Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

2008 Boxster RS60 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 06:17 PM
dief123
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2008 Boxster RS60 Spyder

I just purchased a used 2008 Boxster RS60 Spyder (traded in my 2002 Boxster S). I was wondering what experiences the folks in this forum have had with this car?
I never had IMS issues with my 2002 luckily, and it's my understanding this generation of the Boxster 718 has improved to where this is no longer a big issue - is this true?
What have long term owners here found with the car, any small issues/problems, etc? Overall it seems like it's heads and tails above and better than my 2002 Boxster S.
But maybe that's not saying much... the one I just bought looks and drives like it's pristine and the maintenance history I have for the entire life of the vehicle is excellent.
I'm looking forward to taking it to the track for HDPE and putting it thru it's paces. Thanks, Jim

2008 RS60

Old 08-20-2020, 06:41 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Wrong forum subsection. The 718 Spyder is a very different. This post would make more sense in the 987/981 section.

Anyway, I used to have a 987.1 base Boxster. It was impeccably reliable and great fun to drive. I wouldn’t worry about IMS bearing on this, though 2007/2008 Boxster S models were affected by bore scoring issues. If you had it boroscoped before purchase, and it came out clean, you should be fine. I’ve heard frequent startups in cold winter weather and revving high before the engine warms up can both increase the risk of bore scoring, so try to avoid doing those things.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Nice looking RS60, post up some more pictures when you can!

As far as the IMS, Porsche finally did away with it in 2009 and subsequent Boxster/Cayman engines haven’t been problematic.

From what I’m reading the IMS is typically only an issue on cars that sit for long periods of time and are not driven enough. Drive it regularly and don’t be afraid to open it up a bit.

Congrats and enjoy in good health.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:20 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 565 Posts

A good friend has had one for several years as his DD. No real issues and a great DD (as it's the only Porsche he has with AC- all the others are older air cooled examples). That was the latest IMS bearing- I believe he had it modded when he replaced the clutch, taking the seals out so it is constantly bathed in engine oil. Short of a spyder, it is a great car.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:35 AM
joliver3
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I bought my RS60 in June 2019 with 69k miles and have since put about 5k miles on it, daily driving it during good weather season and taking it on some aimless weekend drives. It sat on a Battery Tender over the winter. No real issues to report other than some age/mileage/wear-related things -- new clutch pedal switch last summer, new clutch last fall, and replaced the top elastic straps this spring. I'll probably try to do the brakes when I change the oil later this year and put new tires on it in the spring.

Mine has the black roof and interior like yours and is a super fun car to drive whenever and wherever. Enjoy it in good health!

Old 08-21-2020, 01:25 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I owned one, they are incredible cars. The best of the 987.1's and something you could keep forever IMHO. IMS isn't really an issue. Great write-up here: https://myemail.constantcontact.com/All-about-the-IMS-Bearing-in-Model-Year-2006-2008-Porsche--cars-.html?soid=1107025842595&aid=zo6tcHJl1yw#:~:text=The%20IMS%20is%20partia lly%20submerged,engine%20to%20lubricate%20the%20bearing.&text=The%20only %20IMS%20bearing%20that,engine's%20rod%20and%20main%20bearings.
The following users liked this post:
KLOC (06-02-2024)
Old 08-24-2020, 11:27 PM
Preeble
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your purchase! I acquired my RS60 in September 2019 with just under 60k miles and have put on about 3k miles since then (I have the red interior and top). So far, it has been an incredibly fun car to drive. I am not really worried about the IMS, but as a previous poster indicated, bore scoring is a more common issue with these cars (although I suspect it is really not a common issue). These are great cars with an analog feel with somewhat modern tech (except radio!).

I purchased mine from a dealer and the car was previously CPO, so it had a lot of maintenance performed on it; my understanding is that the water pump is a part that needs to be replaced on these cars (mine was at about 45k miles). I have not replaced my clutch yet, but it still feels pretty solid. No rattles or creaks in my car at all. I did replace my radio ***** as they get sticky with age. It looks like someone already installed clear side markers on your car, so that is one less thing to do.

Enjoy the car!
KLOC (06-02-2024)
Old 08-25-2020, 11:43 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
Wrong forum subsection. The 718 Spyder is a very different. This post would make more sense in the 987/981 section.

Anyway, I used to have a 987.1 base Boxster. It was impeccably reliable and great fun to drive. I wouldn’t worry about IMS bearing on this, though 2007/2008 Boxster S models were affected by bore scoring issues. If you had it boroscoped before purchase, and it came out clean, you should be fine. I’ve heard frequent startups in cold winter weather and revving high before the engine warms up can both increase the risk of bore scoring, so try to avoid doing those things.
i think he’s referring to the RS60 as the first commemoration of the original 718, which it is.

I daily drove my RS60 and the only issue was a rock chip in the windshield. Car was dead reliable. Like anything, don’t abuse it. Bore scoring of late mainly applies to DFI engines which this isn’t.
KLOC (06-02-2024)
Old 03-08-2021, 06:45 PM
dief123
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2008 Boxster RS60 Wheels/tires

The wheel/tire combination on my 2008 Boxster RS60 is great, fills the wheel wells with the offset and perform great. It seems to me they would be great 'track tires' I'm going to do HPDE and Autocross.
I do find the wheels and tire combo to be pretty jarring and rough on town roads (colorado) and yes the roads suck. And it's rough without going into 'sport mode' with the sport chrono package. I was wondering if anyone has ever gotten another set of wheels and tires for street use and then just used the ones that come on the RS60 for the track (kind of a reverse set of track tires/road tires)?
I'm thinking the next size smaller wheel and no offset would do the trick (I used to have a 2002 Boxster S). If I pursue that, do I have to be concerned about the brake discs and calipers?
Old 03-08-2021, 07:19 PM
cbeck44
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

I find the non-Sport setting to be useable on most roads. The Sport setting is definitely an amplifier of any road imperfections. I usually end up hitting sport to get the PSE, then dropping PASM for most driving. Overall, I find the non-sport mode reasonable for cruising. After many years of low profile tires and sports suspensions on most of my cars, I may have gotten use to it. I definitely have gotten in tune with avoiding imperfections in the road when possible. Spring time will always enlighten the damage from winter, but since brining the car to Florida, less worry. Love the look fo the wheel/tire setup on the RS60.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:03 PM
badaman
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone experience more than normal oil burned when in "sport mode"? My oil dropped 2 bars after a 30 miles drive up/down the mountain.

Quick Reply: 2008 Boxster RS60 Spyder