties. I think the best combo I had was a 987.2 Spyder and my VW Golf MK VI. Golf perfect for ripping around the city, throwing stuff in the back and the Spyder for those oh-so-glorious top-down rips.
Totally agree, though I did make a pit stop at our local Costco yesterday on my way home in my Spyder.
The following users liked this post:
Zeus993 (08-22-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 10:15 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
Totally agree, though I did make a pit stop at our local Costco yesterday on my way home in my Spyder.
Yes - it definately has the room in the frunk for a tank of propane (done it), couple bags of groceries etc... while still have the truck for other stuff. In actual fact it does have a tone of room.

Quick Reply: Spyder Livability