Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Talk me off the ledge

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 03:20 PM
plafondles
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I think you need to have one open top in your fleet for those beautiful Virginia spring, summer, & fall drives. No better option than the Spyder.

Your post makes it seem you want a two door/ four seat option. With that, you have two "similar" types of cars in your signature; The R8 & GT3. Can you part with one of those and pick up your two door/four seat sports car with cash left over?
Old 09-22-2021, 04:08 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by bassie81
There is a device to switch off passengers airbag. Put in a childseat and your son can ride the spyder with you. Or he will have to wait a year or so (which will pass in no time).

which of you other cars did you actually like so much you bought the same one three times over???
I FORGOT ABOUT THIS! Thank you!! That is a great idea for giving him the option to go for a ride on occasion!
Point well made and taken!!
Originally Posted by LμL
Gotta agree with the crowd here. The cars you listed are strictly worse then the 987 beside the 981. If I was in your shoes I'd consider trying something outside of Germany since your whole garage is basically that.(beside the Range)
Some thoughts:
Lexus LC
Ferrari Cali
Nissan GTR
AM Vantage
Alfa 4C
Corvette C8
Skyline R32-R34
Acura NSX
Dodge Viper
Dodge Hellcat redeye

Good luck fun decision to make!
Thanks for the suggestions!
I had a C7 Grand Sport that I really liked but I hate the look for the C8 for now. When the Z06 shows up I am hoping it balances out the look of the ugly wide butt and the way the roof goes into it.
Looked at and almost bought an AM Vantage - both previous gen GT and the new one. Previous gen GT model was very uninspiring. Seriously considered the new one with a stick. But ultimately I think that is more of a replacement for the R8 or GT3 and both those cars are better than the AM I think.
None of the others have any appeal to me personally.

Originally Posted by MezgerFan
Matt, this is your THIRD Spyder...you keep selling and regretting and coming back. Buy an M2 if you want, fun car. Buy a 981 Spyder if you want, fantastic car. But don't sell the 987!!!
Point well taken!! (as noted above also)

Originally Posted by Sean L.
Do not get a BMW. That is a company that has completely lost its way. And, yes, I have driven them. Hideous designs across the board. And they have completely diluted and ruined the M badge. It used to mean something, not any longer. I am sure that you have heard the cliche, M used to mean Motorsports, now it just means Marketing. X6M anyone?
I see your point and can agree for the most part. I liked my prior M3s but never loved them. They were primarily daily drivers at the time and for that I think they were ok. Just not super exciting by any means.

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
how about an evora gt for a change? they have (tiny)backseats that can be used with carseat if no one is sitting at passenger seat. Or just take it easy & drive your son around with one of the boosters that fit the buckets
Was just looking at these last night online. Not in love with the look and no dealers anywhere close. But it is lightweight and supposedly fun so maybe a consideration at some point in the future. Just not convinced at the moment.
Originally Posted by plafondles
I think you need to have one open top in your fleet for those beautiful Virginia spring, summer, & fall drives. No better option than the Spyder.
Yes you are correct on this!
Your post makes it seem you want a two door/ four seat option. With that, you have two "similar" types of cars in your signature; The R8 & GT3. Can you part with one of those and pick up your two door/four seat sports car with cash left over?
I will always have a GT3 from here on. I went without one for a few years and it truly is my favorite car. Whether I get a 992 and sell the 991.2 remains to be decided. But it will not be replaced.
The R8 is hard to beat for its V10. I have considered selling it but ultimately decided to keep for now. I have done some upgrades and I am waiting on my Competition wing and splitter to arrive. It is sort of my "track" car for now. But its a great road car and I am not ready to part with it. I think the look and feel and especially sound is worth keeping it.

Thank you all for your responses! It has helped me to weigh things out.
I don't think I will sell the Spyder.
I think I am off the ledge for now.

If I decide to try and talk my wife into selling the new Etron GT and getting an M3 we will see if that gets me anywhere. But the e-tron GT is gorgeous to my eyes and its fast - just not a sports car and surely doesnt sound like one. The M3 is definitely not a looker....
The following 2 users liked this post by GT3 Nut:
Miggytosh (09-22-2021), Yc911Kid (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 04:09 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
I won’t talk you off the ledge…rather guide you … get off the ledge keep the gen 1 Spyder end of the consideration…the overall package and presentation it doesn’t get much better and when you look at your other members in the stable who has it better than you and you know what they say … 3rd time is the charm
Thank you. good points!
Old 09-22-2021, 06:56 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 70 Posts

it appears you are able to afford some very nice sports cars, if you are looking for contrasting styles/feel/drive experience have you considered air-cooled? You can go old school late 60's, early 70's 911 do some upgrades on them and they are said to be a blast to drive on the twisties, you could go into the 87-89 Turbos, you could go 964 RS, 993 S, or resto-mods (check elferspot). some of the restos are gorgeous and capable and would be a compliment/contrast to your current stable and keep the Spyder.

Last edited by grgallo; 09-22-2021 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:50 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by grgallo
it appears you are able to afford some very nice sports cars, if you are looking for contrasting styles/feel/drive experience have you considered air-cooled? You can go old school late 60's, early 70's 911 do some upgrades on them and they are said to be a blast to drive on the twisties, you could go into the 87-89 Turbos, you could go 964 RS, 993 S, or resto-mods (check elferspot). some of the restos are gorgeous and capable and would be a compliment/contrast to your current stable and keep the Spyder.
I would love an earlier 911 or a 993 or maybe a 964. That website has some sweet cars....
I had a 1995 993 for a while and regret selling that one..
Problem is I just want to add more cars but I know I can't....
Not sure if I should thank you for that....it may cost me too much hahahaha.
I think I may just hang onto the Spyder and wait a while to see if I get bored with the R8 and go from there...
Old 09-22-2021, 11:55 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

What exactly is the issue with "... but I know I can't"? It doesn't appear to be an affordability issue. Is it a space issue? Or, your spouse just says no more than five? If it is space, consider find some storage. You can likely find a small warehouse (1000-2000 sq. ft) for $1000-$1500 per month.

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
I would love an earlier 911 or a 993 or maybe a 964. That website has some sweet cars....
I had a 1995 993 for a while and regret selling that one..
Problem is I just want to add more cars but I know I can't....
Not sure if I should thank you for that....it may cost me too much hahahaha.
I think I may just hang onto the Spyder and wait a while to see if I get bored with the R8 and go from there...
Old 09-23-2021, 12:10 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sean L.
What exactly is the issue with "... but I know I can't"? It doesn't appear to be an affordability issue. Is it a space issue? Or, your spouse just says no more than five? If it is space, consider find some storage. You can likely find a small warehouse (1000-2000 sq. ft) for $1000-$1500 per month.
affordability is questionable. I’m trying to be smart about not spending too much and honestly I would like to possibly retire early or semi-retire (46 now almost 47 and would like to retire by 50 or sooner possibly) Trying to figure that out. Have worked hard but tired of the stress of running a company. Want more time for my 2 year old. Can’t get the best years back.

space is an issue. One of garages is an oversized 2 car garage for my wife and she has the etron GT and Lincoln Navigator in there. My garage is an oversized 2 car with 2 4 posts lifts. So I have my 3 fun cars in there and my Range. I could possibly keep the Range outside if I could convince my wife to let me get another car. But she has already told me that I better not try….
besides I don’t know if I will get enough use out of all the cars. As it is I don’t use all of them enough.
I don’t like the idea of offsite storage to be honest. Sometimes I just go out and hang out in my garage to look at the cars. I like to have them close and accessible.
The following users liked this post:
MezgerFan (09-30-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 02:38 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Got it. Thanks for the clarity. Nothing wrong with keeping the daily outside if you can get domestic clearance for one more.

I live in the Midwest, storage is more plentiful and likely cheaper than the East Coast. I have a couple offsite and just rotate as the need arises.

As far as affordability, and I know that you know this, but if you buy a pre-owned Porsche (especially air-cooled), at a fair price, it is hard to lose significant money when it is time to sell.

Good luck, its a great problem, as I am sure that you know. Keep the Spyder however.

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
affordability is questionable. I’m trying to be smart about not spending too much and honestly I would like to possibly retire early or semi-retire (46 now almost 47 and would like to retire by 50 or sooner possibly) Trying to figure that out. Have worked hard but tired of the stress of running a company. Want more time for my 2 year old. Can’t get the best years back.

space is an issue. One of garages is an oversized 2 car garage for my wife and she has the etron GT and Lincoln Navigator in there. My garage is an oversized 2 car with 2 4 posts lifts. So I have my 3 fun cars in there and my Range. I could possibly keep the Range outside if I could convince my wife to let me get another car. But she has already told me that I better not try….
besides I don’t know if I will get enough use out of all the cars. As it is I don’t use all of them enough.
I don’t like the idea of offsite storage to be honest. Sometimes I just go out and hang out in my garage to look at the cars. I like to have them close and accessible.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:02 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

FYI - not selling!!
The BAT auction that closed yesterday actually convinced me I am crazy to sell.....even if it was for a high dollar amount.
These cars are not easy to replace....

If someone has a basalt black one (or maybe silver with red interior) WITH buckets and 6spd, I may consider a trade or a purchase and then sell my white one.....but will not sell outright unless I have a replacement in my hands.
Mine has about 13k miles and is excellent.
The following 2 users liked this post by GT3 Nut:
grgallo (10-27-2021), SeanPatrick31 (10-01-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 03:22 PM
WAILN6
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

That’s how I feel. I might upgrade to one with a full leather or ceramics but not selling w/o another locked up.
And with recent sales, little chance of finding another one owner car with my miles and options so……happy with what I have!

Last edited by WAILN6; 10-01-2021 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:10 PM
kaaayelll
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

Been planning on selling my Basalt + full leather, no buckets, but the auction gives me pause.
Old 10-04-2021, 01:50 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

By the way, I wrapped my car in Innozetec "Vintage Racing Green" a few weeks ago.
I LOVE the color but the wrap is far from perfect. The guy who does my stuff had a lot of trouble with this vinyl for some reason and he ran out so he didnt do the rear spoiler in green.
It looks fantastic from 5 feet away but when you get close its not great. So he is going to re-wrap everything or at least most everything that didnt turn out the way it should have.
I will get better pictures with the car outside once its redone.
Because of the initial issues with the wrap I think it made me frustrated with the car and thats why I was gonna sell. The guy was going to remove the whole wrap at first .
I was expecting much better results like he did on my RR SVR and my wife's e-tron GT.
So if he can re-wrap it and it looks good I will keep the green for a while.
He also needs to put the black stripe and Porsche logo on the side again.
The vinyl has very little orange peel so it looks like paint until you start looking closely where it didnt turn out right. But I think my guy will be able to redo it so its what I was expecting.

The following 4 users liked this post by GT3 Nut:
adam_987.2 (10-05-2021), corecar (10-04-2021), Cougarav8r (10-04-2021), Yc911Kid (10-10-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 06:01 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

A shame the wrap didn't come out nicely for you, I think with the stripes back on the sides it would look very sharp indeed in that shade. Give it another go!
Old 10-25-2021, 11:31 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Not going to lie, when I was trying to decide between Cayman R/Spyder seeing OP's old posts about selling and regretting/buying another one helped push me off the ledge to go Spyder

Quick Reply: Talk me off the ledge