Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Cayman R, PDK, no Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 08:09 PM
tcal765
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cayman R, PDK, no Sport Chrono

Would a Cayman R with PDK and no sport chrono (which do exist, one is for sale now) have upgraded PDK software? Or would it have the same (very conservative) software of a PDK Cayman Base/S without sport chrono?
Old 09-22-2022, 09:04 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

I've never heard that the Cayman R PDK was different. You can add Sport/Sport+ the the 09-12 Cayman/Boxsters. I added it my 09 Boxster and Sport+ transformed the car on the track.
Old 09-26-2022, 01:26 AM
tcal765
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I answered my own question. Based on the my reading of the official Cayman R press release, it looks like this to me:

Cayman Base/S
1. Regular "comfort" PDK mode.
2. Press Sport button, and get a snappier, more aggressive PDK mode for the street.
3. Press Sport Plus button and get PDK track mode and launch control.

Cayman R:
1. Regular mode is sportier version of Base/S "Sport" mode.
2. Press sport button and PDK doesn't change, but engine/PSM go into sport mode.
3. Press Sport Plus button and get PDK track mode and launch control.

Porsche does something similar with the 718 GT4, except there is no Sport Plus button. Its in Sport mode already, and if you press Sport you go into track mode.

At least that's my reading of press release below. It doesn't make all of the above explicit, its more implicit.

Its not a super important point, since most Cayman R's have Sport Chrono (but not all, because it was an option). I wonder if any Cayman R owners with Sport Chrono have noticed that there is little or no change to PDK strategy when you press Sport button?

From Cayman R press release:

The gear-shift strategy provided by the PDK has been thoroughly revised for the radical, puristic Porsche Cayman R. This leads to even more agility for the mid-engine sports car in all operating areas. The adaptive changing in the more sporty gearing coordination now takes place after only a few accelerator pedal movements, the transmission electronics reacts more quickly and more directly to the driver's requirement for more sportiness. This means that the vehicle retains its power in all gears, acceleration out of bends is possible with much higher power transfer to the wheels, and the driver is connected directly to the engine and transmission via the accelerator pedal. The agility has also been improved during braking maneuvers just before tight bends. The braking shift-downs are more spontaneous and carried out at a higher engine speeds, which means earlier. Overall, the engine speed level between neutral and the shift speed up to the next highest gear has been adapted to the high-revving engine.

If the selector lever is set to D, gear-changing takes place completely automatically. In contrast to the other Cayman Coupés, the shifting points have been adjusted much later in each program so that the driver can make full use of the engine speed range. In combination with the PDK the Porsche Cayman R has been fitted with a three-spoke sports steering wheel with gear-shift paddles, of which the right-hand paddle is responsible for shifting up and the left-hand for shifting down. The transmission response times in automatic and manual modes have been shortened even more in comparison with the other Cayman Coupés so that the driver can take direct control of power which is transmitted from the wheels to the road. Clutch operation takes place without driver action in every case. Gears one to six are spaced sportingly - the Porsche Cayman R achieves top speed in sixth gear. The seventh gear is designed with a higher gear ratio for less fuel consumption.

Sport Chrono package with Launch Control and racing gear-change strategy

Things get even better. In order to use the new Cayman R's potential to its fullest, Porsche now offers the Sport Chrono or Sport Chrono Plus packages for the mid-engine sports car. The sport button in the centre console is used to activate the sport mode for both the engine and Porsche Stability Management (PSM). If the vehicle is equipped with PDK the Sport Plus button, which programs the double-clutch transmission for especially rapid gear shifting, is fitted. This means that an uncompromisingly sporty shift program is activated for the very best in driving performance on the circuit.

On top of this, the Sport Plus program allows activation of the so-called Launch Control for the best possible starting acceleration. To achieve this racing start, the driver has to actuate the brake pedal with his left foot and use his right foot to press the accelerator pedal right down (kick-down). This regulates the engine to a speed of 6500 rpm. As soon as the driver takes his foot off the brake pedal, the vehicle starts with the maximum possible acceleration. The Porsche Cayman R manages 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in only 4.7 seconds, in other words 2/10 of a second quicker than before.
Old 09-28-2022, 07:49 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 299 Posts

Disregarding transmission, the biggest advantage of Sport Chrono is being able to turn off the Soft Rev-limiter and the the raise thresholds for ABS and traction control, which is significant for autocross (hard limiter especially) and track driving (trail brake and throttle steer without interference). That's why it was a requirement of mine, along with manual transmission.

Quick Reply: Cayman R, PDK, no Sport Chrono