Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

PPF Over or Under ==PORSCHE===

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2021 | 12:16 PM
Cam07
Rennlist Member

I recently had the black side stripes on my 987.2 Spyder replaced with the Renn Decals. They weren’t quite as tall as the originals, but very minimal difference. The decal around the rear intake vent had some little rock chips so I wanted to replace them. Couldn’t bring myself to pay up for the OEM versions and these look great. I took pictures of the spacing/gaps around the doors and they cut it to look like the original. The Renn Decals stripe (and likely the OEM replacement) was just one long strip.

I then had PPF film placed around the area around the rear intake vent & over the stripe, but the door and front fender aren’t covered. I can’t really tell a difference between the covered & uncovered portion of the stripe.

It was only $100 to put on the new stripe & have PPF film applied to that area, so I figured I could just have it replaced if I didn’t like it.

Last edited by Cam07; 03-20-2021 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-20-2021 | 02:11 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Originally Posted by Cam07
I recently had the black side stripes on my 987.2 Spyder replaced with the Renn Decals. They weren’t quite as tall as the originals, but very minimal difference. The decal around the rear intake vent had some little rock chips so I wanted to replace them. Couldn’t bring myself to pay up for the OEM versions and these look great. I took pictures of the spacing/gaps around the doors and they cut it to look like the original. The Renn Decals stripe (and likely the OEM replacement) was just one long strip.

I then had PPF film placed around the area around the rear intake vent & over the stripe, but the door and front fender aren’t covered. I can’t really tell a difference between the covered & uncovered portion of the stripe.

It was only $100 to put on the new stripe & have PPF film applied to that area, so I figured I could just have it replaced if I didn’t like it.

Thanks for the reply with real world experience. I will wait and see if Marine can post some pics. Also, if you have some pics, I would greatly appreciate it. I guess I may not even need to cover the bottom of the door, if there is little to no difference in aesthetics between PPF covered and uncovered portions of the decal.

Last edited by alemaniac; 03-20-2021 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2021 | 10:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I was traveling these past few days and only now was able to get some pictures. Personally I don’t think it’s worth putting the stripe on top, the ghosting is barely noticeable.

The following 2 users liked this post by Marine Blue:
alemaniac (03-22-2021), islaTurbine (07-17-2021)
Old 03-22-2021 | 10:41 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Sorry, I was traveling these past few days and only now was able to get some pictures. Personally I don’t think it’s worth putting the stripe on top, the ghosting is barely noticeable.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Marine!
Old 07-17-2021 | 09:41 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by alemaniac
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Marine!
@alemaniac
How did this all turn out for you? I’ll be in a similar situation very soon.
Old 07-17-2021 | 02:48 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
@alemaniac
How did this all turn out for you? I’ll be in a similar situation very soon.
Very good, in my opinion. I had Esoteric bulk wrap from where the rocker meets the front fender all the way back to where the rear fender meets the rear deck lid on top. Very hard to notice the faint ghosting, unless super close staring at it. Zero regrets filming over top of the stripe.

Last edited by alemaniac; 07-17-2021 at 04:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Esoteric_Detail (07-19-2021)
Old 07-17-2021 | 05:19 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Looks great. Did you also have them cover the area where the bimini top latches onto the rear cowl? I've heard about some owners suggesting to do that to prevent scratches from the flaps.
Old 07-17-2021 | 05:34 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Thank you. I did not wrap any of the rear deck lid. I don’t personally have any scratches or issues in that area or where the top attaches to the hooks.

I did a paint correction, new OEM side stripes, STEK PPF for the front clip plus A-pillar, mirrors, rocker into rear fender with a tuck under the side intakes, and rear impact area. So, my doors are unwrapped, as is the rear deck and most of the rear bumper. Then, I had Kamikaze Zipang ceramic coat put on all the paint and film, and the wheels were done with Kamikaze Stance.
The following users liked this post:
islaTurbine (07-17-2021)

Quick Reply: PPF Over or Under ==PORSCHE===