Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987.2 Spyder FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 05:49 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by oilhammer
Yes, the doors, hood, and trunk are all aluminum skinned. I confirmed this with paint meters in BAT photos, as well as my own. I recall you have a meter so double check that yours will read the material on the display.
Confirmed that the hood is Aluminium.

I have a stock ‘99 986 that I fully intend to weigh along with the Spyder to get a real world weight comparison.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:35 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Confirmed that the hood is Aluminium.

I have a stock ‘99 986 that I fully intend to weigh along with the Spyder to get a real world weight comparison.
That would be great, I intend to do similar when I finally get the alignment done on my Spyder.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:55 PM
KrisA
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts

Cool thread, even for us non Spyder owners. Question, are you the same "oilhammer" who was the go to tech expert on the tdiclub forums? I was there too, took the TDI buyback and moved on to an Alltrack and 987.2 Cayman.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:29 PM
WAILN6
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by KrisA
Cool thread, even for us non Spyder owners. Question, are you the same "oilhammer" who was the go to tech expert on the tdiclub forums? I was there too, took the TDI buyback and moved on to an Alltrack and 987.2 Cayman.
No, that's not me. You are correct that I'm a diesel nerd and that's where the name stems from though. I didn't know there was another oilhammer, so I guess I need to ask a mod to change my forum name to something more appropriate to Porsche.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:49 PM
Catalyst
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
WEIGHT CLARIFICATIONS:
I’m fairly certain that the weight reduction is based upon the following items only:
- LWB
- Wheels
- Aluminum Doors
- Door skins with fabric pull strap and no door pockets
- LED Light Spars
- Lightweight roof with aluminum rear lid
- No radio
- No A/C
- Manual transmission
- no cupholders

The other weight reduction was over and above what’s listed above.
I think there is more than just this... for instance the standard plastic trim on the door sills is removed on the spyder and replaced with the "boxster spyder" script. Also the plastic hood on the gauges, interior trunk pieces. Possibly less sound-deadening.

I think we should also compile a list of parts that were completely unique to the Spyder– top, side windows, door panels, arm rests, rear decklid, wing, front bumper trim, side intake trim, wheels, swaybars, etc...
Old 09-25-2019, 02:59 PM
WAILN6
Racer

Originally Posted by Catalyst
I think there is more than just this... for instance the standard plastic trim on the door sills is removed on the spyder and replaced with the "boxster spyder" script. Also the plastic hood on the gauges, interior trunk pieces. Possibly less sound-deadening.

I think we should also compile a list of parts that were completely unique to the Spyder– top, side windows, door panels, arm rests, rear decklid, wing, front bumper trim, side intake trim, wheels, swaybars, etc...
I should clarify my intent in that section. It was to provide an option configuration to hit the weight claim, not to identify all the changes that Porsche made to the Spyder. Those changes are later on in the thread where I list all the differences between the S and the Spyder. I didn't notice the door sills were different, but I will add that!
Old 09-25-2019, 03:16 PM
Catalyst
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilhammer
I should clarify my intent in that section. It was to provide an option configuration to hit the weight claim, not to identify all the changes that Porsche made to the Spyder. Those changes are later on in the thread where I list all the differences between the S and the Spyder. I didn't notice the door sills were different, but I will add that!
No worries– personally I think it's more useful to make a list of what's unique on the Spyder versus a list of what's different between the Spyder and the S– it's a special and unique-enough car to stand entirely on its own.

In the future people won't be cross-shopping between the Spyder and a Boxster S. In the same way nobody is cross-shopping now between a 911/356 and a Speedster. Or a 964 and an RS America.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:47 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Not sure if this will be a catch-all for Spyder-related items, but here is a thread I have bookmarked on tracking the Spyder: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...ur-spyder.html
Old 09-25-2019, 05:44 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,607 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Great thread! After picking up my 2011 last year was able to find the Spyder book on eBay and Porsche press kit/salesman talking points still online. Great resources for discussions like this.

Here’s some shots of the literature. Aluminum nacelles and doors prominently mentioned, no mention of hood being aluminum— perhaps that was a standard Boxster carryover.

Old 09-26-2019, 12:05 AM
WAILN6
Racer

Interesting. So a dealer typed those up or did Porsche provide that to a dealer? That would seem to confirm (2X) that the Spyder does not have quicker steering so I think I will strike that data.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:02 AM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Catalyst

Smaller fuel tank....
The following users liked this post:
MidEngineRules (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 12:55 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

PRICES FOR OPTIONS:
- Porsche Crest in Headrest: $285 (but only available with full leather option)
- Wheel caps with colored crest: $185
- Automatic Climate Control: $1760
- Sound Package Plus: $700
- Sport Exhaust: $2810
Old 09-26-2019, 02:28 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Brilliant thread. Thank you to the OP and those who are contribut(ing). Body paint on the roll bar was a factory option (OPTION XMK): Roll Bar Paint Exterior Color. Also the door loops came in black, red and silver grey colors to my knowledge. The car that had the silver grey door pull loop also had seatbelts in the same color.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:03 PM
WAILN6
Racer

I sure wish there was a way to preserve formatting in word before cutting and pasting into the thread. The indents and font type is pretty messed up in places because of how I have cut/paste from various sources. Anyway, edits every day so slowly we'll get there with everyone's help!
Old 09-27-2019, 02:34 PM
WAILN6
Racer

Sway bar information is difficult to find. I found a few aftermarket sizes, but I don't know if they are correct. I assume these are solid, but I don't know that for sure either. Can anyone verify Spyder specific part numbers for the sways? I found numbers on sunset, but they don't say Spyder like many of the other suspension components do.

Quick Reply: 987.2 Spyder FAQ