Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987.2 Spyder Lightweight Tonneau Cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 08:01 PM
will007
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 987.2 Spyder Lightweight Tonneau Cover

I saw on another thread that someone had made a custom cover. I found this company -- Covercraft -- can do it for you and at a great price. I only use the velcro on the mirrors and red latches and it takes less than 30 seconds to put up by yourself. When not in use I just roll it up and put behind the seat. Since buying this, I have not had the Bikini top on the car!

Here is the link and a few photos.

https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/sho...terior-covers/

The following 3 users liked this post by will007:
McClown (02-16-2024), SantaFePorsche (10-16-2020), SeanPatrick31 (10-15-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 03:10 AM
SantaFePorsche
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

What material did you order? Looks great!
Old 10-16-2020, 02:33 PM
will007
Rennlist Member

Wow, I just realized they had so many options! I chose the WeatherShield HP Interior Cover. Very lightweight. Would buy it again.
The following 2 users liked this post by will007:
SantaFePorsche (10-18-2020), Zeus993 (05-14-2023)
Old 10-16-2020, 05:44 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the pics. Looks perfect. I plan to get one next year since the Spyder is in hibernation now. I like the tan flannel but now will probably go with the Weathershield.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:59 PM
supercroc
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

will007 - Thanks for posting this. Have added this to the grills that are waiting for my car to roll off of the truck.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:35 PM
motoken
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by will007
I saw on another thread that someone had made a custom cover. I found this company -- Covercraft -- can do it for you and at a great price. I only use the velcro on the mirrors and red latches and it takes less than 30 seconds to put up by yourself. When not in use I just roll it up and put behind the seat. Since buying this, I have not had the Bikini top on the car!

Here is the link and a few photos.

https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/sho...terior-covers/

I just bought one of these based on your recommendation. Real happy with the value as well as the fit and finish. I keep the top off my spyder most of the time, and this is how I store it in the garage between drives. Haven't used it outside yet or exposed it to weather, but I think it would do well here too. Much better than the fitted sheet I have used in the past... Thanks for the recommendation!
The following users liked this post:
will007 (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 01:09 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Interesting - may have to get one of these. Great find.

Trending Topics

Old 02-04-2021, 11:46 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Okay I seriously have to ask what advantage or benefit this provides?
Why not just use the regular top? Not trying to be funny. I am not getting this.
It takes like 2-3 minutes to put the top on. I cant imaging this saving more than 30 seconds?
Old 02-05-2021, 01:25 AM
motoken
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
Why not just use the regular top? Not trying to be funny. I am not getting this.
It takes like 2-3 minutes to put the top on. I cant imaging this saving more than 30 seconds?

I drive the car as much as possible top off. Bring it home, this takes about 30 seconds to put on, less if I have a helper. Keeps the dust out while sitting in the garage. Go out, 30 seconds to remove, shove it behind the passenger seat, and off you go. Using it also reduces wear and tear on the very expensive factory top.

Jay Cordeiro (05-10-2023)
Old 02-05-2021, 10:24 AM
supercroc
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by motoken
I drive the car as much as possible top off. Bring it home, this takes about 30 seconds to put on, less if I have a helper. Keeps the dust out while sitting in the garage. Go out, 30 seconds to remove, shove it behind the passenger seat, and off you go. Using it also reduces wear and tear on the very expensive factory top.
Couldn't agree more. While factory top is easy with two people and very doable with one, the Covercraft top is maybe 25% of the effort and no chance of doing accidental damage.

On a slightly related topic, is anyone aware of a supplier that can replace the plastic Spyder rear window with Lexan or glass?

Last edited by supercroc; 02-05-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:33 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
My thought is simply less wear and tear on the factory top, won't get dirty/dusty, doesn't need to stay in "stretched" mode as often.

That said my main driving mode in the TX sun is with the top up, weathershield off - it is kind of a perfect convertible for TX in that respect - so not sure I'd have much of a use but if I'm not going to use it for a week... why not keep it clean/protected.
The following 2 users liked this post by daylorb:
alemaniac (02-07-2021), MattUF (05-25-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 12:46 AM
Cam07
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I find that if I leave the top of mine off for more than a few days that the fabric wrinkles some just behind the carbon header piece that attaches to the windshield. It’s almost like it buckles some and looks lumpy. It eventually lays back down and the wrinkles disappear, but it takes it a few days. Due to this I’ve been hesitant to leave the top off for long periods of time. Has anyone else experienced this?
Vanceman (04-10-2024)
Old 02-07-2021, 09:21 AM
alemaniac
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 81 Posts

As a fellow Spyder owner, I can see two uses for this tonneau top. First would be for storage in your garage in-between pleasant weather driving, as suggested. Second would be to keep the sun off the interior when you park on pleasant weather days, assuming you have valuables locked away and properly stowed which you should always do anyways. However, I don't see much use for it when the car is parked and you are expecting a downpour of rain, unless you wait until the rain has completely stopped and the top is completely dry. Otherwise, you are going to get water inside the vehicle when you remove the top, or, worse yet, you'll be removing the tonneau top during the rain and having to put the full top on anyways. This assumes you don't know when it will stop raining, of course. Maybe I am missing something.

Don't get me wrong, I may get one of these just to have for the first use that I mentioned (garage storage in-between drives).
Old 05-20-2021, 07:02 PM
will007
Rennlist Member

Lots of great comments. I rarely use the bikini top in my area (Marin County, CA), except for long FWY rides up to Tahoe to keep the road noise down (ear plugs also help!) So it is truly a Spyder! The tonneau is so lightweight and rolls into a small size that fits perfectly behind the seat unseen when not in use. And once you get experience with it -- tip: find the strap for one of the mirrors to start -- then it only takes less than 30 seconds to install and less time to remove for one person. The bikini top is also easy to go up and down and takes about 90 seconds total. I only use the rear window in the rare occasions when I might want to talk to the passenger next to me!

My use of the tonneau is in when the Spyder is in the garage or when I have to park in a busy location for more than 30 minutes. Will need to check on the issue of the bikini material buckling if not stretched occasionally.

And if it rains, I drive faster!
Old 06-04-2021, 09:50 PM
P_S
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

I just ordered one with promo code EVERYDAY (@will007 they should pay you a referral fee) which was good for 10% off and free shipping.

I drive my car when it's practical, and I will park it for ~4 mo in winter. This will be perfect for those eight months. $100 isn't nothing but even with the garage door closed here in leafy Connecticut there's plenty of pollen to fret about and I bet I'll drive it a little more often if waking the car up or putting the car to bed takes only 30 seconds.
will007 (06-12-2021)

Quick Reply: 987.2 Spyder Lightweight Tonneau Cover