Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Intermittent Seatbelt chime / gong

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 12:36 PM
Skid
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Intermittent Seatbelt chime / gong

Anytime there’s relaxation of pull on the the driver lap belt the seatbelt chime activates. A slight tug on chest strap to tighten the lap portion of the belt cures it but am looking for a real fix. Seems the sensor in the latch mechanism needs tension on it. I’ve tried the dryer sheet trick on the belt insert plate but it did not make a difference. Thanks. EDIT: Would consider pulling the appropriate fuse as a stop gap but it’s not clear from the fuse map which one it is. Also its likely not a dedicated fuse so would probably disarm a few other needed things, but if anyone knows the right fuse, lemme know.

Last edited by Skid; 07-23-2023 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2023, 06:16 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

The chime in the 987.2 Spyder is irritating enough when the door is open, nevermind it going off randomly like you describe. I fee for you!

I looked for fuses etc.. to disable it but finally concluded I would have to pull the instrument speedo cluster to get to it to and tape it (at least) to muffle it.

Does the sealbelt warning light come on in the instrument speedo cluster as well or just the chime?
Old 07-27-2023, 09:49 AM
Skid
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Does the sealbelt warning light come on in the instrument speedo cluster as well or just the chime?
The warning light comes on too. It’s all just as if you unlatch the seatbelt while driving. And sometimes I do that, unlatch and relatch while driving to see if that solves anything. But as soon as there’s a relaxation of lap belt tension, like shifting yer butt or even a big exhale, the chime and warning light start again.
Old 07-27-2023, 10:27 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skid
The warning light comes on too. It’s all just as if you unlatch the seatbelt while driving. And sometimes I do that, unlatch and relatch while driving to see if that solves anything. But as soon as there’s a relaxation of lap belt tension, like shifting yer butt or even a big exhale, the chime and warning light start again.
I wonder if plugging in code reader like a BlueDriver would pick up anything?

BlueDriver Bluetooth Pro OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scan Tool and Check Engine Light Code Reader for iPhone and Android

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Zeus993; 07-27-2023 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-17-2023, 11:32 AM
DasCayman
Instructor

Received 140 Likes on 48 Posts

You can disable this with a scan tool. This happened to my Spyder. Let me know if you want me to show you how to do this. Otherwise you'll have to replace the receptacle. This is the scan tool I used to reprogram my Spyder gong chime: https://amzn.to/48gI0Zz
Old 09-18-2023, 11:16 AM
Skid
Instructor

Originally Posted by DasCayman
You can disable this with a scan tool. This happened to my Spyder. Let me know if you want me to show you how to do this. Otherwise you'll have to replace the receptacle. This is the scan tool I used to reprogram my Spyder gong chime: https://amzn.to/48gI0Zz
. Thanks DasCayman, I was just starting to delve into the code reader market as I do maintenance /oil changes on 4 vehicles and a motorbike and want to be able to reset maintenance alerts. Seems a higher-end one like this also allows you to do some reprogramming or at least ignores. The one you use is specifically noted as being Porsche functional.. should it work on late model Volvo and GMC as well?
Old 09-18-2023, 01:32 PM
DasCayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Skid
. Thanks DasCayman, I was just starting to delve into the code reader market as I do maintenance /oil changes on 4 vehicles and a motorbike and want to be able to reset maintenance alerts. Seems a higher-end one like this also allows you to do some reprogramming or at least ignores. The one you use is specifically noted as being Porsche functional.. should it work on late model Volvo and GMC as well?
It will be able to read CEL's on any vehicle but will not be able to do any special function programming on the GMC or Volvo. For example, disable the seatbelt gong in your Volvo or GMC, but it will tell you if your mass air flow sensor is bad on any of your vehicles.

To be able to have the chance to program any vehicle you need a bi-directional controller. I bought this for all my various cars that I own and work on: https://amzn.to/3LrWV9F

Last edited by DasCayman; 09-18-2023 at 01:36 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 09-18-2023, 02:07 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

That scan tool link goes to an ad, I'd be very interested in finding a tool that disables the seatbelt chime that doesn't cost $1000.
Old 09-18-2023, 02:31 PM
DasCayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by andy7777
That scan tool link goes to an ad, I'd be very interested in finding a tool that disables the seatbelt chime that doesn't cost $1000.
This is the scan tool I started out with that doesn't cost $1000 for Porsche. The $1000 ones let you do this to "all" makes and models. This one from Foxwell works great and is budget friendly: Foxwell. I've been using it for years. Cheers
Old 09-18-2023, 02:34 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

This is the scan tool I started out with that doesn't cost $1000 for Porsche. The $1000 ones let you do this to "all" makes and models. This one from Foxwell works great and is budget friendly: Foxwell. I've been using it for years. Cheers
Thanks much appreciated!

I've got a 5-point harness in my car for track days, would love to disable the gong without bypassing the sensor. The Foxwell will let me do that?
Old 09-18-2023, 02:58 PM
DasCayman
Instructor

Thanks much appreciated!

I've got a 5-point harness in my car for track days, would love to disable the gong without bypassing the sensor. The Foxwell will let me do that?
Yes that Foxwell will let you do that. I too have 6 point harness in my 987.1 Cayman S track car. I went into the special functions of the scanner and disabled the seatbelt sensor for the driver and passenger. This does not affect the airbags. When I get home Friday I will make a video and put it on my YT channel that goes over this and share it with you and others interested in this feature. I'll make it step by step.
Old 09-18-2023, 03:00 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Yes that Foxwell will let you do that. I too have 6 point harness in my 987.1 Cayman S track car. I went into the special functions of the scanner and disabled the seatbelt sensor for the driver and passenger. This does not affect the airbags. When I get home Friday I will make a video and put it on my YT channel that goes over this and share it with you and others interested in this feature. I'll make it step by step.
That would be great, looking forward to it.

My other great wish is disabling the TPMS sensor warning. It bugs me to no end on the track.
Old 09-19-2023, 05:54 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 308 Posts

No need for a scan tool. I had the same issue with the seatbelt in my Cayman R. It's the physical connection at the sensor in the belt receptacle. I sprayed DeoxIT liberally down into the receptacle and pressed the button many times as if releasing the belt. That fixed the issue. It came back about 6 months later and I did the same thing and it solved it again. Also, wrap the belt receptacle in a big towel to avoid getting any spray/drips on your seat. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Zeus993 (09-22-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 11:57 AM
DasCayman
Instructor

That would be great, looking forward to it.

My other great wish is disabling the TPMS sensor warning. It bugs me to no end on the track.
Hey just wanted to follow up on this. This should really help you out.

Old 11-15-2023, 07:12 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Ordered.

And THANK YOU~!

Last edited by Zeus993; 11-16-2023 at 07:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Seatbelt chime / gong