Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Buying a 2nd Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 12:31 AM
LazySumday
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Buying a 2nd Porsche

I grew up with modest means. As an adult I have been blessed with a beautiful family, great career and good health. I have owened one Porsche or another since the age of 32 and I currently have a 997 911 Turbo Tip. I love this car and it check a lot of boxes for me and I have not intention of selling it. I daily drive a Tesla Model S. My cars are paid for and I have always had an itch for a Boxster Spyder. I am zeroing in on a great specimen at this time but I want to get Porschphiles opinions on owning more than one Porsche at once. I am able to responsibly purchase the 987 Spyder with minimal impact on me financially. I have my own business and I am saving for retirement. I am 45 year old, but I always think back to myself as a young kid with minimal means. No one needs two Porsches, but I sure do want a manual and since my first Porsche as a Cayman, I remember the handling experieince of that I sort of want to repeat that now more than 10 years later. I feel it will scratch a great itch. How have some of you justified purchasing a second Porsche? I know this is a mental hangup for me more than anything, but I am wondering if anyone has been in the same boat or have you guys simply said "life is short, enjoy what you want?
Old 08-20-2023, 02:45 AM
Spyder_2011
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 109 Posts

Trust me, it will scratch the itch and then some.

To your question at hand, you’re capital outlay to purchase the car is safe and even if we hit a recession you might lose maybe 10% but over the long haul lets just say the money is sitting in a safe as long as you maintain the car cosmetically and mechanically. With these cars the bulk of the ownership cost is the maintenance. For the most part your major services are every 30k miles or 5 years and you’ll need new tires on a similar schedule.

As far as justifying it, if you have the money then why not?

By the way, you have some incredible scenery out your way, I love driving on the Pacheco Pass. Perfect place for the Spyder, you can even catch the salad smell emanating from the garlic and onion factory when the tops down 😉.

Old 08-20-2023, 03:07 AM
P T
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Very different machines, just same badge

​​​so essentially you are buying an entire different vehicle

Would you think in the same way if it was a Lotus, Lambo or other badge for a roadster type car?
Old 08-20-2023, 09:20 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 145 Posts

If you've taken care of those who depend on you, and don't need the cash for immediate expenses, treat the cost of the second Porsche as a potentially poor investment. Your Spyder will probably cost a few thousand a year in insurance and upkeep, but may appreciate slightly over a few years. Don't get the cash for the car from your retirement savings.

As for owning two of them simultaneously, been there, done that. It's a lot of fun.
Old 08-20-2023, 09:58 AM
scootr
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 122 Posts

I've only had one Porsche, a Boxster S and it is by far the best driving I've owned. I've had as many as 3 sport cars at once. Down to 2 now which is much more manageable. Sad to see hot cars sitting in a garage week after week. Life is short. Work hard. Play hard.
Old 08-20-2023, 10:10 AM
Gatornapper
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

I have four Porsche's and have owned 6. Newest is '11 Cayman S I've had for 10 years and I'll never sell - but the one other P-car I'd love is the Spyder. I have the means but at 78 think I'd better leave my assets in real estate where I've done very well.

The mid-engine P-cars are so different from the 997. Most 911 owners love them.

Go for it. Just hope you share some of your prosperity with good charities. Samaritan's Purse is a good one.

GN
The following users liked this post:
Zeus993 (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 10:50 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatornapper
I have four Porsche's and have owned 6. Newest is '11 Cayman S I've had for 10 years and I'll never sell - but the one other P-car I'd love is the Spyder. I have the means but at 78 think I'd better leave my assets in real estate where I've done very well.

The mid-engine P-cars are so different from the 997. Most 911 owners love them.

Go for it. Just hope you share some of your prosperity with good charities. Samaritan's Purse is a good one.

GN
I echo your viewpoint Gatornapper. I too balance my P-car spending with charity donations and work. Makes a nice balance between the two.

My only advice to you at 78 would be to follow the proverbial "You can sleep in your car but you can't drive your house".
Old 08-20-2023, 11:07 AM
Keith Guidus
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

As one of our PCA members said" You can spend a lot more but can't have more fun tham a Boxster"
Old 08-20-2023, 11:08 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by scootr
I've only had one Porsche, a Boxster S and it is by far the best driving I've owned. I've had as many as 3 sport cars at once. Down to 2 now which is much more manageable. Sad to see hot cars sitting in a garage week after week. Life is short. Work hard. Play hard.
I 100% agree with you. I was up to 4 P-cars, 1 BMW E60 and 1 VW Golf Mk VI at one time. And it was sad to see them sitting there. The 993 started to develop all kinds of oil leaks etc...
So I'm now down to just the BMW, the VW, and a Macan GTS (different city) and a Porsche sports car on it's way in. Life is fast, work hard, help others, drive fast.

Last edited by Zeus993; 08-20-2023 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-23-2023, 01:20 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 300 Posts

For as few as there are, the 987 Spyder is relatively common to be owned as a 2nd Porsche. Many are owned by folks who also own an aircooled 911 or a 2000's era TT 911. I think it's a great compliment to a 911 coupe.

I am looking at going in the opposite direction... own a Cayman R I have no intention to sell and have been looking at Targa/Cab aircooled 911 as a compliment. If I'm honest, the mid-engine cars make better droptops than the 911, so your situation is ideal having the 911 for your coupe. I just like my Cayman R too much.

Good luck in your search!
Old 08-23-2023, 01:47 PM
Keith Guidus
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

We bought our Targa in 1984 and put 70K until 1990. Then started riding Harleys and did Sturgis from CA 5 times that decade so 911 sat a bit except for us using for business trips to Yuma(winter time),San Luis Obispo, Palmdale etc. Still riding bikes with 3 HDs and BMW GS in garage.We have 132K on 911 and the AC has always sucked. So since we are slowing down on 2 wheels (71 and 69) we thought a Boxster would be nice. Found a 2006 at Porsche Palm Springs on 4/1/23 for $22,900 w/43K on it and now have 47K on it. Wifes car now and we did water pump anf AOS service to be worry free on drives. Also PS4S now and shopping for new radio as wife wants CD player in new radio. Did send snail mail to second owner and he confirmed CARFAX info and truly misses the car.
By all means-buy another!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Buying a 2nd Porsche