Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Need a 987 Spyder owner to do something for me..

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020 | 12:04 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Default Need a 987 Spyder owner to do something for me..

If you have the Sport seats (likely) - can you go with your camera and take detailed photos of the seat-belt-holder that's built onto the seat? I need one on my standard Boxster (belt goes right across my neck) and I want to make sure I drill into the right spots on the seat frame.

Thanks much!
Old 08-15-2020 | 12:32 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not my Spyder but a quick google search came up with the following:

Old 08-15-2020 | 01:14 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Afshin, thanks! My seat doesn't have the full fiberglass back that goes up around the headrest.

I've found:

Which seems pretty clear, but I'd love to have a real closeup of where each end is mounted. I'm guessing one end is just held by a screw and washer, the other end must be on a snap so the belt can be removed from the seat if needed (like to take the seat out of the car.)
Old 08-15-2020 | 02:24 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Can you post a picture of your seats?

Just another comment, I’m not sure the strap will actually help with the issue you’re having as it doesn’t really change where the belt is held. The mounting point of the belt is the primary issue, it’s mounted somewhat high and not adjustable.
Old 08-15-2020 | 03:33 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Let me know if you need another angle
Old 08-15-2020 | 03:38 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Or did you mean the leather strap?
Old 08-15-2020 | 04:27 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by crossroads

Or did you mean the leather strap?
Thanks - those were perfect.

And - it's a "nevermind" - I went to the garage and positioned the belt where the additional strap on the seat would hold it - and it not only didn't help, it made it worse. It basically brought it across horizontally, but now closer to my neck before it takes a turn down. So it went right across my Adam's apple. That's certainly not ideal.

I suspect I need something lower down - around where the plastic airbag cover is. Has anyone ever removed one of the airbag covers? Any clues on how they're held on? BMW had a seatbelt fixture on some Z3 seats that mounted to the seat by two pegs:

or like:

I'm thinking maybe this could be installed on the plastic air-bag cover... to lower the belt. I'm gonna have to see if the plastic cover is available separately. Mine of course is oddball-blue..

EDIT - found a video on replacing this on a Z3.. the video gives a good view of how it looks/works when installed on the Z3 seat:

This might work - just have to figure out how to get the airbag cover off/on without damaging it.

Last edited by deilenberger; 08-15-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-16-2020 | 10:58 AM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

I’m 5’9”. I don’t put the seatbelt in the holder but I can see if your torso is shorter, it would be a problem.

Maybe you could get something to hold the seatbelt onto the bottom seatbelt so it goes out more laterally. I think they had something like this to adjust the seatbelts in my daughters’ car seats.
Old 08-16-2020 | 06:16 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by crossroads

I’m 5’9”. I don’t put the seatbelt in the holder but I can see if your torso is shorter, it would be a problem.
I'm 5'7" on a tall day with a fairly short torso (actually more likely 5'6" - 70+ years does that to you) and yes - it cuts right across my neck.

Maybe you could get something to hold the seatbelt onto the bottom seatbelt so it goes out more laterally. I think they had something like this to adjust the seatbelts in my daughters’ car seats.
I bought one of those, It didn't help much on the neck problem, and it also prevents retracting the belt. Right now I have a belt stopper installed just below the buckle on the roll-bar so it can't retract far enough to be uncomfortable.

Not a simple issue. I found out after searching on the seat airbag that (1) the exposed cover is the outer wall of the airbag assembly. No way to get behind it to add anything to it. (2) The airbag is bolted to the seat-frame, which makes sense, but makes it awful to get off, much less back on.

Still in a quandary.

BTW - thanks MUCH for the photos..
Old 08-20-2020 | 10:29 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Thanks for all the help from everyone!

I finally figured out that I was going the wrong way with the sport-seat strap - it would raise the seat-belt and move it higher on my neck. Probably right below my chin. In an accident that wouldn't be good.

So as I surmised above - I needed something to guide the seat-belt lower on my body. I had a few ideas above - thinking that the plastic on the side of the seat was just a panel over the airbag - but when I searched for the part - it became obvious that panel WAS the outer shell of the airbag (the part that explodes off) and probably drilling into it and adding some screws wasn't a brilliant idea. The airbag itself is bolted to the frame inside - so that "cover" (which wasn't) was not coming off.

Back to the drawing board.

Some time ago - I was looking for something in the rear of my wife's Lexus RX350 SUV - and I spotted a "Comfort Guide" that was meant to guide the rear seat-belt to a position where it was comfortable (I assume not around people's neck.) It was a plastic clip sort of thing, with an elastic cord attached. The plastic clip went around the seat belt and could be used to pull it to one side. The belt was loaded in the clip through a slot on one side. I went to some Lexus parts websites and looked for it. I came up with the PN - and the cost gave me Lexus shock - instead of what Porsche would have charged, Lexus charged a very reasonable $5/each or so. I ordered 2. With shipping it came to about $12.00.

So - when these came - I played with them, but couldn't somehow get them in the right position to do what I needed (I think I was trying to use them too high on the belt).. so I lost one under the passenger's seat (still haven't found it) and put the other on a shelf and forgot about it.

When I finally figured out what I needed to do - move the belt back a bit - lower down - I again thought of the Lexus clip, and luckily remembered which shelf I put the one I hadn't lost on.

It took about 5 minutes to come up with a solution. The height was one issue - and fastening the end of the elastic cord was another. I finally figured out that if I pulled the rubber door gasket off the body - I could slip the elastic cord under it - and when I reinstalled the rubber gasket - it held the elastic just fine.

So - a picture:

The Lexus/Toyota "Comfort Guide"

The Comfort Guide in place

With the Comfort Guide in use

Without the Comfort Guide

Fitted with seat belt

Back of the Comfort Guide

Comfort Guide Part Number - available at your Lexus/Toyota dealer. Cheap!

What can I say...? This was one problem that really bugged me about the Boxster. It fit me perfectly except for the seat belt, and unlike many other vehicles, it had no means to adjust the turnaround hight of the belt. I'm running out of things to change about the Boxster - guess I'll just have to enjoy driving and polishing it.

Again - thanks everyone for your help!
Old 08-21-2020 | 09:25 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

That’s brilliant, I wonder why Porsche doesn’t consider using something like that with the fixed seatbelt cars.

How does it clip into the car?
Old 08-21-2020 | 10:09 AM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Excellent solution! Your persistence paid off. Glad you can enjoy your Spyder now.
The following users liked this post:
deilenberger (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020 | 04:59 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That’s brilliant, I wonder why Porsche doesn’t consider using something like that with the fixed seatbelt cars.

How does it clip into the car?
If you look at the 2nd photo - you'll see the elastic on it disappearing under the door seal. I pulled off the seal. It attaches to a standing seam holding 2 parts of the body together... (think a fin..) I just put the elastic over it - with the loop on the end on the outside of the seam and put the door seal back on. The door seal goes over the standing seam - and holds the elastic in place. No tools required, no new holes in the car. Easy. Adjust the height by where you place the elastic under the door seal.

Quick Reply: Need a 987 Spyder owner to do something for me..